1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Didn't they learn?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MadMike, Aug 20, 2011.

1. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Saints inside the 5. 3rd down. Sproles in. What would Norv do? Yep you guessed it. Delay hand off to Sproles and he gets crushed. Didn't they learn from us? That play worked one time and they ran it at least 10 more times to the tune of -5 yards. Saints must have only watched the Raider game.

2. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I'm up in the OC today and NFLN is showing top 10 countdowns, not the saints/texans - so annoying! Only game I can watch tonight is the Raiders/49ers with the Raiders homer broadcast crew... :sick: At least they're losing...

3. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    It's a fun game. Texans look tough.

4. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    With Wade at DC things could really be looking up for them. Finally the game is on, looks like Texans just picked off Saints - I know it's scrubs but maybe they can find themselves some decent secondary talent this year. They sure need it.

5. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Ben Tate is TEARING IT UP for Houston: 9 carries, 95 yards & 1 TD in the first half.

6. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings:
    +34
    Hope Matilack takes notes. Ben Tate and Terrence Cody >>>>>>>>>>>> Ryan Mathews.. Watch what Cody does this year too..

• Like Like x 1
  7. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    LOL Yeah I'll continue to keep an eye on your pre-season superstars. And when Mathews gets the ball again you can watch him go for 120 and 3TDs again.....or has that escaped your selective memory? :whistling:

It hasn't escaped mine, knowing Tolbert was out I started Mathews over Adrian Peterson that week and it won me my fantasy football championship.:abq2:

8. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    The game against DENVER when they had checked out? It's quite fresh..

Hope he continues that, but I'll still stand by my Tate/Cody>>>>Mathews all day. In todays NFL, a PRETTY good RB is plenty. LT was washed up, done. AJ didn't know what he had in Tolbert and panicked.

On a side note, I saw an interview with Mikey T and they were asking about Dallas etc. They had asked what he had planned for the evening..his response: "Phillip, Hester, Volek, and myself will get together in one of our rooms and study film"... Again, just like the whole coming into camp outta shape thing..I dont get it.

I HOPE RM proves me wrong, but between injury/fumbling and now, other concerns...he isn't where my money would be.

9. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    1. Its no less legitimate than week 2 of the pre-season pal;).....and its not like the Chargers had much to play for either, in fact we damn near blew it.

2. As it turns out we don't need Terrance Cody either, and AJ knew it. He can't stay on the field during passing downs like Garay can.

Thats fine though, nobody here is asking for your approval on Ryan Mathews. Its a wait and see what happens situation right now.

10. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Did anybody know what they had in Tolbert? I sure as hell didn't. He was a fullback converted to running back for crying out loud. We found that out by accident, remember?

And wait, Terrance Cody? That fat ************ that took some 60% of plays off? That Terrance Cody? Safe bet picking him. :whistling:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    Denver had one of the worst D's in the NFL on top of ALL that. When he does it when it means something i'll give him some credit.

We do need Cody. Cam Thomas is NOT capable of being a true nose, Garay is 31 and if he was to go down we'd be in a world of hurt.

Amen, my 'approval' shouldn't mean anything. I am simply giving my opinion. I HOPE he proves me wrong, i'd be happy to eat crow. Trust me.

12. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    Dude you are all mixed up.

FIrst off yes, I knew Tolbert could carry the rock. There were plenty of games in '09 that showed his talent, the Redskin game at the end of the year should have sealed the deal.

Cody has NEVER had a motor problem. What happened was, dudes saw his weigh in photos and were appalled, they instantly starting saying he was a fat slob and couldn't play in the NFL. Again, after a year under Kelly Gregg and Pagano, you watch and see how nasty that kid is inside for the Ravens.

13. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    HAHAHAHA no ****! LOL Hold the phone, Chargerfn909 knew Mike Tolbert could carry the load, why the hell isn't he the Chargers GM! hahahaha Dude Tolbert is a limited player, I love the guy and how he plows over MOFOs, but he does a piss poor job of breaking tackles in the backfield, and he doesn't have nearly the 2nd gear that Mathews has.

Cody has work ethic issues and weight issues galore. If he didn't he would have been a top 10 draft pick.

14. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Fair enough.

You don't know that yet.

Damn right.

15. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    Yes, I saw he was capable of running the ball. One day grasshoppa, you too will be able to spot talent.

THis just came from the guy defending RM when he failed his conditioning test? Child please

16. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    And Ryan Mathews isn't?

Come on dude, I realize this is just the highlight reel, but the talent is right there in your face. He avoids penetration in the backfield, and turns a 3yd loss into a 10yd gain in the way LT used to. And keep in mind he got the high ankle sprain in week 2, so most of these highlights are him at 80-90%.

Again I love Tolbert, but given the small sample your guess on him was more LUCK than GOOD......and AJ Smith would obviously agree as he gave up a lot to get RM.

17. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp Jesus gives wisdom if you pray for it! Banned

Ratings:
    +4
    Draw to sproles vs the Raiders worked 1x. It was such a bad call that the Raiders didn't expect it. Raiders a bad team then.

18. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    So this thread makes me wonder...

Do people dislike the player, or the fact that certain other fans like the player?

