1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Definitive guide to Black Monday and the 2012 coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Dec 30, 2011.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    • San Diego -- The big question in Charger-land is not whether or not Norv Turner will be retained -- he's thought to be a dead man walking -- but whether Smith returns and helps pick the next head coach, or is part of the purge as well. The San Diego Union-Tribune report earlier this week that had Smith and Gruden being a package deal that gets delivered to the Rams is not being taken too seriously around the league. It was viewed by sources I talked to as a somewhat transparent attempt to create leverage for Smith in San Diego, with the rumor believed to have originated in San Diego.
    And it might be working, because while no one seems to know for sure who the Chargers will wind up with as head coach (although Fisher is sure to be high on their list), more than one club's top front office executive on Wednesday told me they're starting to think Smith might hang on in San Diego and live to fight (literally) another day.

Coaching Hire Candidates

[​IMG]
    His work with rookie Andy Dalton and the Bengals offense has made first-year coordinator Jay Gruden a potentially hot commodity.
    AP
    Here's what has jumped out at people in and outside of the league this year in terms of the available coaching talent pool: There's no there, there. It's a thin crop at the top, and there's certainly not the pipeline of hot coordinator talent lined up, ready to buy a suit and conduct the introductory press conference.
    I heard plenty of reasons for that development this week. For one, a lot of head coaches who have talented offenses call their own plays these days, or at least get most of the credit for their team's success on that side of the ball. Thus the coordinator doesn't get a lot of the attention he otherwise would, and his name isn't thought of when jobs open. Such is the case with Sean Payton in New Orleans, Mike McCarthy in Green Bay, and Jim Harbaugh in San Franscisco.
    Secondly, there's just not enough supply to keep up with the demand for new bodies in the NFL coaching ranks. The casualty lists have been too high for too long, and the turnover rates have resulted in this year being considered a down year for candidates.
    "I've never seen such a dearth of candidates,'' a long-time league observer told me. "There have been so many firings for so long now that the body bags have started to stack up. It's getting harder to find quality candidates.''
    The smartest teams on the hunt this year would be wise to not be too worried about the impact quality of the name they hire. Mike Smith's arrival drew shrugs in Atlanta in early 2008, as did John Harbaugh's in Baltimore that same month. Look wherever it takes, but the teams that find those kind of candidates are going to end up looking good for it.
    The most-sought after class
    • Jon Gruden -- Could still pull a 180 and get back into the game, but I can't find anyone who thinks he will, barring a ridiculous contract offer of landmark porportion. Seems content to stay in TV and provide all the answers.
    • Bill Cowher -- As one league source told me this week, the longer he's out, the more he's likely to stay out. Only team that might make a big offer would be the Dolphins, but Cowher isn't likely to bite on that bait given Miami's front office structure.
    • Jeff Fisher -- Still young enough at 53 to coach for quite a while, Fisher stands out in a crowd this year, even though his .538 career winning percentage and one Super Bowl trip in 17 years isn't the stuff of Canton.
    Second tier but maybe first choice
    • Mike Sherman -- He had one bad year out of six in Green Bay, and it cost him his job. Sherman has a good track record with quarterbacks, has been around the block in both the NFL and major college football, and his four playoff trips and three division titles with the Packers gives him instant credibility. In this market, he will get interviewed, and very well could have more than one team interested.
    • Brian Billick -- He would listen to any interested teams, and might surface as a strong Plan B option in places like Miami, San Diego, Tampa Bay or Jacksonville, where teams are likely to be looking for a hire with an offensive pedigree. But he too is happy with his TV career and won't jump at just any opening to get back on the sideline.
