1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Detroit Raiders cut yet another 1st pick!!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by wrbanwal, Mar 13, 2008.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/03/jones_edwards_are_latest_high.html

Jones, Edwards are latest high draft picks to go

Calling the moves "the best interest of our entire football team,'' Detroit Lions head coach Rod Marinelli has released running back Kevin Jones and Kalimba Edwards.

Jones was told that he was cut because of his injury history and his contract -- he was scheduled to make $2.4 million this season. Jones is rehabbing from ligament reconstruction surgery on his right knee but was expected to be back for the start of training camp. Edwards, who was been largely unproductive for most of his career, was inactive for games at the end of last season and his release is not a surprise.
    Related:

This off-season has seen a parade of former Lions high draft picks leave town:

-- Jones was a first-round pick in 2004 while Edwards was a second-rounder in 2002.

--- Two second-round choices -- linebackers Boss Bailey (2003) and Teddy Lehman (2004) -- left the team as free agents. The Lions made no effort to try to re-sign them.

--- Second-round pick Shaun Rogers (2001) was traded to the Cleveland Browns.

--- First-rounders Joey Harrington (2002), Charles Rogers (2003) and Mike Williams (2005) are long gone.

--- From the 2002 draft, the Lions have one player remaining (fifth-rounder John Owens, who has bounced around the league). From the 2003 draft, the Lions have one player remaining (Cory Redding). The Lions do not have a starter on the roster, other than Roy Williams, from the 2004 and 2005 drafts.

Prior to joining the Detroit Lions, Millen was a professional football linebacker for the Oakland Raiders, the San Francisco 49ers and the Washington Redskins of the NFL. In Millen's 12-year NFL playing career, he played on four Super Bowl-winning teams. Millen won a Super Bowl ring with each of the three NFL teams for which he played

the apple doesn't fall far!! :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

Yaeh, he had a great career and was a top notch LB.

but as a Pres/GM

he SUCKS!!!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Helmutt

Helmutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17
    Millen is Bizarro World-AJ.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  3. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    we should pick up Jones to replace Turner

4. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I thought about this as well, but it would depend on how sound his knees were, and whether there were residual problems with his past injuries. The contract would have a small signing bonus, with most of the money in a roster clause. I might also offer two years, with figures tied to incentives made this season and a buy out option.

5. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    I'm still laughing about the Detroit Raiders lead in. :icon_rofl:

6. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    How is he still GM? He must have pictures of Ford with a dolphin......

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    i wasn't sure if this was about detroit or oakland upon reading the title

8. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Millan is doing a great job over there :icon_rofl:

Jones is a player i wouldnt mind getting to back up LT if he is cheap enough and even his 2.4 million he was supposed to get this year is cheaper than Turners 2.5 he got last year.

Call his agent AJ, and find out how his rehab is going.

I dont say this very often but he is one id like to inquire about.

9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Best one:

:lol:

To everyone suggesting we inquire about KJ: AJ won't sign him. He's gonna replace MT in the draft.

10. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    I think he will also.....KJ is not all that great.

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Kevin has ALWAYS worked his *** off. I watched his whole career at VT & he was nothing but a team player & exciting to watch run the ball. I'm not saying that he's a fit for us, but the Lions made a mistake in letting him go. He'll do well for someone with a decent OL.

As for Millen - he must have gotten his GM chops from old Al! :tdown:

12. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347

All this makes me sooooo happy the Spanos clan didn't stick with Beathard any longer than they did. I cannot even imagine what this team would be like at this point in time. Meanwhile, guys who are just as lacking in judgement as he was hang on in organizations whose teams we will have for lunch this year.

13. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

the fans here are frustrated by the whole thing. And, they raised the ticket prices as well. But people are just to stubborn, there is still a waiting list for season tickets to Lions, I just don't get it.

For the most part Detroit has the Wings and Tigers so bottom line the average john q. fan really doesn't care all that much about the lions

14. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    So, can we say that Millen is only going to be remembered for his superbowls?

Well, it's nice to see the Lions are paying him more than any other GM in the league. One should be rewarded for such hard work.