1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Defensive Rookies?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Will, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Will

Will BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    A friend of mine was recently invited to the Chargers training camp. He's #77, DT - Charlie Bryant. I was wondering if anyone here had been to practices or heard anything about how he's doing? I watched the Seahawks game where he played the 3rd and 4th quarter. I thought he did great for a rookie. He couldn't be blocked one on one. Plus he's 6'8 320. Any info is appreciated.

2. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    I saw the 1st preseason game like you but not the practices. Best he can hope for is the PS I would imagine. There are more than enough big bodies ahead of him ie. Garay, Castillo, Liuget, Cesaire, Thomas, Martin and Nwagbuo. I haven't seen Acee (or anybody for that matter) mention him. It would be good to see him in against some front line O linemen this weekend to get a better indication of where he is at.

3. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
  4. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
  5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Big sunuvagun

6. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    yes he is, and I remember watching him go through the motions of the drills prior to them starting up every time.

7. Will

Will BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    "go through the motions" as in not trying very hard or you just remembered him?

8. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    I believe what he was saying is that he was doing "extra" practice before the practice to make sure he did it right.

9. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    A walkthrough before the walkthrough, if you will. ;)

10. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    no, going through the entire drill with his hands and feet.

11. Will

Will BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody think he's got a shot at the ps? I thought he did really well against the Seahawks and I heard the coaches like his work ethic, attitude, and versatilty for being so big.

12. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Did you hear this from himself?. Just wondering. Cos like I say I've seen nothing written about him by the likes of Acee.

13. Will

Will BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    I honestly have no idea who Acee is. I am from the other side of the country. I have only heard bits and pieces, but a couple folks who live in San Diego and went to the open practices told me that. I watched the Seahawks game myself and I am going to Dallas in a couple days to watch them game.

I just hope he gets a spot on the ps. He's about a good of a guy as you'll find with an awesome work ethic.

14. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I would sit back and wait.

He is trying to find a niche on a team that is loaded with talent. It is an uphill struggle but the Chargers are arguably one of the few teams that give as many UFDAs a real chance to make the roster.

Chances are if he does not make it on the Chargers, or their practice squad, another team might look at him. It depends on teams need, injuries etc...

He made it to camp, that is a good part of the battle, one that many of us would love to have experienced in our youth.

15. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Sounds like Garay last year. Acee writes about the Chargers for the Union Tribune (the local newspaper.) He gives various updates on players and the team via twitter and through articles online. I haven't heard anything about him but I guess if he impresses this weekend we'll know pretty soon.

16. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    I saw him at practice 4 different times. I was sitting right in front of the D-Line drills so I got to see them all work through them. That kid is huge. He has good physical skills. He is young and defintely not ready to crack the starting squad. The coaches and teammates were working him hard to keep that big body down and exploding upward. He looks like a good project player because he has a ton of upside, I would definitely think he has a shot at a PS spot.

17. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Hey Will you'll have to get us the low down now!. Your man made it, albeit moving to O line which might work out or might not. It's not like it has not happened before!!, see Kris Dielman.

18. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Don't know if anyone saw SDUT today but Bryant is moving to OT, something he played alot of at Memphis before he moved to DL.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/sep/05/notebook-bolts-new-practice-rules/

Switchback
    Defensive tackle Charlie Bryant is on the practice squad – as an offensive tackle.
    “I like it, feels natural,” Bryant said.
    Turns out, he made the opposite switch in college when Memphis needed a defensive lineman his freshman year, and he stayed on defense until Monday.
    Now, he could be trying to follow in the footsteps of Kris Dielman, who was a defensive lineman his rookie training camp and moved to guard as a member of the practice squad. Dielman has been to the past four Pro Bowls.
    Bryant still has the blue defense practice jersey in his locker, and Turner said the move could just be to give the Chargers more options when running the scout team.
    “If he’s good, it could end up being a permanent deal,” Turner said.