1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Defining time at hand

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Smith, Turner will both be judged by how Chargers fare

By Jim Trotter
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    February 20, 2007
    Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith wore a tropical red shirt, black loafers without socks and an easy smile that was filled with equal parts satisfaction and anticipation.
    If Smith were feeling any pressure, it must have been from sinus congestion because he couldn't have appeared more comfortable while leaning back in his office chair yesterday, minutes after Norv Turner was introduced as Marty Schottenheimer's replacement as head coach.

The public perception is that Schottenheimer was dismissed because he lost a power struggle with Smith, who never masked his disdain for the veteran coach. When news broke that Schottenheimer had been fired despite having the second-highest winning percentage in franchise history and a 35-13 record over his final three seasons, including 14-2 last year, Smith was immediately identified as the primary culprit.

It since has become apparent that Schottenheimer, weary of the situation and ownership's apparent allegiance to Smith, orchestrated his own firing by going against ownership's wishes and trying to bring in his brother to be defensive coordinator. Still, Smith remains the person in the crosshairs because of his problems with Schottenheimer and his decision to recommend Turner, who has a 58-82-1 record in nine seasons as a head coach and only one win in one postseason appearance.

If the Chargers reach the Super Bowl or win a championship, Smith could be considered prescient. If they fail to make the playoffs or don't win a game once there, he could be viewed as petty for fighting with Schottenheimer, who ranks fifth on the NFL's all-time victories list with 200.

“Pressure? I don't think about pressure,” Smith said. “I have a job to do, and all I care about is winning a world championship. All I care about is having a football team that is playoff-caliber that will get to the playoffs each and every year, that's my goal. Then once you get to the playoffs – and I want to go all the time – sheesh, hopefully somebody can figure out how to win the first game so we can go to the second game and build momentum.

That's what my goal is.”

The Chargers reached the postseason in two of their final three seasons under Schottenheimer, but lost their playoff opener at home both times.

“Do I love 14-2 and 12-4 and two division titles?” Smith said. “Oh, it looks so wonderful on résumés and in the books. It's great. I love it. But you know what? Give me a wild card, with nine victories, and let this football team face the challenge of going on the road to play some team in the playoffs, and I'll be so excited I can't stand it. And if we should win that first game, with these people on this football team, I think it could be an eruption of proportions beyond anything you've seen, in terms of being a catalyst for the type of guys we have here.

“Now, that's nothing but words. But you asked me how I feel in my heart. If we don't get to the playoffs to do this, that's where the pressure is. People will say, 'You had a plan.' Well, of course GMs have plans, owners have plans and head coaches have plans. But I'm not afraid to fail. I think you know that.

“I don't want to make stupid mistakes; I think about what I do immensely,” he continued. “But I think sometimes you've just got to do what your instincts tell you to do. And I know this from (former Bills coach) Marv Levy: No matter what plan you have or what you execute, somebody's going to call you stupid and somebody is going to call you smart. Knowing that, do what you think is right. As long as I'm here as the general manager of the Chargers, working for Dean Spanos, I will do whatever I think is necessary to try to get this team to win a championship.”

Just as this season could be defining for Smith, the same holds true for Turner. He continues to fight the perception that he is a gifted offensive coordinator and a poor head coach. In Washington, he had to deal with the death of owner Jack Kent Cooke and the meddlesome ways of the subsequent owner, Daniel Snyder. In Oakland, he had to work under managing general partner Al Davis, who was equally meddlesome.

This is the first time that Turner has inherited a ready-made contender. If he wins, it could go a long way toward changing the image that critics have of him. But if he fails, well, the labels become indelible.

He was asked yesterday what he would say to fans who believe he's the wrong man for this job.

“We're all human,” he said. “You want a positive fan reaction. The reaction that I cared about most – and the reaction I got that I got excited about – was the reaction I got upstairs this morning from the people that we're going to win with.

“I do know this: Winning takes care of those situations and those reactions. We know what we have to do. Obviously in this league, the first goal is you have to go get in the playoffs. That's the No. 1 thing you have to accomplish. It's been proven over the last two or three years: You get in the playoffs, you have a chance of going and winning the whole thing.
    “There's going to be people that are excited and like it. There's going to be people that say, 'Why'd they do that?' We're not going to change that until we get a chance to go and start playing games.”

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20070220-9999-1s20ajnorv.html

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    but AJ will still be G-d

3. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    The second Norv stepped up on that podium AJ creamed his pants after all these years of sexual tension with Morty

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    AJ can talk all the smack he wants about Marty, because he's right.

Marty can't win because he's afraid to fail.

"Today I'm gonna be agressive because everyone thinks I'm soft" or whatever the hell that idiot decided during the NE game.