    • Rob Ryan -- His brother's success with the Jets helps him, and his brother's style with the Jets hurts him, too. Not every team is willing to hire a Ryan brother. If his Cowboys make the playoffs, his candidacy might start getting more oxygen.
    • Mike Zimmer -- The Bengals defensive coordinator is not a self-promoter, but he's widely respected within the game and has more than paid his dues. It's a year where so many teams are looking for an offensive-minded coach, but Zimmer will make someone glad they gave him a chance some day.
    • Jay Gruden -- He's only been a coordinator in the NFL for one year, but what a year it was for him in Cincinnati, helping the Bengals to the cusp of a playoff berth despite being led on offense by a rookie quarterback in Andy Dalton and a rookie receiver in A.J. Green. Gruden, the kinder, gentler brother of Jon Gruden, is smart, a quick study, and he knows quarterbacking, having been a star at the position in both college and the Arena League.
    • Mike Mularkey -- The former Bills head coach has been the offensive coordinator for the Falcons during the most successful era in franchise history. He went 9-7 in his first season in Buffalo, no small feat as we have since learned.
    Other names to know
    • Todd Bowles -- The Dolphins interim head coach has done nothing but enhance his reputation since taking over for Tony Sparano, winning big at Buffalo, and dominating the Patriots in the first half last week in Foxboro. A win at home against the Jets this week should make him a factor in Miami's search.
    • Brian Schottenheimer -- His star might be a bit dimmed at the moment due to the Jets' underachievement, but New York's offensive coordinator is bright and has those good NFL coaching bloodlines. He may have gotten more out of Mark Sanchez in the past three years than anyone had a right to expect.
    • Karl Dorrell -- Miami's quarterbacks coach is a former UCLA head coach, and he has a very powerful ally in his corner in Bill Parcells, who brought him to Miami in 2008. Dorrell helped quarterback Matt Moore re-invent his NFL career this season, and for teams looking for that particular help, he'll warrant an interview.
    • Tom Clements -- Packers quarterbacks coach helped groom Aaron Rodgers, and might have another starter-in-waiting in free-agent-to-be Matt Flynn. If you can teach quarterback play in this league, you'll never go unemployed for long.
    • Tom Cable -- Has drawn good reviews for his first-year work in Seattle, where he helped Marshawn Lynch and the Seahawks running game become a force by the second half of the season. Has some baggage, but Cable has his fans within the league and Hue Jackson has essentially coached the team he took to 8-8 last year in Oakland to the same record so far.
    • Joe DeCamillis -- The Cowboys special teams coordinator is the kind of outside-the-box head coaching hire that once would never have been considered. Then Baltimore hired John Harbaugh, another long-time special teams assistant, and it hasn't missed the playoffs since.
    • Jerry Gray -- The Titans defensive coordinator has risen and fallen over the years on the "hot'' coordinator list, but he's still someone NFL teams keep on their radar screens and is seen as a future head coach.
    • Rob Chudzinski -- His work as Carolina's offensive coordinator this season has been noticed. Getting Cam Newton ready to play as a rookie didn't happen magically.
    • Mike McCoy -- He's only 39, and the league is swinging back away from the ultra-young head coaching trend, but McCoy is the Denver offensive coordinator who justifiably has earned plaudits for helping Tim Tebow get ready for his starting shot this season. Changing offensive schemes in midseason is no picnic, but McCoy has pulled it off in Denver.
    • Steve Spagnuolo -- No, the Rams head coach won't be someone else's head coaching candidate once he's let go in St. Louis, but he will instantly be the most sought-after defensive coordinator commodity in the league. I wouldn't be surprised if he out-distances the contracts of a couple of the NFL's lower-paid head coaches next season. Philadelphia and the Giants are both distinct possibilities, but he might have even more options to consider than those. Keep in mind a couple things: Spagnuolo still owns a home in Philly, and it's where his wife is from. And he and Andy Reid parted on good enough terms, as he did with Tom Coughlin in New York. Spagnuolo might even surface as the natural heir apparent for both the Eagles and Giants, whenever Reid and Coughlin are done.

