1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Did I Miss Something????

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltsnow, Dec 24, 2009.

1. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Norv on Merriman......

Head coach Norv Turner said Merriman’s availability remains a game-day decision, but also noted that Merriman’s coming off an impressive outing against the Cincinnati Bengals.

If I remember correctly, didn't he have no tackles, no assists, no sacks, no INT's & no forced fumbles? Carson Palmer had a pretty good game and they rushed for over 100 yards total. What part of his game was "impressive"? :icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  2. 14fouts

14fouts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    There hasnt been anything about his game this entire season that has been impressive imo. And i've watched every game, every play this year. Maybe Norv is just trying to boost his ego. :icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Perhaps Norv felt that it was impressive that Shawne was able to gut out as many snaps as he did with his injury?

There's a wide range of emotions regarding Merriman & I don't intend to re-hash them here. I'll only say this ....

Shawne had MAJOR reconstructive knee surgery. His position & style of play requires that he put tremendous stress on that joint. Now I know that we all hoped that Shawne would jump right back in with a vengeance, but how realistic was that expectation?

You can argue until you're blue in the face over what Shawne should or shouldn't have done regarding the surgery. You can harangue him about what he has had to say regarding his readiness. You can beat him up about his off-field activities.

One thing that I know - if he WERE tearing it up right now, most of you would be clinging to his jock like burrs in a donkey's tail. I'm not in the camp to toss him aside because he hasn't been a dominant force this year.

We'll likely put the RFA tender of a 1 & 3 on him. If someone should pony up, it's likely bye-bye Shawne & we draft a new pass rushing demon. If not, we'll have another year to see if he can make it back fully from the injury or if he's done.

What did you expect Norv to say? Shawne sucked today & we're going to sit him until he gets healthy? Riiiiiight ..... :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  4. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Didn't really have any expectations of his saying anything but maybe say he had a "good" game but to say an impressive game.....well....to me, that seems to be stretching it a bit.

For the record, I am all for us retaining Merriman. He is the only player that I have a close enough to authentic jersey and would hate to have to hang it up. :yes:

5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Impact is not only measured by tackles. Shawne was closing lanes and taking up blockers. He may not have been in on the plays but if you watch the replay of he game you will see he is around the ball a lot.

6. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    I could be wrong but I thought I saw mostly one on one with the left tackle.

Around the ball huh? Does that constitute "impressive"? Let's paint a picture.....ball carrier runs to Cromartie's side and he usually waits for someone else to make the tackle. I guess he did good since he was around the ball.

To have him around the ball and not make any plays tells me that he wasn't able to shed a defenser to make the tackle.

Hey, I still love Merriman (in a non sexual way of course:lol:) and also want him to get resigned but I just did not see that Cinci game as a game that Norv saw when it came to Merriman.

7. BoltWash

BoltWash BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18

Def didnt have an impressive game last week, unless he switched jerseys with Dobbins at half time.:lol:

Seems like Merriman has had naggin injuries the whole year which may be why he has struggled. He has looked good in a few games. I think its a win-win next year, either we keep Merriman or we get high draft picks.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Around the ball means he is there to make the play if it gets past another player. It also means that gaps and holes are being plugged channeling a runner to a tackler. Is this incorrect?

Sorry, too many fans seem to think that all we need is one person to tackle on defense. There is more to defending the field than making tackles.

9. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Agree totally. I would without a doubt hope that were retain him. Watching one of the Football preview shows one of the ex-nfl players said that it took 2 years to bounce back from knee surgery. Saying that the first year don't expect tto much but the second year is when a player should be their old self. Let's hope that happens and he is still with us.

I also expect him to have a big game tomorrow night. With all of the internal issues between the 2 teams and he was the one who was the most impacted by the Titans play, I expect him to come up big. :tup:

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    That's my take on Shawne as of now. There is no doubt in my mind that the fire is still there. Mind is willing but the body is still a little weak.

I hope that the team gives him another off-season of recovery to show us whether he can make it back or not. If they decide to go in another direction, then let's hope we can parlay him into quality draft picks and/or a productive FA RB.