I know in the great Brees v. Rivers wars, I truly let my angst get to the point that I hated on Rivers simply because of the people who were hating on Brees, and arguing.

I ponder as to the application of that natural forum interaction/reaction in this case....

Oh well. I hope Ryan dispels all doubts this season, will be very disappointed if he does not, because he has shown he has the ability.

19. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I have no idea Conc. I don't really hate on any players on our team except Jerome Clary and sometimes Stephen Cooper, but it has nothing to do with other people liking them.

Just a guess, I think 909 is more dissapointed about what we gave up to get Mathews than anything else, its a contrast in how he and I would value a draft pick.

20. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    Bingo. Look at the last... 5 years (just because I do not wanna go back too far) SB winners and look at who their RB's were and where they were drafted..

'11 Packers- Starks, 7th round

'10 Saints- Pierre Thomas UDFA, and Bush, who was a fist rounder but I think we can all agree that Pierre got the bulk of the carries and was more important at that given time

'09 Steelers- If my memory serves me correctly, it was Willie Parker and Mwelde Moore another UDFA and Moore, a 4th rounder..

'08 Giants- Brandon Jacobs, 4th rounder

'07 Colts- Addai, he was a 1st rounder but again, realistically he had LITTLE to do with that team's success..

NOW looking at the above, what CAN we agree on? Other than the Colts in '07, every one of those teams had a DOMINANT defense. My point being, in todays day and age you can get along with a solid 3rd-4th round RB, but what's most important is a shut down D, or a D that can cause turnovers. Our O is set, as long as we have 17 under center and healthy we will cruise.

This is a big reason why I was so high on THIS years draft. It seems AJ finally figured out what's lacking and thats some mean nasty dudes on D.

21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    hey 909, I would agree with you if you said Dan Williams instead of the fat pig Cody. Dan Williams and Tate would have been better than Matthews

22. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Your points are good, and mostly fair although you avoided a few things but I don't want to get picky. The point is all those teams eventually had to rely on their running game late in the season....correct?

Just my opinion....the Chargers have been a team 1 or 2 players away from being in the Super Bowl, and I don't really care how AJ fixes the problems we have just as long as they get fixed. Running was a MAJOR problem in 2009, and it bit us in the *** against the Jets when they blitzed the sh*t out of PR. We didn't know what we had in Tolbert, we knew Sproles couldn't carry the load.

So when I see an extremely productive 6'0 220lb RB who can run in the low 4.4s...who played in a pro style scheme with below average blockers...with absolutely no character issues to speak of...and only minor injury issues.... I have no problem with going up to get him and patching what is easily the biggest weakness we have. I understand the quantity over quality argument when your building a team from the ground up, but this is not the Chargers situation.

And just incase you didn't notice we were 1ST in offense and defense last year. Injuries and special teams are all that seperated us from 12-4 or better, and thats stuff you really couldn't have guessed would happen.

23. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Dan Williams? http://www.azcentral.com/sports/art...ona-cardinals-dan-williams-weight-issues.html

That article was written 3 days ago.

My problem with Tate has always been that he's a big back who avoids contact, he's Cedric Benson. No doubt he'll have a few big games in his carrer, but what seperates he and Mathews is Mathews balance after contact, and ability to break tackles. I'm aslo skeptical about any RB coming from a spread scheme, cuz you just don't see too much of that in the NFL.

24. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    Brotha, did you know Dan Williams almost didn't play at ALL last year because he was out of shape? Then came into camp this year out of shape again and is struggling to even fit into the rotation of a pretty crappy d line outside of Dockett?

You'll see what Cody can do this year. That photo of him is what got everyone going against him..

25. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    Tomatoes, Tomatoes... Everyone has their opinions..

On paper, yea we were #1 on D, but in all reality you and I both know that was not the most dominant D in the league. When it was crunch time we often times gave up what we couldnt afford and IMO didn't cause nearly enough take aways.

Oh, yes our ST is singly handedly what made us miss the playoffs last year..without any question.

26. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    So your complaining about take aways (which I agree with completely), and yet you say you would have drafted Cody and Tate? How would they have helped? We had just spend 1sts on Cason and English so you can't really justify going that route, and there were no safties worth a 1st at that point. I was a HUGE fan of TJ Ward but his stock was that of a late 2nd rounder.

So look at the big picture....why not go up and try to fix our biggest issue with the most NFL ready back in that draft?

Thats all I'm saying, I understand the dismay of giving away draft picks for a RB, but I would have done the same thing given the situation.

27. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Dude, he was 7 pounds over what he weighed in at the combine. I wouldn't really call that a weight issue.

Matthews problem is that he has NEVER played a full season, and was never worth a 1st and 2nd round pick. All things even, I would rather have Matthews, but not for what he cost.

28. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    You are talking about out of shape and defending Cody? really? Williams currently weighs only 7 pound over what he did at the combine, a whole 2.1%.

29. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    Weight doesnt mean everything man.. If that was the case then 345lb Ngata would be considered 'out of shape'.. When they say out of shape, they mean they are huffin' and puffin' just getting in and out of their 3 point stance.

30. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    you are right, weight is not the whole thing. The point is, he is a better player, and in better shape that that fat pig cody will ever be.