• Like Like x 1
  2. -Scar-

-Scar- thedoomship.com

Ratings:
    +205
    No thanks to most of that list.

Just get Jon Gruden please

3. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    I would rather have Jay Gruden.

• Like Like x 2
  4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
  5. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Can't say any of these names excite me.

[​IMG]

6. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    I'd take Zimmer wouldn't want any other up and coming guy. Mostly likely to be Cowher or Gruden though.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    well, there's nothing else

8. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Was Marty on the list?

9. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    No, he's in the CFL winning championships*

10. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Good point but I'm not into retreads

11. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    I go Zimmer.
    But have gut feeling Chargers take Mike Sherman.

12. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Ok, I'll take your word on it then ....... at this stage I'll try anything.

[​IMG]

13. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    That Zimmer went back and forth between the Sox and Yankees.
    #donttrusthim

14. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    IMO and I think Spanoes' AJ gets ONE more year to prove his worth to his pocketbook. I think this could be a time where AJ puts some of his personal bravado aside and takes on a BIG name HC that will come with natural insistnece to operate and control the Team personel decsisons to a degree. Granted I cant see AJ giving up as much as he did in 2010 to his coaches as far as player picks, he could again this year do something similar where the new HC gets more first right to player decisions than what we would be familiar with from AJ.

ALL I can say is give AJ 1 more season. Just becuase HE is the sole reason we are faced with the need for a new HC, dont count him out to pull some strings and save his own *** and in the process get the bygons b bygons kinda effect after one hell of a ROUGH ride 2007-present.

15. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    HC- John Gruden
    Offensive Cord- Jay Gruden
    Def Cord- Mike Zimmer
    QB Coach, Tom Clements
    WR Coach - Charlie Joiner
    Lb Coach- Mike Singeltary
    DL Coach- Go out and try to get Refrigerator perry

thats how i would like to see it pan out

16. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    That's a lot of big names on there. Nearly impossible to happen.

17. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    i know it is, its more of a fantasy, but i could see Jay gruden coming if John Gruden does.. but i really want John Gruden and Mike zimmer

18. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Rob Chudzinski is our best bet.. Knows Rivers, Knows the offense and team.. bring him in! Only guy I want here in SD..

19. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Fisher
    Zimmer
    Chud

20. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Coaches can't go lateral (example: DC for Bengals to DC for Chargers) unless their contract is up.

21. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,734
    After all of this arguing, and countless choices, you call this 'definitive'?

22. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
  23. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    And saw Bill O' Briens name being considered as a OC thats gonna go HC. But I was hearing it that KC would be his landing spot to keep the NE West dream alive.

24. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/...the-field-as-nfl-firing-season-gets-warmed-up

Here's a breakdown of the sad season, the firing season -- the annual NFL bloodbath.
    Bill Cowher: If the Giants job opens up, he'll be back in the NFL. No question about that. But that might be the only job that he will leave CBS to take. Chances of returning: 50 percent.

Jon Gruden: Several NFL sources said Thursday that Gruden (and/or his representation) are speaking with a number of franchises about coaching their teams. Almost every team with an opening or anticipating one has contacted Gruden (and/or his reps), according to league sources. Gruden has said nothing since a report in the San Diego Union-Tribune stated he might return to coach either the Chargers or Rams. This is typical egomaniacal Gruden. Say nothing and let everyone guess his future. Chances of returning: 70 percent.

Tony Dungy: He recently said he has no inclination of returning though he has fielded multiple inquiries. No way he returns as a coach (but wouldn't be stunned if he came back in the near future as a general manager). Chances of returning to coaching: Zero percent. Chances of returning as a GM: 10 percent. <---------LOL where is this comming from??

Les Miles: I still believe there is a very good chance Miles departs for the NFL, particularly if he wins another national title. Don't believe people who say pro football owners and executives have no interest in Miles. As I've said before, the league execs who like Miles know he isn't the same goofball you see on the sidelines. He's thought of as a smart, tactical coach by the pros. Some team will make a serious run at him. Chances of leaving for the NFL: 70 percent.

Jim Caldwell: I'm told by multiple league sources that owner Jim Irsay is genuinely conflicted about which direction to take the Colts. He hasn't ruled out blowing up the franchise and starting over with Andrew Luck but he also has loyalty to Bill Polian and Peyton Manning. Many around the league expect Caldwell to be the one sacrificed. Chances of being fired: 65 percent.

Norv Turner: Barring intervention from Tim Tebow, Turner's a goner. Chances of being fired: 100 percent.

50% for Cowher is higher than I have ever heard commin out of any report. AND for the GMEN job??? BOO!!

Oyea and of course the list goes on. We need decisive and fast decisions on who we are gonna really want to bring in. Unless its all set in motion already and its just a sit and wait game now.

25. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    IMO I want the next HC to be a Defensive oriented coach.

• Like Like x 2
  26. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    • Like Like x 2
  27. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
  28. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
  29. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    This is what I am going to fear. We got everyone on board to fire Norv. And we can say he is gone. Reading the replies by everyone, the Chargers are going to hire someone that someone doesnt like. And starting with the very first loss by the new head Coach we are going to start getting the

FIRE [insert new head coaches name here] NOW threads!

30. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Les Miles, sounds like an oxymoron already. I wish my car had less miles on it...

• Like Like x 1