• Like Like x 1
  11. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,424
    I know I heard his name on the PA at least once, so I think he had at least one tackle.

12. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    I know that these can be off but......

Defense
    T-A SCK INT FF
    T. Dobbins 10-1 0.0 0 1
    E. Weddle 7-1 0.0 0 0
    K. Ellison 5-1 1.0 0 0
    A. Cason 4-1 0.0 0 0
    Q. Jammer 4-2 0.0 1 0
    B. Siler 4-3 0.0 0 0
    S. Cooper 3-3 0.0 0 0
    S. Gregory 3-1 0.0 0 0
    T. Johnson 3-0 0.0 0 0
    A. Boone 2-1 1.0 0 1
    L. English 2-1 0.0 0 0
    K. Osgood 2-0 0.0 0 0
    I. Scott 2-0 0.0 0 0
    A. Gates 1-0 0.0 0 0
    J. Hester 1-0 0.0 0 0
    J. Holt 1-0 0.0 0 0
    V. Martin 1-0 0.0 0 0
    P. Oliver 1-1 0.0 0 0
    D. Sproles 1-0 0.0 0 0
    M. Tolbert 1-1 0.0 0 0
    J. Cesaire 0-1 0.0 0 0
    L. Naanee 0-1 0.0 0 0

13. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,424
    Yeah, I just checked.

Maybe he was in coverage on a pass or something cuz I know I heard his name on the PA at least once.

14. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Merriman was also getting pressure on Palmer. He might not have recorded a sack, but he did get his hands on Palmer on a few occasions.

• Like Like x 1
  15. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Please don't tell this to the uninformed, Stats are the only thing that count to these people. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  16. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    when your hurt your hurt. Plus every team double teams you on top of that.

We need to kill the titans and get 3 weeks to rest our wounded. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  17. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Agreed. But Cinci ran the ball 19 times and passed 40 times. I don't think he warranted the label of "impressive". It's only my opinion but to me impressive would mean that you played above your normal game and probably made a few outstanding plays. I just didn't see it. I'm not saying he played a bad game, just not an impressive game. When he use to have games with 7-8 tackles, a couple of sacks everyone (chargers players & coach) would say that that is what he does, that's why we love him. To me a game like that would be impressive.

Not for nothing but if he is the OLB rushing the QB, how many people are gonna be infront of him to miss the tackle? And if he had no tackles then I guess that means that the player made the tackle. I get the gist of what you are trying to say but in this game I really don't think Cinci ran the ball his way very much and thus he wasn't given the opportunity to make very many plays. That is the only reason why I question Norv's use of words.

:icon_party: Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!

18. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    And hurt he is. Hey, I don't question his ability at all. I don't question his determination one bit. I also am on the bandwagon of resigning him because I believe next year he will be back 100% and tuely ready to go.

Watch the game film again Foob, he was not double teamed as much as many think. Teams right now seem to be going one on one with him. Until he can start to beat left tackles again I think he is going to see only one guy on him.

I will go on record and say I believe he will have a big game against the Titans tonight. :yes:

19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Perhaps you are right, but there has to have been something that he saw to give that label. He doesn't drop those on players just to get media reactions.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Norv didn't say he had impact. He said he was impressive.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Aaaaaaand? Is that the extent of your argument? :lol:

22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,424
    Impressiveness is not only measured by tackles. Shawne was closing lanes and taking up blockers. He may not have been in on the plays but if you watch the replay of he game you will see he is around the ball a lot.

23. vmax

vmax BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    There were a couple of times that I saw him push the left tackle back into Palmers face with a straight ahead bull rush. It is not a sack, tackle, etc, but has an impact on Palmers ability to stand in the pocket and wait for a receiver to open up. Impressive is a relative term, was his play as impressive as watching Reggie White hurl a tackle aside with one arm then go in and make the sack? Probably not. Was is more impressive than 8 or 9 weeks ago when the opposing QBs could stand around all day and never get pressured? I think so, but your entitled you your own opinion.