1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Despite no ring, Rivers proving he's top QB of 2004 draft class

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by HollywoodLeo, Dec 25, 2009.

1. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,423
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/...rivers-proving-hes-top-qb-of-2004-draft-class
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] NASHVILLE -- This is what Philip Rivers had to say in the spring of 2004 as he was readying to enter the NFL Draft: [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT] [​IMG] Philip Rivers improves to 18-0 as a starter in December. (AP) [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] "Any quarterback has to be confident, and I'm confident I'm as good as anybody in the draft." [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] That was a precursor to the cocky style Rivers now plays with as quarterback of the San Diego Chargers, a style that can grate on opponents and opposing fans but also now defines him as a quarterback. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] By the way, Rivers was right. While he doesn't yet have a Super Bowl ring like Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger, the other top quarterbacks taken in that 2004 draft, he's not only as good as those two, he's better. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Don't get irrational and start that screaming about how rings define quarterbacks, and nothing else matters. If that were the case, Dan Marino wouldn't be considered great, and we know better. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Rivers is an elite quarterback, who just doesn't have a ring yet. It's similar to the time before Peyton Manning won his. Manning and Tom Brady are a the top of any quarterback list, and they have rings, but I'm not sure Rivers isn't right behind them next to New Orleans' Drew Brees, who also doesn't have one. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] I got my first chance to watch Rivers live this season against the Tennessee Titans and he was every bit as good as he's been all season long. Rivers completed 21 of 27 passes for 264 yards and two scores as the Chargers blew out the Titans 42-17. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Those passing numbers might not be gaudy, but seeing how he got them sure was impressive. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Rivers is now 18-0 in December as a starter, the best record of any quarterback in NFL history. His play is why the Chargers have clinched the No. 2 seed in the AFC, why they have won 10 consecutive games and why they are considered a real threat to the undefeated Indianapolis Colts. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] The Chargers are also 7-1 on the road, which shows they can handle adversity. Take this game. They played a tough game last Sunday, had two days of practice and then flew to Nashville Wednesday. They had a light walkthrough Thursday and then played Friday. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] .master table {margin-right: 8px; margin-bottom: 8px; margin-top: 8px;} .master td {padding-left: 10px; padding-right: 10px; padding-top: 6px; padding-bottom: 6px;} .master p {margin-top:6px; margin-bottom: 6px; font-size: 11px;} [/FONT]
    Chargers-Titans links Recap: Chargers 42, Titans 17
    Postgame reports: Chargers | Titans

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] "This is a tough deal," Chargers coach Norv Turner said. "Our guys have been unbelievable in not letting anything distract them." [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] But that's regular-season stuff. As Rivers said, "You don't get pats on your back too long for what you do in the regular season." [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] It's about January and February. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] "There's no doubt of the three of us [the top three quarterbacks from 2004], I'm the one left standing without one," Rivers said late Friday night as he leaned against the wall in the San Diego locker room. "We have a heck of a group of guys and a heck of a team and we're going to make a good run at it." [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Roethlisberger won his first ring after the 2005 season and then won another last season. Eli Manning claimed his after the 2007 season. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Is this Rivers' time? [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] The way the Chargers are playing, you have to think he has a real chance. This is how well he's playing individually: It's not crazy to say he's every bit as good as Brees, the man he replaced in 2003 as quarterback of the Chargers. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Rivers now has 4,155 yards passing this season -- his second consecutive season over 4,000 yards -- and he has 27 touchdown passes and nine interceptions. With one less game, Brees has 4,130 yards, 33 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. Yet Rivers isn't even in the MVP conversation with Brees, Peyton Manning and Brett Favre. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] "The fact that he's not mentioned as an MVP is kind of crazy," Chargers tight end Antonio Gates said. "But I can tell you his focus isn't winning the MVP. I can't say enough about him as a player and what he means to this team. But his not being in the MVP mix is crazy." [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] The San Diego offense hasn't scored less than 20 points in 21 consecutive games. Rivers and that unit are on fire. One play against the Titans shows how special a quarterback he has become, all that film work and son-of-a-coach stuff paying off. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] With the Chargers leading 7-3, Rivers faced a second-and-15 at the Titans' 36. Tennessee brought pressure and Rivers was flushed out of the pocket as he hit the top of his drop. As he stepped forward, a Tennessee defender seemed to trip him up. So as he's falling sideways, right near the line of scrimmage, Rivers saw Gates wide open on the left sideline. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] As he's falling to the ground, Rivers lofted a pass to Gates for a 36-yard touchdown pass and a 14-3 lead. Having his head up made the play possible. Too many quarterbacks will tuck it and run but Rivers kept the play alive to make a throw down the field. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] "That says a lot about him as a quarterback, keeping that head up and that play alive," Gates said. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] San Diego has the fifth-rated pass offense, and 12th-rated offense, but it's the defense that will decide this team's chances for a ring. Before the Chargers became a high-scoring passing attack, the Chargers were considered a defensive team that ran the ball with LaDainian Tomlinson. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Now they throw to score, run with the lead and that leaves it up to the defense to just contain the other team's offense. It must be nice taking the field knowing the offense can score at least 20. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] "That's not what we're worried about," Chargers linebacker Shaun Phillips said. "We don't depend on them. We depend on ourselves. It's about what we do, not what our offense does or what the other offense does." [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] The San Diego defense came into the Tennessee game ranked 15th in total D, but 21st against the run. They've had a lot of injuries, including losing Pro Bowl nose tackle Jamal Williams for the season in the first game of the season. His loss has impacted the run defense in a big way. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Tennessee's Chris Johnson, the NFL's leading rusher, ran for 142 yards, but he got 30 of them on a late touchdown run when some of the San Diego starters had already taken a seat. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] San Diego defensive coordinator Ron Rivera has his defense playing better as we get toward the playoffs. They had three takeaways against the Titans to help the offense. That kind of play will be key in the postseason and the defensive players seem ready for the challenge. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] "We understand that," Phillip said. "They can't give us 40-something points every game. The offense speaks for itself. We know if we are going to get where we need to go we have to do what we need to do." [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] When I asked safety Eric Weddle about the scrutiny the defense will get in the postseason because the offense is so good, he looked stunned for a second. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] "You mean we're the weak link?" he asked. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Now that you asked -- yeah. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] But if that unit can continue to improve, San Diego just might get to the Super Bowl, even if it means going to Indianapolis and winning against the Colts. That offense gives them a real chance to beat anybody on any day. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] "We go against them every day," Weddle said. "We're glad other teams have face them instead of us." [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] That's how good Rivers is playing -- better than any passer from the class of 2004, ring or not. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] For more from Pete Prisco, check him out on Twitter: @PriscoCBS [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT]

2. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    And he's all ours for the next 5 seasons!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    :bolt: He'll get his ring this February! The Chargers looked UNSTOPPABLE against the Titans! :abq1::abq2::abq1::abq2:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    :bolt: Win a Super Bowl this season, Move to Los Angeles next season! :yes: Go Chargers!

5. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    You lost me

I prefer Win a Super Bowl this season, Stay in San Diego next season and win another Super Bowl next season.

:abq2:

6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Please delete this post!!! :icon_evil:

Workplay... go away!!!

7. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    Don't delete it, just edit it.

He can keep the "Win a Super Bowl this season" part. :abq2:

8. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    This is not a step in the right direction.

I agree though that a Super Bowl Win will be sweet but not a move from San Diego.

How many times have a Champion Team left for another City? I do not know of any the following year they won the championship.

For Rivers though I love how much he is a Winner no matter where he goes and I love that he is a San Diego Charger.

!!!!! GO RIVERS GO!!!!!

9. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    Aw, C'mon! You guys can drive 2 1/2 hours to see the game. Then I won't have to drive 4 hours to San Diego! :bolt:

10. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    I have to fly either way.

I prefer to fly to Sunny San Diego than to have to fly to Smoggy Los Angeles.

11. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    No thank you.

This Thread is about Our most Excellent QB Philip Rivers.

• Like Like x 1
  12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Clueless and ignorance at it's highest point!!! :yes:

Red bombs are in order!!!

13. Helljumper

Helljumper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +54
    Great article :tup:

14. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Hahahaha! They wouldn't even be in L.A.! They would be in some ****** stucco-encrusted suburb that has all of the character and appeal of a tepid glass of tap water garnished with a sweaty dick.

Seriously? Being triangulated between the city of Industry, West Covina and Pomona is desirable to you? Can I also mark you down as being interested in spooning between three morbidly obese child molestors with personal hygene issues? Check and check! Ahahahaha!

No! No! Wait! This is too good! The seven deadly sins! Gluttony, Sloth, Industry, West Covina, Pomona, Stupid-Posts. LOLOLOL!!!!

Post more! Need fresh material!!! :tup:

15. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Ditto here...

