1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Did AJ save his job?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MasterOfPuppets, Apr 28, 2012.

?

Did AJ save his job?

1. Yes, if they fail is on Norv

8 vote(s)
    38.1%
  2. No, I hope he goes (along with Norv) no matter what

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. I'll wait and see what happens (boring answer although the correct one)

12 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    he got the players in free agency, proved that free agents will sign with him, he had a good draft, he did his job, it's now on Norv, I think regardless of how the Chargers do he should be safe.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I think you're missing an answer. It's possible that the consequences of the 2007/8/9 drafts will still impact his job status. If Spanos was basing his employment status exclusively on this offseason, then this is a poor time to make this poll, as the offseason isn't over yet.

I think, so far, that this is looking like an amazing offseason by Smitty. The question is whether that's enough.

If Norv fails this year, and the season is another garbage fest, who knows whether or not the quality of this offseason is enough for his job. You have to like his chances though.

3. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +449
    AJ has been crap for years and Dean has turned his head! The only way his job is safe is when the Bolts get back to the playoffs and get to the Super Bowl, but then again Dean will need the Balls to do what he should have done at the end of last season. AJ has let the rest of the AFC west get better for 3 seasons now, his time as a Charger was up two seasons ago.

Sent from my iPhone

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I think I'll wait to see how the pudding tastes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    The answer will play out on the field. The only way he saves his job is if the Chargers win. If they don't make the playoffs, he and Norv are gone.

6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    It looks to me that AJ's job is directly tied to Norv's success or lack thereof, on the field. I just want the Bolt's to win no matter who is calling the shots and now my hope lies with Pag's, as I believe it still is defense that wins the tin. After 40 plus years I'm still waiting for a consistently tough defense to go along with one of the best offensive teams in the history of the NFL.

7. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Ummm, so what about the other players from past years that he is responsible for ?.................he gets a pass on those decisions simply because he finally did OK in a draft ?............I seriously doubt thats how it works.

If this squad goes anything like the last 2 years, as far as win/loss records go, both Norf and AJ need to take a hike, it's that simple, by that stage it should be obvious to even the staunchiest Norf/AJ lovers that they can longer steer this ship on its correct course.

In saying that though, I expect a much better season in 11/12, than what has been dished up the last 2.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +449

More then 7 wins mate? :rolleyes: You have high hopes!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    Short answer: No. It looks like AJ improved his chances of sticking around with this draft and the flurry of activity in free agency so far. If these players produce we have a legitmate shot at the postseason. Because the other AFC West teams are improved and Denver is getting all of the preseason hype, perhaps the Chargers can get the notion that they can just show up and rolll their helmets on the field and win out of their heads.

On paper, from this draft the defense just got a whole lot better, we also picked up a big tight end to groom, some depth at the interior O-line positions and another running back to fight for a spot in camp. Now we all just have to wait and see how the draft picks, free agents and current players perform when it counts.

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Denver still sucks, they just now have high-profile suckage with Peyton. :broncossuck:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Let's see what AJ has really done as a GM
    2004-draft-- A+
    2012 ?
    That is a lot of wasted years for a 'smart, know what he is doing' GM. Why did it take Dean for being booed for AJ to realize he F'ed up for the past several years? There is NO guarantee that Robert Meachum will be a good WR on grass. If everything is true on paper than we are one play maker short on offense. We had that guy on LaMicheal James and we could have finally had a finished offense. But that is not what happened AJ took Reyes and for all intentions is to stop the other team. IF our Offense sputters and comes up short than AJ missed on the draft with Reyes but if our Offense is steller as it once was than AJ picked the correct guy in Reyes.

12. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I'll wait and see.

If the team fails to make the POs this year, and AJ doesn't throw Norv under the bus for it, then GTFO both of you. If he does, he stays.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I honestly think he's thoroughly rebuilt the Chargers on offense and defense. He has given Norv a ton of weapons to work with, now its Norv's responsibility to make the team go. Pagano doesn't have to try and make chicken salad with chicken **** any longer, he's got four good OLB and four good ILB. He has depth in the backfield and up front on the line. Again he's got to make the pieces work correctly. Frankly i think AJ should be threatened with firing and public beheading every year if he can do what he did this year

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. PRiversMVP619

PRiversMVP619 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    People seem to not realize what their roles mean, success is important and I know when things are looking bad that everybody pulls out their pitchforks and torches for their heads. I was guilty of it as well when things were bad last year, but AJ did his job, his job is strictly to bring in the talent and he did that, FA was great and so is the draft which i know wont pan out til the jerseys are on the field but as far as it goes right now he did an A+ job.... sure other years have been iffy but you swear like other GMs have a perfect career, Bellicheck ****** up for years too but nobody brings that up cause of his rings, AJ did his job and now its on Norv. PERIOD

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Right on the nose. Deano should go through the season with his hand on the plunger to set off the TNT.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    You can't seperate the GM from the HC, when the problem is talent atrophy. If Norv's team has trouble because of a lack of talent at key positions, then that's not necesarily Norv's fault. I think either way, Norv has to make the playoffs and win some games there to save his job. I don't know what impact this offseason is going to have for Smitty, but you have to think that Spanos the Younger's development as a scout is going to play a role in any decision regarding Smith's employment going forward.

17. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    If we go 8-8 or less do you think AJ should return? I think not

18. gettough

gettough BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    I think the 2010 draft is key here with Ryan Mathews, Donald Butler and Cam Thomas hopefully improving. If those 3 guys get better it should make a huge difference.

19. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Smith is under contract through 2014. I seriously doubt that Dean sends him packing if he views this offseason as having been successful. I don't think the Chargers have to win any playoff games for Smitty to keep his job, sadly. I think that needs to happen for Norv, however.