1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Did the San Diego Chargers Allow LaDainian Tomlinson To Turn Soft?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    By Ian Philip 1-23 09

Regardless of where LaDainian Tomlinson winds up next season, there is a question about his toughness. He has had a significant injury in four out of the last five seasons.

In 2004 it was his groin. In 2005 it was his ribs. In 2007 it was his knee. In 2008 it was his toe and groin.

Let me get down to the bottom line here: You can't just be tough because you've decided to be mentally strong. Over the past four seasons, Tomlinson has only been hit in real games. He doesn't get hit in training camp, the preseason, or practice. The guys he is getting hit by are banging from training camp on.

It is physically impossible for a guy that doesn't get hit to be anywhere near as tough as a guy that is getting hit all the time. Impossible.
    I was playing basketball against undefeated MMA fighter Ty Glover a couple of years ago, and I'm known as a tough guy. So when this little 175lbs guy came charging through the lane, I held my ground while everybody else parted like the Red Sea. We banged knees, after which he walked off the court feeling good and I was limping for two weeks.

I may have thought I was buff and tough, but Ty was used to getting banged on. He was tough.

There is only one way for LT to toughen up and that's by getting hit. To L.T.'s credit he tried to get into the preseason only to be veto'd by head coach Norv Turner. Tomlinson shouldn't go overboard, but he should try to get more work in during the week so that he is a little tougher when the bodies start banging in live action.

Here's to hoping that L.T. comes back to the Chargers for another year.

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
  3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Its an interesting thought, but you could also make an argument that its better he doesn't get hit. He's had very good years, better ones in fact, since they went to this 'no hit' policy.

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Well, I think the main point is that now he DOESN'T want to get hit, when it's in his job description.

5. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    Hmm. Does make some sense.

He also has never met a sideline he didn't like. I can understand sometimes when there are 3-4 guys going to pile him, but he does it when it is 1 on 1.

6. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    I could see getting hurt being an issue by trying to avoid a hit, but getting hit anyway; in other words, you should hit back first to ensure your body is ready for the blow. I don't buy that thoughness in body joints and limbs improves with the more hits you take...not a very logical argument in my opinion.

7. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334

8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979

9. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    Having broken three ribs just three weeks ago I am amazed that LT did as well as he did in 2005. Those ****ers hurt during everything you do, especially breathing and sleeping.

10. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Put down the toy gun and back away from the keyboard Mansker... your killing my buzz... [​IMG]

That is all...

11. BLITZED56

BLITZED56 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50
    :lol:

12. BLITZED56

BLITZED56 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50
    That's the one thing I don't like about LT's game. It seemed that his first 3-4 years in the league he take on those tacklers. His last 2-3 years like you said even with one person there he would rather go out of bounds.