1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Desk job can't hold Cottrell

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Chargers lured defensive coordinator out of NFL office

Ted Cottrell was out of it, and then he walked back into it, eyes opened wide. He was a kid at Disneyland with no lines. He was in Tiffany's with Bill Gates money. He had the Mother Lode to mine.
    Cottrell spent the 2006 season with the NFL office handling appeals on fines. He had been a football coach in The League for 23 years, but he liked his new job. He was about to turn 60. He wasn't unhappy.
    Then came the call from the Chargers, who had just lost their offensive and defensive coordinators along with a couple of position coaches and fired their head coach, Marty Schottenheimer. Norv Turner, who replaced Schottenheimer, wanted Cottrell to be his new defensive coordinator. So did General Manager A.J. Smith, who had worked with Cottrell in Buffalo.
    And Cottrell was a 3-4 man. He had coordinated the defense in Buffalo for Wade Phillips, who left San Diego to run the Cowboys. His would be a seamless fit, and he took the position without struggle.
    “I was not going to get back into coaching,” Cottrell says. “I did not go looking for another job. But this opportunity was presented to me, to work with a good, solid team. I knew A.J. from way back and to have the opportunity to work with Norv, who I went against a few times, the challenge was a little too much to pass up.
    “I was at the Pro Bowl working with the league and there were all these guys with bolts on their helmets walking around. I said, 'Boy, this is a pretty good group.' ” “”Cottrell coached some fine Buffalo defenses, which included future Hall of Fame defensive end Bruce Smith. But he's never had such a talented bunch.
    “Not with this much potential; not across the board,” he says.
    <!-- BEGIN:SIDEBAR --><!--startclickprintexclude--><TABLE cellPadding=5 width=200 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=15 width=190 bgColor=#dfdfdf border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Cottrell's stops
    San Diego is Ted Cottrell's fourth stop as an NFL defensive coordinator. How he did in the past (including team record and league ranking in fewest yards allowed):
    Bills
    1998 10-6 6th
    1999 11-5 1st
    2000 8-8 3rd
    Jets
    2001 10-6 19th
    2002 9-7 24th
    2003 6-10 21st
    Vikings
    2004 8-8 28th 2005 9-7 21st

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!--endclickprintexclude--><!-- END:SIDEBAR -->If you've been paying attention – and many of you have – the Chargers haven't run fancy defensive stuff during the first two exhibition games. Some coaches do. The Cowboys got after Denver pretty good the other night, and Broncos safety John Lynch criticized Phillips for too much attacking.
    But that's the way it goes. Some coaches want to work on things in August. Cottrell sits in the middle.
    “We don't want to show all our stuff,” he says. “There are three ways to do it. Say the heck with it and show it. Show some of it. Don't show anything at all. But you can overlook things that went wrong, and you don't have time to fix them. Practice speed and game speed are two different things.
    “I think we're going to be everything we thought we would be.”
    Not to put any added pressure on Cottrell, but they should be better. This is a young defense, and young players are supposed to improve. The senior citizens are nose tackle Jamal Williams (31), free safety Marlon McCree (30) and strong safety Clinton Hart, who turned 30 last month.
    Cottrell will work with the best front seven in football. Williams is a tremendous nose tackle (“The best I've been around,” Cottrell says). Luis Castillo and Igor Olshansky are rising ends. Outside linebackers Shawne Merriman and Shaun Phillips are the most dynamic outside rushing pair in football. Cottrell believes Matt Wilhelm and Stephen Cooper show great promise on the inside. The defensive backs are having good camps. There is depth.
    Cottrell has his pockets full, and he knows it. The tough thing for him is going to be deciding who stays and who goes. When cutdown time comes, the Chargers are going to lose some players who could make up a very talented practice squad, one Smith believes could be the best group the team has had. “I'd rather have tough decisions to make than easy ones,” Cottrell says. “I'm pleased with all these kids – including the free-agent kids. That's a compliment to the organization when other teams raid your practice squad.”
    Cottrell has the most pleasant demeanor, but he won't stand for mistakes. He's been all over his DBs for lateraling after interceptions in practice.

“Takeaways are too hard to get in the first place,” he said. “Our kicking game is very strong. If we can get the ball near midfield, even if our offense stumbles, we have a chance for a field goal, or a punt that will push them back.
    “I want guys to play fast. Everybody has to be communicating. When everybody's on the same page, you can play at a high level of intensity and speed. If not, you can't do anything. Our defense is going to play hard and hustle to the ball. When you get there, be in a bad frame of mind. If you have a chance to make a play, make it.”
    Smith is ecstatic to have old friend Cottrell on his side.
    “He's a real pro with a lot of experience,” the GM says. “He's very creative, an attacking type of guy. He relates to the players, but he will jump their butts when he needs to. There's no phoniness. There were too many plusses not to hire him.” Come on. It has to beat dealing with fines.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/canepa/20070822-9999-lz1s22canepa.html

2. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    I really hope its a one year thing and that next year Rivera gets promoted to DC

3. Prito James

Prito James BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    What if our D kicks ***?

4. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    I hope Cottrell makes things happen and fits seemlessly with AJ
    and Turner. You know: "Defences make championships"

GO BOLTS :bolt:

5. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    "Norv Turner, who replaced Schottenheimer, wanted Cottrell to be his new defensive coordinator."

Oh really?

6. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Thats what i was thinking too

Pretty sure i read that he was set to hire Rivera as his DC in Dallas if he got that job

7. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    Of course he wanted Cottrell. He had to to accept this job. lol

Instead of doing a resume or practicing interview questions, he probably wrote "I really like Ted Cottrell as a DC" 5000 times and practiced saying it with a straight face into the mirror the night before his meeting with AJ.

You guys expecting Rivera to get the gig next year are kidding yourselves. If the defense is good, we're not getting rid of Cottrell & Rivera is gone to a different job as a DC or HC. If it's bad, you have to start wondering if Rivera was riding Lovie's defensive coattails like Cottrell was Wade's in Buffalo. If we're not at least 10-6 this year with this talent, heads should roll and say screw scheme continuity.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    The starters are putting in more time this week and supposedly the schemes are going to start up as part of the game plans. We don't start seeing some serious play pretty soon, my optimism is going to dim. These guys need to start getting some game time experience with the defense, because there are some new schemes. We don't have to pull out all the stops, but they need to get their timing and coordination down before the first game. I'd like to see something besides smoke, like maybe a little fire. I still don't think AJ would screw up a coaching decision that badly, especially since he knows these guys. But what do I know?

9. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    I'm sure they are holding back some, just like the offenses are holding back some. All that should balance out. Where you get into problem judging the preseason is looking at wins or losses or if one team plays its better players against the other teams weaker players. First team vs. first team both should be holding back some and the best team should still look like the best team.

Just like I think there is too much talent for Norv to be a failure here, there is probably too much talent on the defense for Cottrell to be a failure.

Someone made the point on the other board that the year before Wade came here he had the worst defense in the league in ATL, so maybe we can catch lightning in a bottle twice and Cottrell also turn into something his previous track record doesn't suggest is possible.