1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Destroyed Patriot Tapes

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Gridreaper, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...I've often wondered why the NFL chose to destroy the tapes so quickly. Were they protecting the Patriots, the NFL or both? Maybe what they had was far more incriminating than they wanted to devulge. Baseball did the same thing once they realized the integrity of the game was being compromised with the steriod issues. What was in this library of information and did the details compromise the Patriots Super Bowl wins? I used to marvel at what they seemed to be able to accomplish with their personel...many times being outmanned. Spygate had to help to some degree, all narrow SB wins one as 14 point dogs to the Rams. The NFL and the Patriots like to think it's over, carefully swept under the rug. To anyone at least subjective, their legacy will always be tainted, at least to some degree.

2. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    I also wonder. I don't know how far or how deep this cheating scandal went, but I don't think evidence should ever be destroyed, just safely and securely filed away. I do think the NFL would go to lengths to protect itself over any possibly exposed "irregularities" occurring in the league...better to try and sweep it under the rug and get on with things...these multi-million dollar profit machines are not much different than the questionable running of overall politics...when push comes to shove you protect yourself.

But as far as our recent loss to the Pats, I don't think Spygate factored in at all. We just lost.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    It's simple why the NFL destroyed the tapes. If they've been destroyed, they can not be subpoenaed.

4. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    ----*----

5. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Who would subpoena the tapes? This isn't something before a federal grand jury. This scandal is contained within the confines of the NFL. One more thing...how does the NFL actually know WHAT the Pats turned in. They simply ask for ALL the tapes and trust that the cheaters will do just that? I read countless accounts from opposing coaches and players alike. In one instance Charlie Weiss approached an opposing coach and told him that they knew exactly what was coming but still couldn't stop them. I'd like to have had Roger Goodell demand interviews with Romeo Crennel, Weiss, Mangini and any other current or ex-assistant to get to the bottom of this. Maybe find out the actual depth of their cheating.
    Everyone was warned because the Pats got caught the year before. In their utter arrogance, Belicheat and Kraft thought it must apply to the rest of the league and not them. Goodell should have b***h slapped them to the tune of a suspension, the loss of a lot more than just the 32nd draft pick, something to really make them take note. The fines levied are a joke..we all know who's picking up that petty tab.

6. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    If I was a member of the Eagles org I would have subpoenaed the tapes. Members of their D are on record saying that "It was odd in the 2nd half, every time we would blitz, they would throw a screen...." or something to that effect. Don't feel like digging up the article.

You think the NFL wants the integrity of the Superbowl questioned? Hell no. The burned those things to protect the league.

7. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Doesn't even matter who would subpoena them. Just the possibility that they could be subpoenaed is enough. If the tapes no longer exist, there is zero chance that the tapes become a liability to the NFL.

8. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Oh yeah, point well taken Thumper

9. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Sunday morning, Sept. 16: On ESPN, Chris Mortensen reports Goodell's directive that the Patriots surrender all videotapes and notes containing cheating materials.

Sunday evening, Sept. 16: On NBC's "Football Night in America," Goodell says New England has not yet complied with his order to surrender all illegal materials, adding the Patriots will be penalized more if the materials don't arrive soon.

Monday, Sept. 17: Asked whether he will surrender videotapes and notes to the league, Belichick answers, "Of course." Asked by The Boston Globe whether NFL headquarters has received the Patriots' materials, Aiello answers, "We don't have anything else on the matter to report right now."

Sometime between Monday night, Sept. 17, and Thursday afternoon, Sept. 20: The New England materials arrive at league headquarters.

Thursday night, Sept. 20: The NFL announces all of the Patriots' materials have been destroyed, disclosing nothing about their contents.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/070925&sportCat=nfl

Hmmmmm. Why were they not reviewed?