16. Nomadic Bolt Fan

Nomadic Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Same here....:tup:

17. CraziFuzzy

CraziFuzzy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    While it is off topic here (Rivers IS the best QB in the NFL, not just of the 2004 draft), I, too, would gladly welcome him playing a bit further north. The fact is, I just don't think even a super bowl ring is going to change the way the local SD governments are thinking in regards to a new stadium. Honestly the industry/diamond bar/covina area would all have so much more 'football friendly' governments. Of course, I'd like to see SD keep the chargers, but the apparent fact is it just ain't gonna happen. And I'd much rather they end up somewhere with multiple freeways going in and out, than stuck out in the hills outside Chula Vista, with really only one way to get there. (okay, the fact that I live WAY closer to LA skews my preferences a bit).

18. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Philip Rivers will go down as one of the most dangerous quarterbacks in the history of the game, one of those guys you can give no time at all. Though I doubt if the Chargers lose in OT to the Colts, Patriots, Saints, or Vikings, anyone outside of SoCal will complain about the lack of fairness in the overtime system because they didn't get to see Philip Rivers.

19. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    Phillip Rivers and Co. are TOO BIG for a small/medium market. If the :bolt:'s move to LA, Rivers will be a king like Kobe or Manny... plus the Chargers will keep their fans in San Diego. There's just too much $$$:popcorn:$$$ in LA for them to stand by and let some other team come to LA and steal half the Charger fanbase. :abq1:

20. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    You remember the Los Angeles Raiders. The Chargers would not be liked there what so ever because of the Raider Fans still there. It will be like Gang Warfare and there will be blood in the Streets of LA.

So again No Thank You.

Please let us get this thread back to Talking about Philip Rivers.

21. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    PR = :wub: No other QB can compare, not even Peyton with his silly commercials.

LA needs to go find their own team and leave ours alone :yes:

If Downtown doesn't work, they will be in North County San Diego anyway. LA can have the Rams or Jags or Raiders or Vikes - but not my Chargers. They wouldn't appreciate them anyway, just like they didn't with their last two teams.

22. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

Why didn't the LA area support the last 3 football teams they had? Because LA fans SUCK! :yes: Just watch the Dodger games. The fans leave before the game is over, even when they're winning!

23. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    You're not going to convince anybody here so you may as well just let it be. :lol:

24. CraziFuzzy

CraziFuzzy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    hey, I'm convinced, I'd LOVE to have the chargers move to LA... I'd also like to point out that while, yes, the raiders DO still have a big fanbase in LA, it has dropped significantly over the last 10 years. The majority of Raiders fans now are fans by virtue of their dad's being raiders fans back when they were kids. They are not tied to them other than the fact that there is noone else to draw them away.

Based on the options, I think it's better for the Chargers as a whole to embrace the Los Angeles audience, then to allow a competing team to come in and suck up those fans, drawing a large number FROM the chargers.

Sure, I'd LOVE for them to stay the San Diego Chargers, but I still think the likelihood of the stadium being built in Industry is far greater than a stadium being built in/near San Diego.

25. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Wow, I was under the impression most of the Raider fans in LA have been offed in drive by shootings over the past ten years.

26. CraziFuzzy

CraziFuzzy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    While I'm sure that has SOMETHING to do with the demise of their parents, it really does seem that the youth of LA (under 25) are not tied to any given team, and ligitimatly so. It also varies quite a bit from city to city. For an example, take a tour of the walmarts in the area, and see what team's merchandise they stock the most of. The number of stores that sell mostly raiders stuff has dropped a LOT in the last few years. It used to be I'd have to go down to north county to get chargers crap. That picture has changed a LOT. And if you doubt the validity of Walmart's market research.. you are fooling yourself.

27. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    Sweet.

The Chargers fanbase can grow in LA while the team stays in San Diego. :abq2:

28. CraziFuzzy

CraziFuzzy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    My point was, that that probably won't happen (the fanbase growing in LA) if LA has the Los Angeles Jaguars, or who ever end up moving there.

29. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    And the fanbase in San Diego will shrink significantly if they move to LA, so it's a trade off.

Me? I'll follow them no matter where they are as long as they don't strip the "Chargers" image.

30. CraziFuzzy

CraziFuzzy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    I don't think the san diego fanbase would drop that significantly with a move to LA. For the same reason it took 10 years for Los angeles fans to start leaving the raiders, with no options nearby (what, are they going to go to cardinals games?) they will still identify with the chargers. Either way, the drop in the san diego audience will be far less than gain from the la audience.

Please take these comments for what they are. This is strictly being discussed from a business sense. Emotionally, I'd prefer them to stay in San Diego, build a brand new stadium that looks very similar to the Murph, just bigger/better, and continue on as if nothing changed. The reality is, though, that that is already pretty much out the window. In my eyes, the next best decision would be a move to LA, to a site already zoned for a stadium, in a major market that is want for a team (especially one coming off a super bowl win ;) ) and where the market research is being done by an organization/man who is part owner in two VERY successful sports franchises.