1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

DeMeco Ryans traded for...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Ikeman83, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
  2. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Asked the exact same thing a few hours ago in another thread .............

A 4th rd pick and a swap of 3rds !!!! :eek: ............ I'd take that any day of the week for a player of Ryans ilk.

If you can ever figure out AJ and his evaluating methods, be sure to let the rest of us know, OK !!!

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    So the question is why didnt the Chargers make this trade? Really? OMG Becky!11!

Why didnt the Chargers get Manning? Why didnt they get in on all the trades out there? Should the Chargers tap the phones of all the teams so they can muscle in on any possible trade scenario? You do realize that a lot of times one team will call another and ask about the possibility of a trade?

Why didnt the Chargers get in on this.... Get real...

4. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I don't think the Chargers would have to have 32 phone taps out there to make inquiries into the availability of players on other teams who are obviously redundant on their own rosters...

• Like Like x 1
  5. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Plus any team that has pass rushers, knows we need pass rushers, so it would be in their best interest to call all teams with that need, as it would only drive up the value if multiple teams were interested

• Like Like x 1
  6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I get the feeling there's alot of teams out there who are saying the same thing upon hearing about this trade.

7. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    Eagles got themselves a steal, DeMeco is a legit pro-bowler and a good leader, their D just got a valuable addition. Don't know why Houston did it to be honest...

8. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Brian Cushing

9. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Houston losing Mario Williams and DeMeco Ryans in less than a month.. I don't see their defense being dominant anymore, unless there trading up significantly to grab Kuechly..

10. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    They lost Mario in week 5 of last season, with no negative impact for their D. Ryans is a much more consequential loss, but I have to think they traded him because they like Cushing better, and don't want to pay for 2 quality ILBs in a 3-4, as Ryan's salary was 5.9 million this season.

I can't imagine that they would cut Ryan, only to bone their draft chasing Kuechly.

11. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358

Cushing plays alongside Ryans, which is actually a big part of why their D is as good as it is.

12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Alot of critique of the move on the Texans side is that they got too little for him. Ryans didn't fit in the 3-4 unlike Cushing, alot like Vilma when NY went to the 3-4

13. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    I don't get your post ?

Exactly, why didn't they ?

We aren't talking the Manning trade or any other trade Conc, just the Demarco Ryans one.................. why would it be unreasonable to think someone from our FO could contact the Texans in regard to this matter seeing as its a well known fact that he is the type of player we need more than any other postion on the field ?

Tap phones ??...what are you talking about !!! ........ the job of the FO is to find these things out isn't it ?......... why would that be impossible for the Chargers FO to hear about, seems the Eagles did their homework and have themselves one hell of a deal because someone there knows what their job is, unlike the clowns we have in ours.

14. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    I guess my question would be is there the tiniest shred of evidence
    that Ryans was ever made available to the Chargers. Any? At all?

I believe every person has a right to bellyache...but aren't there enough
    legitimate gripes out there...that we don't have to imagine things to whine about?

• Like Like x 2
  15. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    The question I'd ask Lance is NOT if he was ever made available too us..................but did our FO ever inquire as to his status as a Texan !!! (again, that is someone in the FO's job, correct ?)

I'd have gladly offered a 4th and swap of 3rds this season for a guy of his experience..................wouldn't YOU ?

No one's whining here, just asking legitimate questions of those in charge, nothing else.

16. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    I disagree...it's a manufactured (out of whole cloth) whine.

Zero evidence is offered that the Chargers ever had any chance at the guy.
    Period. One can make up scenarios all day to feel bad about, but in absence
    of ANY evidence, why would one do that? We simply don't know jack squat
    about what the Chargers did or didn't do re. Ryans.
    Again, there are legitimate gripes to be made...I have little use for made up complaints.

• Like Like x 1
  17. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    So has it been reported that they DID in fact inquire Lance ?

Or is there Zero evidence of that also ?

Maybe a call to AJ can clear this up, once and for all ! ;)

18. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    If you're defending the notion that it's sensible to complain about everything
    that we know nothing about, I'm just gonna leave you to that. Not my style.

p.s. You really don't have to contort so hard, in order to disagree with every single post I make. ;)

19. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    You've accused me of whining, when all I'm asking is that a FO do what its employed to do and thats evalute and gather talent.

You sound like a total FO apologist in your posts because you defend them every chance you get, (except when it involves a Favorite like VJ)...................maybe thats what this is all about ?