Yeah, whatever.

5. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    That shocked the hell out of me when he said that. Also when he said: "This is a hard job to do alone..."

Trumpy would say that AJ is "a gay."

6. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Well .. hopefully he doesn't end up somewhere in the AFC west and have Charger Week to go along with Raider Week.

7. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Marty had his chance. He sabotaged his way out of chargerville and that is that. The chargers thanks to A.j. are set up for many years of a chance to win it all. Long time since thats happened.

8. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Look....

The defining moment is when Opening Day hits in September and how pumped everyone here should be. :bolt2:

On that day, every one of you swinging ***** needs to be thinking Super Bowl and this may be the last opportunities to get er done while the team is still in dodge.

You mother fuggers who are teetering on melt downs and bail-outs need to hold on for one or two more seasons while we pull out all the stops as fans.

The next year or two is our defining moment as BOLTHEADS. DO NOT FUC THIS UP. :helm1:

9. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820

I guess you didn't get the memo:

Norv Turner is now the Chargers Head Coach. :icon_eek:

10. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Geico will have Norv Turner and the Caveman dude posing for a new Bang video.....

It should be so simple a freaking cave biiitch could get it done.

• Like Like x 1
  11. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    :icon_rofl:

I have to give you props Hornblower.

That might be you funniest post ever

12. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    That was the problem, we had a fuking Amoeba for a HC.

13. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
  14. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
  15. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    Yeah, AJ has a right to talk smack about Marty because he is right

16. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
  17. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    "Defining moment"?

It wasn't enough of a "defining moment" when the Mannings pretty much kicked dirt in his face, and AJ turned around and ***** slapped the all the Mannings and Ernie Accorsi three-stooges like?

It wasn't enough of a "defining moment" when he let Drew Brees take his greedy lying *** out of town, and Philip Rivers won 14 games (with three comeback wins) and went to the Pro Bowl?

It wasn't enough of a "defining moment" when the bulk of the 15 Charger Probowlers and alternates are AJ selections?

This Marty firing/Turner hiring isn't a defining moment at all. It'll go down as just the continuation of what has been the brilliant career of the best GM football has ever seen, and the media will just have to say, again, "How the f*ck does he do that?"

• Like Like x 1
  18. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    And if this team takes a left turn into the *******... everyone will have to say: "How the f*ck did he manage to do that?"

Now that's a defining moment.

19. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
  20. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Every fuggin' offseason the press bashes AJ and says, "If this doesn't work out for him, then he'll get fired .... " and every time AJ is proven right.

This is just another in a series ......

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    lets hope you are correct.:tup:

22. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    It's just funny watching the media (and even certain Charger fans!) say every freaking offseason, "AJ sucks and he's going to kill this team!"

Every year, he comes out looking like Midas.

But eventually AJ will make a mistake - he's human, after all - and these people will crow, "See! See! I told you he's not cut out for this!"

It is the perfect example of not being able to see the forest through the trees.

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    He has made mistakes. He is not perfect or a God. He is a damn fine GM, maybe the best in the league right now.

Mistakes:
    1) Not nutting up and working with the HC the last four years.
    2) Trading lemon without letting the coaching staff know.
    3) Getting AJ FEELY for Lemon (worst move he has made)
    4) Benching Gates for the first game of the season a couple of years ago.
    5) More we dont know about.

Now are any of those earth shattering? Nope? Any of those going to ruin the team? They didnt. So onward and upward.

24. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Heretic !!! Blasphemy !!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    I suppose that's what I mean by "mistake"... something earth-shattering, as you put it. The examples you listed... they're things that are a matter of judgement, or opinion or perspective. As you said, nothing earth-shattering.

But when a big mistake comes, is it "Fire AJ" time?

I would think not. It's similar to some folks on here wanting to cut Parker because of his bad game in the playoffs when he's been a good, clutch WR for us his entire careeer. Or people wanting to bench LT because he had a sub-100 yard game or when he was held to almost nothing against Philly.

AJ is the best thing that has happened to this Charger team since Don Coryell. That's not hyperbole... that's the freaking truth. Firing him would be the absolute worst move since we mortgaged a decade for Ryan Leaf (which is the worst move in franchise history IMHO).

All I mean to say is, the man has proven himself ten times over in my eyes. These are AJ's Chargers. AJ's Chargers are the best Charger team we've ever - EVER - had. And that is no coincidence.

26. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    All three of your posts in this thread were right on :tup: :bolt:

27. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654

Actually, the Caveman references started earlier for the first time around humor crowd and was coattailed by others as usual. My post was dated a full day before so......gimme my fuggin cred. :)

http://forums.bolttalk.net/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=182471

28. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820