1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Derek Smith (Ex 49er) for Inside LB depth?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by RM24, Feb 24, 2008.

1. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20080224-9999-1s24newcombi.html

Smith for LB depth?

The Chargers have made a multiyear offer to former San Francisco 49ers inside linebacker Derek Smith, sources said yesterday.

Team representatives met with Smith's agent here yesterday, and the Chargers are said to be Smith's top choice.

Smith, an 11-year veteran, led the 49ers in tackles each season from 2001-05.

Smith, 33, was released Tuesday in a salary-cutting move. He was due to make $4.5 million in 2008.

---------
    LT21's analysis:

I like this move. Smith has some gas left at 33 and would be good depth at inside LB. Smith was a solid player on a bad team. Now he's got a chance to get some jewry....:yes:

2. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    This better be a vet minimum deal. Derek Smith sucks.

3. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Was he that bad 400? I know he wasn't probowl material, but might be solid backup. I remember he was good. Care to elaborate?

4. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
  5. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    If he's playing for chump change, then it's a good signing.

6. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    We just signed him to a two year deal.

7. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Stupid pointless move unless AJ is cutting the cord on Tim Dobbins or Brandon Siler already.

8. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I think it's just for veteran depth. I don't think any move A.J. makes is a stupid pointless move. I trust A.J. Trumpet will back me up on that. :yes:

9. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Whatever about being a stupid signing (he does seem a little old for me) Dobbins will never be good enough to spell our ILBs on the defense. He is just a special teamer. I guess Polk is gone asap too so maybe we were a little thin there...

However I see the depth chart looking like this

Coop, Wilhelm followed v v closely by Waters, then u got maybe this Derek Smith guy, Siler and Dobbins.

10. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I doubt the contract is guaranteed. I have to think there is a make clause in this contract and if it isn't triggered the Chargers are off the hook. Smith has been on a dismal team, so we'll see if a good supporting roster will allow him to play up to places he hasn't been before. If not, sionara.

11. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    I don't know anything about this guy, but I trust AJ's judgement. Does anyone know if Smith has ties with any of the current coaching staff? Maybe Rivera or Norv knows something about him that prompted this signing. One thing that's important to note, is that he will be a backup here, and not a starter. Hopefully he'll add something to the rotation.

12. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    He makes his home with his missus and 2 kids in SD. Might be willing to play for the hometown team for half nothing. :yes:

13. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

Not only that, but Smith played with Norv in Washington, and in San Fran when Norv was the OC.

Keep an eye on this site.

Casey Pearce is going to add some comments from Norv and AJ in a little bit evidently.

14. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    That is, if you call a Million half of nothing.....:icon_eek:

15. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    There is no such thing amigo...Regardless as to his reasoning, he (D. Smith)and AJ will come out shining...History repeats itself and AJ's history has proven he knows what the hell he is doing 99.99% of the time.

TBF

16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    aren't we a bit full on ILB i mean we have

Cooper
    Wilhelm
    Dobbins
    Waters
    Polk (sorta)
    Siler

17. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
  18. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    IMO, I think Dobbins is out. Polk can play many positions and ST and year after year, many of you have written him off but he's still around. I think maybe it's Dobbins since he's just HORRIBLE in coverage. (see that Pats game in week 2 and you'll see it clearly) Notice we didn't start playing better on defense until Wilhelm came back. Not a coincidence. Dobbins can hit and is a run stuffer, but in coverage he's a liability. Young dude though and I would hate to give up on him too early. But dude can't cover TE's or RB's coming out of the backfield. JMO.....

19. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    I think we may end up trading a LB. AJ wanted more experience in the LB corp. Perhaps something that was missed the most with donnie and randall's departures.

20. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I just want to note even if we cut Dobbins we still have four SET ILBs (Cooper, WIlhelm, Siler and Waters) and Polk to which we add Smith. That's SIX ILBs. Little much no?

21. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    The Pats have one of the better passing games in the league. Is it really a surprise that they could exploit a young inexperienced LB?

22. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    True, but the Pats weren't the only ones. I like Dobbins, but he just can't cover in the passing game. Hopefully he gets better.

23. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I was pretty high on Dobbins, but now not so sure that he's what we need at ILB. Has looked good on ST, but that's not enough to stay here (unless your name is Kassim Osgood). He may well become trade bait.

24. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    This is a "look-see" move if I ever saw one. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Smith doesn't even make the 53-man roster when all is said and done... but it doesn't hurt to bring in someone you know you can plug in to your defense immediately and maybe, hopefully, push your young players to not take their jobs for granted.

25. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    When Shawne was suspended and Shaun got injured, Polk, along with Harris, played a lot of OLB. I've never heard of Dobbins playing outside.

We all know Jyles Tucker has earned a legit shot at the OLB rotation. Plus he's cheap with upside. So the OLBs are Merriman, Phillips, Harris (if we keep him), Tucker, and Polk? ILBs are Cooper, Wilhelm, Waters, Smith, Dobbins, and Siler? How many LBs have to go? 1 or 2?

If Harris the Acrobat leaves via FA, then our problem solves itself. But I'd like to keep him and let Polk, Dobbins, and Smith fight it out.

Derek Smith was a solid player his whole career. He was never a star, but was kinda like McCree in his 1st year here; an upgrade and veteran stopgap who would do his job. And like McCree now I'd prefer him as a back-up. As a 4th inside LB, he would be amazing depth. Don't know how'd he do as a special teamer. Kinda strange signing, unless he can cover well.

26. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Well if Harris goes, there's a spot for Smith and Polk will probably beat out Dobbins, who I've thought rather highly of. If he doesn't step up this year, he will probably lose out to Polk because of his special teams play. I've been thinking Polk would be on the bubble, but then I remember Gary Plummer the same way. That could change if Polk can't stay healthy.

27. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
  28. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    Here's a crazy thing I got from the 49er forum that explains Derek Smith's drop off in his game. (Sacramento Bee)

From what I'm reading, he was a warrior on bad Niner teams, then started sucking with the eye injury; he got the nickname "Cyclops" on the forum from this. Buy low, high reward guy?

29. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    Haven't you figured out yet that AJ DOES know what the fuk he is doing?

As pointed out last year when Wilhelm went down, our ILB production sucked ***.

Smith played in a 3-4 scheme. He has been productive and was the leading tackler on the 9ers before Willis, who is a freaking stud, took over as the main guy in the middle.

If his eye is fine and I am sure the Chargers had the med staff check him out, then I think it is a good move.

Zero risk and only reward can be the outcome.