1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Did Norv play too conservative in the end?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BOLTS4LIFE, Jan 23, 2008.

1. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Now before some of you get your panties in a bunch, I think this is a pretty legitimate question.

On our last possession, we were down by nine points, deep in our own territory, and there were like three minutes left.
    Yes, I understand that if we go for it on fourth down and don't make it we're in major trouble but we're already in major trouble. Even if we did hold them to three and out, they would eat up a good amount of the clock and we'd be stuck with very little time for two scores.

I'm thinking we should have gone for it. Even if we didn't make it, we still would have been down by two scores or less (assuming they wouldn't go for a two point conversion) and we still would have stood a slim but better chance.

2. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    I was sooooooooo phuquen pissed when he punted in the 4th down by 9... the neighbors thought I totally lost it - they were right...

I thought - we're done... and we were...

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    In the end, hindsight being what it is, I feel perhaps we were too timid in the red zone. However I also acknowledge that the Pats red zone D (and it kills me to say this) is very good, and our main red zone weapons were less than 100%.

So I am not going to base anything off of it yet. I look for better things next season.

4. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99

exactly what I was thinking! Instead of that last fg they should of went for it on the 4th down

5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Yeah. I agreed with going for the field goal on the first drive just to get on the board. After that, you have to get into the endzone a few times.

6. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    He did what he had done all year. You don't change the way you coach just because you're in a playoff game.

7. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    ya you can

8. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I'm with you. My roommate looked at me like I was phucking nuts. I was screaming "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUC" repeatedly and stomping up and down. I knew that was it. The decision to punt was horrible and indefensible.

9. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I'd have gone for the 4th and 2, but the rest of it is open to hindsight. A certain way of playing and coaching got us there in the first place and I wouldn't expect any radical changes in playoff game, especially since we are so good at forcing turnovers.

10. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554

I disagree. We had not been in that situation all year: Down by 9 with 9 minutes to play against the most prolific offense in NFL history. You don't punt in that situation. It was a bad, bad decision. Even if we'd held the Pats to a three and out it was a bad decision. We gaine 26 yards of filed position by punting. Even if we'd held them to three and out, the Pats would have burned 2 minutes and 30 seconds off the clock. 26 yards of field position is not worth 2 minutes and 30 seconds of game time when you are down by 9 with 9 minutes to play.

11. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Word. :tup:

12. Bolt Action

Bolt Action BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm of the same thinking here. The 4th and 2 I also thought we should have gone for it. On the other hand the D was more than holding their own for most of the game. Too bad they couldn't seem to handle that 3 TE set that they started running. Sure would have been nice to have our big guns in the red zone.

13. OverVolt

OverVolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    Actually, I think he blew it on a couple plays that happened earlier.
    The big one was his run to the outside using Turner, Jr. busts through the middle and ends what should have been a NO BRAINER TD...HELLO, you have two downs to get one yrd for a first, two yrds for a TD...your O-line is big...why in the hell wouldn't you run Turner straight up the middle, there's little doubt you get that yrd with two tries!!!! Then you got four more downs to gain one more yrd and a TD!
    Add to that, everytime we are inside our own 15, it was run, run, pass...what ever happen to play actioning into a 10-15 yrd pass? Every time the D was stacked to stop the run, why not just catch them out of position? Philip was able to complete a couple of those third downs, but others he didn't.

All this leads me to a thread I've been thinking about.

14. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...With a trip to the Super Bowl on the line, I would have definitely gone for the first down/TD instead of the FG on that 3rd and 1 from the 4 (score 14-9). Norv couldn't have honestly hoped to win 15-14?? A play action pass on the 3rd down call to Turner would have been nice, especially if you were willing to try again on would have been 4th and one had the pass failed. They were anticipating a run all the way. Just before that, they converted a 3rd and 1 with a nice pass to Vincent.

15. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    we just didnt have our big guys for the redzone.

16. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    It was the first five minutes of the 2nd half, and it was 4th and 3 from the 5. I didn't disagree with kicking the field goal there, but I did disagree with running a pull play on 3rd and 1. I would have called a straight run into the middle. Tell everyone to block the guy in front of them and let Turner find a crack. Instead, we pulled a guard, enabling Junior to shoot the gap and stop the play for a two yard loss.

17. Showmeyourbolt

Ratings:
    +192

No it was the right decision. ALL YEAR LONG we had punted teams inside their ten yard line, and made a stop. We had New England at 3rd and 11, and we didn't make the stop. There is no way you go for it there, with a gimped up offense that hadn't been able to make a key play all day. The defense had kept us in the game, and had done so all year.

18. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Again, all year long we did not punt the ball down by 9 with 9 minutes to play to the most prolific offense in NFL history. If we'd punted them down to the 1 yard line, that would have been 35 yards of field position. But even if the Pats had gone 3 and out, they would have run 2-3 minutes off the clock. 2-3 minutes is not worth 20-30 yards of field position in that situation.

19. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    YEAH, BUT DO YOU AGREE WITH THE PUNT!!!

COME ON MAN!!!!

YES OR NO!!!!!

:icon_tease::icon_tease::icon_tease:

20. Showmeyourbolt

Ratings:
    +192

If we don't convert on the fourth down, then we are basically conceding the game to the Patriots. They are getting the ball at midfield, and wouldn't have had to go far at all for a game clenching field goal. You have to try and draw the game out, and give your team more opportunities to score. When the offense hadn't been able to convert in a key situation, really all game, how could Norv trust them to go and convert a fourth and nine against a veteran, well-rested defense?

21. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    i was mad when he didnt go for it, but in his defense he probably thought because of how good our D was that day we would get the ball back

22. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    We never got the ball back. 4th and 10 from the Pats 36 is as good an opportunity as we could expect to get for the remainder of that game. We were 10 yards from field goal range. We weren't at midfield. We were at the Pats 36.

Norv didn't have a choice but to trust the offense to convert in that situation. 26 yards of field position was not worth giving up possession of the football.

23. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Our last possession was with 9.5 minutes left give or take...NE held the ball for 9+ minutes to finish the game. We called our list timeout while on D with about 5 minutes left...

And yes, we should have gone for it after Turner took the power 50 outside and yes we should have gone for it on 4th and 10 with 9+ left.

TBF

24. imported_Bolt_Attack

imported_Bolt_Attack BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    Yes, I actually felt he was too conservative on that play and all of our red zone possessions except the first one (getting points on our first possession was paramount).

In his defense though, our defense had been pretty much shutting them down all day. Having said that, on our last drive he had to know that they started being able to run the ball on the previous drives and that that possession could have been our last real opportunity.

25. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I probably would’ve gone for it too, but I can also understand the rationale behind punting the ball. Over 9 minutes left, that’s a lot of time left on the clock, and our offense seemed out of synch at that time.

I was much more pissed that we didn’t pound MT up the middle on that 3rd and 1. We take control of the game if we go up 16-14.