Still a little pissy that VJ was let go maybe Lance ? :whistling:

I don't disagree with every post you write either, you know plenty about this game that I can tell ................... just the obviously "Blind Homer one's" mate. :p

20. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Well, actually, I said that the initial post was just whining
    (but, hey, if you think the shoe fits you).

When my complaint is that people are whining in complete absence
    of knowing any facts about something, no, an effort to change the
    subject with a lame ad hominem atttack accusing someone of being a
    "blind Homer" (because they don't support whines based on ignorance?!?)
    will go nowhere. If you seriously want to defend ignorant ranting, and if you're
    really going to accuse people of homerism (to justify that ignorant ranting)
    then I'm not going to be up for sinking any more time into such a dopey conversation.

21. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Well shite !!!!!!!!!!!!.....why didn't you say that 4 posts back then and we could have saved a whole lot of misunderstanding.

As for the rest !!!........... relax mate, not necessary to get so worked up, its only 2 little words afterall, I didn't get all pissy when you called me a whiner, did I ? ;) :tup:

22. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Apparently I'm a whiner because I'm curious as to why the Chargers didn't make a trade for an impact player at a position of need, who was acquired for virtually nothing apparently because the Eagles FO made a phone call.

I'm not sure what about this constitutes whining.

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    The whole premis of yours and Ikemans rant is stupid Jack! What you want the FO to cold call all other 31 teams and see if they are going to get rid of their best players? Seriously?

I am glad to two of you have the time and ability to be omniscient, the rest of the world isnt so lucky.

Try to get this, you have no idea what happened. If it was an agent calling a team that the player wanted to consider, eagles calling the texans or visa versa. So run with your "OMG our FO sucks, they didnt get in on this one team trade" but like most of the conspiracy theories floated here by the well educated fans, it is a pile of tripe.

24. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Bingo! But dont expect these two to back down, they will ramble something off call it a fact and claime interweb supremecy... lol

25. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Conc, do you honestly think that teams don't know what other teams need, and don't call all teams with similar needs to see who will give them the best offer? This may be true, but I have a hard time believing it.

Ryans is due over $5mil this year and wouldn't fit within our cap anyways, and maybe that is why no calls were made or no trade was completed if calls were made. IMO, this is all a pointless issue to even debate

26. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    DB do you honestly think that the Texas said to the whole league, "HEY RYANS IS UP FOR GRABS"?

If not then the premiss of this thread is rediculous. Try and defend it if you wish, it is just one of the most stupid reasons to rant that I have ever seen.

27. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    To be clear, teams know what teams need. That does not mean teams want to deal with other teams. That does not mean that teams call other teams in their divisions or conferences to ship out star players, that does not mean that teams even consider trades unless something causes a discussion to occur. Teams know what other teams need, that does not mean they will try and help those other teams.

In the end, there can only be one.

28. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    No, but they wouldn't be doing their due diligence if they didn't throw feelers out there to the 4-5 teams that they know need a LB.

I agree it is a stupid reason to rant, I just don't get why everyone gets so defensive when people say things they may not agree with

29. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    True, but they wouldn't be helping themselves out if tehy just ignored other teams. The more teams that want a player, the better price they can get.

30. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    First, I don't believe any of my posts with regards to this trade have constituted a "rant".

The premise of the thread is simple, "DeMeco Ryans was acquired by another team for more or less nothing, and I'm curious why this move wasn't made by the Chargers."

If your opinion is, "Because the Chargers never had or would have had the opportunity to make such a trade", then I'm sure you can say that without being derisive to other posters for being interested in the topic, as well as without putting words in my mouth. Even if your answer is the above, that still leaves the question of why that would be the case.

As far as it being unreasonable for the FO to cold call other teams to inquire about the availability of players, are you serious? How do you think trades happen, GM A takes GM B out for a nice steak dinner and casually brings up trading a player over a glass of Bordeaux?

This trade happened for one of 3 reasons, either A) the Texans specifically contacted the Eagles, B) the Eagles contacted the Texans, or C) Ryan's agent contacted both teams with regards to a trade. In cases B and C, the FO could have had an opportunity to make this trade. If Ryan's agent thinks Smitty is a jackass, that obviously could've had an impact. If Smitty IS a jackass and doesn't bother contacting other teams about the possibility of acquiring their players, then I imagine that is on the FO as well.

I didn't say that the FO is full of morons and cry to the heavens for justice that they left us to the lions by not acquiring Ryans, I simply posted that I was curious as to why this trade wasn't made by the Chargers. Apparently curiosity didn't kill the cat, it was a Concudan post barrage!