1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Did GAWD lie to the Titans?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by leisure, May 8, 2007.

1. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    If Tennessee drafted Griffin based on what they figured AJ wanted, then they were just plain stupid. More likely they thought grabbing Griffin, who they did know AJ was considering strongly, would give them some leverage with the Chargers. AJ punked 'em. AJ just told folks he does't leave his chain laying around just so they can jerk it.

:icon_tease:

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I doubt it

in all likeliness the drafting of griffin was to force AJ to a Turner deal on their terms as opposed to the first and the third he was asking for.

My guess is that the titans wanted turner for griffin straight up and by drafting griffin (a player the chargers liked and needed) the Chargers would be more interested in making the trade then if the Titans had selected Bowe or Ross or Harrell or whomever.

I think AJ just asked for too much

3. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    If AJ lied to the Titans, they would be screaming to high heaven about it. Your conspiracy theory rings a little hollow.

The Titans might have taken Griffin in the hope that they could swing a trade, but if AJ had agreed in principle and then backed out, he would have a helluva time ever making another trade in the NFL.

4. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Exactly. They tried to pull an AJ like the PR/Eli deal but it backfired. They gave AJ all the leverage when they drafted Griffin and AJ in turn no doubt jacked the price up to the point where Tenessee figured they'd be better off just keeping Griffin. AJ probably thought the deal would still go through and when it didn't he had to scramble to make the Weddle deal.

5. LFEpooh124

LFEpooh124 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    I don't think AJ necessarily lied. I think the Titans were just stupid to think they could force anything on their terms. Trading Burner for Griffin straightup? Maybe...but first I'd like to see how Weddle, and the other safeties pan out. Now if they offered Griffin in a package for Burner. Sure, why not. From what I gathered (MC analysis), we've got a plethora of players that can back up LT (as a group). We'll just put them on a rotating basis or something.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I think your AJ hatred is taking over your common sense my friend. Two things; one I'm not going to ask Griffin those questions even if I could find him because he would not have been privy to any deal for him the titans and chargers were making.
    Second, the Chargers were obviously looking for a SS and outside of LaronLandry Griffin was the best strong safety in the draft class, so you can put 1+1 and come up with two on the one. For all the talk of Reggie Nelson he was primarily a free safety where we have Mcree already

7. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    How did Cleveland know they had to get back into the first to get Quinn? They said that another team was high on Quinn and had to make a move. That stuff happens all the time. Speculation, phone calls, inside information. I dont see how it has to be some deal gone sour. But right now its all speculation, so speculate away.

8. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    when i watched the titans take griffin i wouldve bet a large sum of money he was going to be delt day one, after we took weddle, the whole thing was very fishy to me, i know a lot of guys here arent high on griffin anyhow so maybe aj figured the better talent was there in the second which is why he gave up so many picks to select him.

9. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    I have thought that too but the more i think about the less i believe it. I mean if that was the case, im sure the titans would eventualy crack and give up a #3 next year (basically the equivalent of a #4 this year) instead of wasting not one, but two draft picks (they wasted a pick on a scrub RB in the 2nd) on this deal.

I mean they could of easily thrown in next years #3(meeting AJs asking price of a #1 & 3) gotten Turner and then taken Steve Smith in the 2nd (a chow favorite) and actually made use of their top 2 picks

I think they really did want griffin for some reason

10. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    If AJ did that then Tennessee would release the information and AJ would have horrible rep around the league and nobody would risk making transactions with him.

11. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    Ahh ok. I do think Tennessee's GM is a complete idiot who doesn't know what he's doing. Tennessee had one of the worst drafts in recent years in my opinion. Did you see the video of Griffin's draft party? When he heard his name called everyone around him was going crazy and he just sat in his chair looking upset, confused and disappointed.. but he is a professional so he knows what he's gotta do. Chris Henry in the 2nd round was a complete joke :icon_twisted:

12. sdrocks

sdrocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Exactly. AJ has a reputation of being a straight shooter and he would not throw all that away by screwing the Titans. I agree that I think they tried to pull the same Stunt AJ did with the Giants and it backfired.

13. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    If I were Tennessee I would have gone:

Robert Meachem
    Eric Wright
    Charles Johnson
    Marcus Thomas
    Scott Chandler
    Cameron Stephenson
    Korey Hall

Looks like Reinfeld (sp?) was forced to bring in players who he knew wouldn't be trouble makers, but in doing so talent was compromised. Everyone will see how Marcus Thomas and Charles Johnson won't be troublemakers in the NFL. Denver stole an all-pro defensive tackle in the 4th round.

14. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    According to my "sources", this whole transaction of Turner for Griffin will take place once the Pacman appeal is addressed.

If Pacman returns, the trade goes through, if Pacman suspension stays, the deal is off.

15. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    Not happening. We gave up tons of picks to draft a CB/FS.. his name is Eric Weddle.

16. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    Contingency plan

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Dunno about this.. Would be hard for a man of his word (AJ) to go back on it and trade him after telling all teams interested to forget about him for 07. He has said he will be here for 07 period. I don't think AJ has ever said one thing definitively and done another has he?..

Oh and I do go with the theory that the Titans drafted Griffin in the hope that they could then work a deal with AJ. They probably did know how high Griffin was on our board (esp in terms of position need) and reckoned they could get AJ to come down somewhat on his asking price. Thing is AJ then decided No I'm happy with drafting Davis and Weddle and keeping the Burner too. Sorry but no deal. I don't think there can be any hard feelings on the Titans side, they gambled and still wound up with a good player albeit in less of a position of need for them, they probably would have preferred Ross, Bowe or Meachem at the end of the day.

18. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    :fan:

19. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

20. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    Stop criticizing me

[​IMG]

21. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Why would I criticize you, princess?

BTW, Kucinich was on Bill Maher a couple weeks ago, and he was great. I would certainly vote for him, if I wanted to throw my vote away. But since the little leprechaun has no chance of winning, I'm going to have to go with Obama.

22. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I like Charles Johnson too. But I'm not so sure that Griffin won't be a better pro than all of those guys on your list.

Jeff Fisher was reportedly very high on Griffin before the draft, and Titan fans are pleased and excited about the pick after getting to know him.

Griffin is a very good player who will do well in the NFL.