1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Did Cincy throw Sunday's game against the Jets?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltssbbound, Jan 4, 2010.

1. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I seriously doubt that any team goes out to deliberately tank a game, but I think the question has to be asked. The only thing Cincy would have gotten by winning last Sunday was the #3 seed, meaning a tougher opponent in the wild card round (Ravens) and, if they survived, a guaranteed rematch with the NFL's hottest team who beat them a few weeks ago.

So I'll pose the question since no one else has bothered to.

2. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    Do you really think Cincy wants some more of this?

If they do then let the beattings begin.

3. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    If that were the case, they would played their backups the entire game.

The Jets were ON FIRE that game.

4. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    Of course they did. So did the Cards.

5. Mr. D™

Mr. D™ Who Dey!!

Ratings:
    +24
    not if they didn't want their starters to get a starting stat in their stats. somehow they wanted to do that bad but, it's a good idea to toss the game that they didn't really need to win

6. Eat My Boltage

Eat My Boltage Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +43
    WTF???????????????????:icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    We tried to throw our game but the Redskins suck too badly to take it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mr. D™

Mr. D™ Who Dey!!

Ratings:
    +24
    man I'm getting tired I guess, my finger's ain't typing out everything I wanted to say :icon_eek:

let me rephrase that a bit

not if they did wanted their starters to get a starting stat in their stats. somehow I doubt they wanted to do that bad but, it's a good idea to toss the game that they didn't really need to win

I hope that fixes any questions

9. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,415
    I wouldn't go as far as to say they threw the game. It's just that they didn't have as much at stake in it and probably didn't care as much.

Add to that the fact that they wouldn't want to show much against a team they'd probably be playing in a more important game a week later and they were probably conservative.

As for the actual events in the game in question, more specifically the first half, it was pretty much a perfect storm of bad events.

WRs dropping everything thrown their way leading to quick 3 and outs then the defense stopping the Jets until 3rd down then letting them get a 1st down but not much more....which leads to a huge chunk of time being taken off the clock.

Add to that a couple long runs and the Jets being much more inspired and you have 27-0 at halftime.

Next Saturday, win or lose, will not be the same story for the Bengals.

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I think it's the organization's business how they handle their game plan & the NFL, fans, etc. should STFU since they aren't held responsible or accountable for the team's performance.

You don't think you got your money's worth as a fan? Boycott

You're pissed as a team that another team's actions affected your post season aspirations? Try winning more during the regular season.

All sports involve a certain amount of strategy. Why should it just end on the playing field? :icon_shrug:

11. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    both Cincy and Philly were shutout and lost by a bunch. Did they both go into the tank? Or just get their butts kicked? Only a good set of Gitmo interogators to know for sure.

I guess we'll know this coming week if it was a tank or just crappy football.

12. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,415
    The Eagles had more at stake than the Bengals.

Winning and losing meant the difference between a bye week and playing in WC weekend on the road for the Eagles.

13. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +411
    The whole theory is ridiculous. Had the Bungles won that game they would have played HOUSTON instead of the Jets. You obviously have not "bothered" to pay attention.

14. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Is it the case that he has not bothered to pay attention, or that you are somehow "bothered" that he asks a good question?

So what? They would have played Houston? The Jets have the better defense and running game. For a cold weather game in Cincinnati that it the more dangerous team...

Also how many teams when locked into the playoffs come out and play a vanilla game the last week of the season. This is nothing new. It happens every year.

Thus, it is a valid question IMO, Hope that does not "Bother" you! :lol:

15. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    72 net yards of total offense and ZERO net passing yards, even with backups, certainly doesn't make the case that they gave even minimal effort.

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    As I watched the game I did not get the sense they were phoning it in. But you never know. Stranger things have happened.

17. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    I missed it, was it a case of back-ups not executing a vanilla game plan?

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I dont know the Bengals well, Palmer and Ochostinko were in most of the time. It just looked like they were doing nothing special. My feeling was they were not going to show anything during the game.

19. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    They knew going in that they were going to play the Jets at home if they mailed it in, so why not treat it like an exhibition game. Let the Jets throw out everything and the Bengals were holding back.

If the Bengals turn around and beat the Jets by +14 then that might have been the case.

20. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +411
    So you are saying in effect that the Bengals threw the game because they would rather face the better defence and running game of the Jets as opposed to the inferior Texans.

Maybe I just picked a thread at random and found a weird one.

21. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    They tried to win for a quarter and a half, then after being down by so much, they phoned it in. They knew they had NO shot doing anything in the 2nd half.

closer game this week in Cincy, but Cincy should be worried a little, because if their offense stalls, the Jets can steal a playoff win.

Bengals score 17 points, they will win at home.

22. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    I'll take a different angle. There would be serious repercutions (sp?) if they "threw" the game based on the fact that these games have money put on them legally. Would throwing the game be the same as fixing the game?

Did they throw the game? No. They tried to win, they just tried to win with inferior players then what they are use to fielding. Plus what HollywoodLeo said, the Jets had more to fight for. The Bengals were already in it and the Jets were fighting for their lives.