1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Dielman and Turner Article

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    By Kevin Acee

February 21, 2007

Kris Dielman

Dielman, who will be unrestricted, is moving toward testing the free-agent market beginning at 9 p.m. PST on March 1. His agent and the team have not held meaningful talks since December.
    Smith and Dielman spoke briefly on Monday, as players showed up at Chargers Park to meet with new coach Norv Turner.
    “He wants to be here,” Smith said. “We're working on it. It's business.”
    Smith termed the Chargers' offer fair but said he thinks Dielman will make visits to other teams.

Michael Turner

The question of what happens to Michael Turner, a restricted free agent, is further from resolution. Soon, Smith will put a tender on the backup running back and see what other teams do.
    Turner is destined to spend no more than 2007 with the Chargers, as the team will allow him to go be a No. 1 back somewhere.
    Smith's tender to Turner (a first or a first-and-third) will reveal whether he plans to get something in return for Turner this offseason. If he puts the first-round tender on him, he will essentially be inviting teams to give him a first-round pick. If he puts the first-and-third on Turner, he will be saying he wants to keep him one more season.

Coaches

Norv Turner reiterated yesterday he intends to keep all the assistant coaches under contract. He met with them collectively but not individually, and some are unsure about their status.
    Asked if he would let defensive backs coach Brian Stewart and/or assistant linebackers coach John Pagano go to Dallas for promotions under new head coach Wade Phillips, Turner said, “As of today, no.”
    Turner did let go strength and conditioning coach Dave Redding and coaching administrator John Wuehrmann. Both were Marty Schottenheimer hires.

Court update

Tight end Ryan Krause pleaded not guilty yesterday to misdemeanor charges of drunken driving and having an open container of alcohol in his vehicle. The charges stem from Krause's arrest in Pacific Beach on Jan. 6. His next court appearance is scheduled for March.
    Safety Terrence Kiel also is scheduled for a March court appearance after recently pleading not guilty to a misdemeanor charge of public urination in the Gaslamp Quarter, stemming from an incident in December.
    They are among three Chargers with cases still working through the courts, the other being the drunken driving charges against Foley, who was shot in that incident in September by an off-duty police officer. Foley, who has pleaded not guilty to those charges, also has filed a civil suit seeking damages against the officer. Since April, six Chargers have had run-ins with the law.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20070221-9999-1s21chnotes.html

2. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Are we going to lose Dielman and Turner or what :icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  3. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Listened to the AJ interview on Too Much Show (which apparently happened yesterday but was posted in the archive today) .. AJ did say that he really wants to keep Dielman and it sounds like a priority. To me, it sounded like he implied that Dielman was probably going to test the waters on March 1st. Personally, I do hope that something is pounded out, but while he was trying to be positive, it just didn't seem like it was going that route.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RayDahayder

RayDahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    I know it's all about making the cash, but at some point, don't you want to play for a championship team? Is it so much about the money that some guys aren't happy with 3 or 4 million dollars a year and the chance to play for a great team?

If Dielweed wants to just go chase the biggest dollars out there, then we don't need that type. At some point, you want a guy who has the team and his own personal goals in mind. It's not like AJ is probably offering a low-ball contract. The guy is fair.

I could live the rest of my life on what these guys make in a year. I don't understand it. Either you want to be part of something big or you don't.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    Lil Adam on NFLNet was talking as if Dielman is going to get the same jack as Hutch did last year and may even exceed it! Specifically said Seattle would be a major player.

Dielman has not even made a probowl and teams are going to be throwing 49Mil+ total deal and 16Mil+ guaranteed? :icon_wtf:

• Like Like x 1
  6. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    :yes: that's what it's come to. If Dielman goes, AJ is gonna go OL with the first pick.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Well I'm sure Dielman isn't blind deft, I'm sure he hears about his potential earnings from media sources. I mean I know as fans we want players to be loyal but it's not like teams are loyal back, as soon as a player isn't useful anymore they're let go costing them millions so I can't really blame a player in his prime trying to cash in when this will be his best shot to do so.

Odds are once he hits the FA market he isn't coming back.

He's either going to get the big money that he wants or thought he could get or realize his value isn't as high as he thought and considers signing with the Chargers.

But he'll probably get overpaid, but Steinbach being available as well may lower Dielman's value a bit.

8. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    Here are the FA OG Pickin's so far:

Eric Steinbach UFA 4 6-6/297 Cincinnati
    Mike Gandy UFA 6 6-4/304 Buffalo
    Kris Dielman UFA 4 6-3/312 San Diego
    Cooper Carlisle UFA 6 6-5/295 Denver
    Floyd Womack UFA 6 6-4/330 Seattle
    Montrae Holland UFA 4 6-2/322 New Orleans

Going to be interesting to see how much Dielman really gets. For all the hype circulating around him he was standing between a ProBowl OT and a ProBowl C, plus he had the best RB in the game running behind him.

He is a good guard, but he is getting a bit too much hype.

9. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    As long as he doesn't go to the Raiders...

10. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=320 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=bg4>Feb. 26, 2007

[​IMG]

</TD></TR><TR><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD>
    The Chargers and OG Kris Dielman were believed to have been only about $1 million apart per year late last summer, but after another strong showing and his first Pro Bowl bid last season, the two sides are much further apart now. And with teams having significantly more money to spend under the increased salary cap, the chances of a team paying him more than what San Diego is willing to spend are quite likely. Under general manager A.J. Smith, the Chargers have historically been quite successful at locking up their own young stars to long-term extensions. They were able to keep OLB Shaun Phillips from hitting the restricted free-agent market (where he would have had plenty of suitors), signing him to a six-year deal in February, but the two ILB positions will see changes in ’07. Donnie Edwards, the team’s leading tackler, won’t be back, and Randall Godfrey is talking to the team about returning after previously contemplating retirement. Even if Godfrey does play in San Diego for another year, he’ll do so in a limited role, as the explosive Stephen Cooper and heady Matt Wilhelm are waiting in the wings at the ILB spots.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

11. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I bet the Chargers were offering something around $3-3.5 mil a year before the season and Dielman was looking for $4-4.5 mil a year. $4 mil would of been a lot for a guy who didn't even have a good season yet.