1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Deputy to face trial for golf incident

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Gatchaman, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Gatchaman

Gatchaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    CHINO - An Orange County sheriff's reserve deputy will have to stand trial on charges of threatening two men with a gun at a Chino Hills golf course, a judge said Monday.

Witnesses said Raymond Yi, 44, pointed a gun at them while flashing his sheriff's badge during a confrontation over slow play at Los Serranos Golf & Country Club in July.

Marcelo Bautista, 35, a teacher from Los Angeles, told the court he was stunned that Yi's gun was loaded.

"When I saw him **** his gun, something fell out and my mouth dropped," Bautista said. "I couldn't believe this was happening on a golf course."

Bautista said the conflict began after Yi had hit two balls toward him and his uncle, Gustavo Resendiz. At the 14th hole, Bautista hit Yi's ball back toward him. According to Bautista, Yi confronted him, left the fairway and returned with a badge and pointed a gun to his head.

The two proceeded with the game, said Bautista, but Yi followed, pushed Resendiz and then cocked his gun.

"I really thought I was gonna be killed right then and there," said Resendiz, 61.

During Monday's preliminary hearing, Yi's attorney, John Barnett, pointed out that the witnesses' accusations did not coincide with a police officer's report. The two golfers testified that Yi brandished his gun twice, but the police report cited it was once.

Sheriff deputy Chad Foytik, the investigating officer on the day of the incident, told the court Monday that in hindsight, he had not thoroughly questioned the golfers.

Superior Court Judge Raymond Youngquist declared there was ample evidence to proceed with the trial. Yi is charged with two counts of assault with a firearm and two counts of making criminal threats.

Youngquist ordered Yi not to have contact with the golfers. The defendant will be arraigned Nov. 1 in Chino Superior Court.

Wendy Leung can be reached by phone at (909) 483-9376.