1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Defensive tackle rankings: Nobody dominates like Haynesworth

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, May 27, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Scheme dictates so much of the success of NFL defensive tackles.

Some are dominant players who can excel in any system. Others are versatile athletes who can fill different roles in different situations. But the ability to shut down the run game on some level is key to the performance of any interior lineman.

RealScouts, Sporting News' team of former NFL scouts, rank their top 20 defensive tackles for 2009:

12. Jamal Williams, Chargers. At 350 pounds, Williams is an immovable object in the middle of the Chargers' 3-4. Though age and injuries have begun to take their toll, he still has great lower-body strength and is a hard-working run-stuffer who makes the San Diego defense go.

This is BS :icon_evil:

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=551297

2. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Yeah, somebody doesn't like us.

3. affraydoh

affraydoh BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Although they did list Luis Castillo as #9. So at least have we have two in the top 12... I do find it odd that they have Castillo listed over Big Jamal considering that Jamal is listed as an actual T. They gave reasoning for putting Castillo...a DE...on the list, but putting him over Jamal...c'mon now.

4. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    This is how we know the ranking is complete crap.

5. luckeystar6

luckeystar6 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    I agree with you. Even though castillo is good. but jamal is the wall of that line. Jamul is the gatekeeper. atleast listed at 2 or 3. castillo is injury prone especially the last 2 year with his leg.

6. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Honestly I don't think it's that big a stretch. I love Jamal, but for a 350+ pounder he's really starting to rack up the millage on those knees. I'm kind of expecting us to see less of him this year than previous years for the sake of keeping him healthy.

7. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Come on. Jamal is much more of a force on the field than Castillo. Jamal can still take over a game when he gets in a nasty mood.

8. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    the bottom line is that Teams ran against us. We were ranked #11 at stopping the run. Say what you want, we could not stop the run.

Jamal is getting old and his days are becoming numbered.

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Agreed Jamal is getting older, didn't play as well.

But Castillo is now NOT better then him and Canty hasn't had a great season ever. Also I'd at least state Hampton is breaking apart at the same rate Williams is.

And rodgers, big crybaby, don't make me laugh

PS: Don't look at most of the other rankings if your on high blood pressure medication, same BS, different position

10. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Yep!

Its funny to watch somebody their whole career, and then see the media and mainstream pick up on their talents so late in the career. It was only a few short years ago JW was hyped up by madden and co. Noone else knew who he was...except all of us.

Its almost like the general public starts these guys career from zero when they become notable. Truth be told he's got a lot of age and hits under his belt. I love the guy, and love what he's done for the Chargers, but he's a HUGE older dude now.

I'd still rate him over Castillo, for some reason idont like the guy, over paid underperformed, whatever the case, I wouldn't miss him. I think we were dealing with a skunk from draft day.

I saw him run away from charger fans in two cities while in street clothes at hotels now. The only thing that brought him to one fan was his spanish speaking ability. The guy pleaded with lc to sign something for him in spanish, so finally he jogged back over and signed for one guy, then hopped in the cab.

Afterwards I told the dude my urin was probably worth more, and he wouldn't have to speak in tongues to get it.