1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Dielman OUT for KC Game

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Sydalish, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,805
  2. Nomadic Bolt Fan

Nomadic Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Ut oh, hope is gonna be ok. Any other info?

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    [​IMG]

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

4. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,805
    I sent a tweet to Marty to see if she knew any more. I'll post it if I hear anything (from her or otherwise)

5. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,805
    From VJ and M80's facebook - this is an update from "M80" likely his agent or whomever runs the page.

6. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,805

7. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,580
    Ugh. Green isn't that great. :(

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    He seems to be ok considering he's up about and was attending but not participating in practice. Probably more precautionary then anything else

And agreed about Green, I'd rather Mrzucowski as I've said repeatedly

9. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,805
    Mooch is dinged up too :(

10. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    One week after a bye, we're a M*A*S*H unit again....... :confused: :eek: :cry:

11. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Is Schilling a LG or LT? I wouldn't mind seeing him..

Obviously a BIG loss but I'm not too worried.. We'll be okay..

Thoughts and prayers are with Dielman for a speedy recovery!

12. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    I believe Schilling is a Guard. We'll be okay with Greene (sp), yeah, he's not that great, but he's not that bad either.

13. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Report: Kris Dielman had seizure on plane after concussion
    Posted by Mike Florio on October 27, 2011, 10:14 PM EDT

Chargers offensive lineman Kris Dielmansuffered a concussion during Sunday’s game against the Jets. More troubling is the fact that, on the flight home from New York, Dielman reportedly suffered a seizure, arising from the concussion.

Even more troubling is that the injury occurred in the fourth quarter of the game, but Dielman continued to play. (Have we mentioned that the NFL doesn’t have independent neurologists on the sidelines at games?)

The Associated Press reports that an ambulance met the plane when it arrived in San Diego, and that Dielman was hospitalized overnight. Dielman wouldn’t comment on the matter, other than to say he won’t be playing on Monday night against the Chiefs.

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that Dielman will miss at least two games following the concussion and seizure, which per Acee was “violent” and “scary.”

Here’s hoping that the NFL decides in the wake of this incident to implement meaningful procedures aimed at spotting concussions and getting players who have suffered concussions out of games — and that every lower level of the sport eventually will follow suit. Anyone who has been paying any attention to high school football lately knows that the culture has not yet changed, and that as a result players are staying in games when they simply shouldn’t be.

It’s time for the NFL to provide real leadership on this issue, not lip service aimed at placating Congress and/or CYA memos intended to satisfy the lawyers.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,805
    Hearing rumblings that team trainer(s) are witholding info keeping Dielman from getting a second opinion. IF true - those trainers should be GONE. We're talking about someone's life here, this goes beyond football and a paycheck.

15. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Frankly, I'm amazed that the team doctor is still employed...... that guy has a ton of shady stuff on his resume.

• Like Like x 1
  16. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    True. I wouldn't let that guy diagnose my in-laws.
    But Dielman said he was okay, stood up, didn't even look at the sidelines, and kept going.
    I doubt any doctor in the NFL would have called him off at that point.

17. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Rule #1: Never rely on the player's word..... tough guys never want to come out of the game.

On TV, it clearly looked like Dielman was dazed for a bit. The doctors have to err on the side of caution, and remove the player long enough to evaluate them.

18. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    They didn't get to talk to him. He didn't even look their way.
    Also, we see a lot more on TV than the doctors do.

Now, the Chargers guys watching the TV could have radioed down to the training staff, but that's not on the training staff. Their depth was limited, and no coaches were going to call the trainers over and say 'take a look at Dielman'....

19. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    They may have to in the future.

The helmet technology needs to be upgraded...... there are some better solutions out there, but the NFL is slow to adopt them.

20. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    It'll slow down the game until they work out the technology, and that's a long way from happening.
    These guys know they're risking their health.
    More fireman die/yr than football players and they're doing something useful while getting paid far less.

All that said, they SHOULD probably err on the side of caution. And up the active roster # to 70. But the owners don't want that...

21. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Man, I hope he is ok. Screw football, screw all of it, Dielman is a cool guy and I hate to see a guy like that get his brains scrambled for a game. I hope he takes as long as he needs, get as many opinions as he needs, ect. Just keep him the hell away from the field until he is right.

It was obvious when he got knocked out on the field Sun, but what really blows my mind is this: How in the hell can all of us airchair QBs see this plain as day on our couches and the coaching staff, 10-15 yards aways from the guy, cannot? Unreal.

Fire everyone immediately.

22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Take it easy & get yourself well, Kris.

There IS life outside of football.

23. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60
    thoughts are with the big man, hope he is okay

24. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Wow... sometimes you wonder if the medical staff have the interests of the person at heart at all.

25. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Bought & paid for by the greedy, just like many facets of our society.

26. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +345
    Scary seizure on the plane. Hope nothing serious, and speedy recovery. This will be a big loss on the O-line.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    This is a great shame, not only for the loss on the field that we'll feel, but a horrible thing for him and his family to go through. Hope he gets well soon!

28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I saw the play where he got up wobbling and told the other linemen he was OK. I felt the Coaches should have pulled him out right away.

29. Rule12b

Rule12b Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +116
    When a tough hombre like Dielman says he's ok, there's only so much you can do. This isn't paddycakes they are playing. I hope he's alright. Thinking about a 340 lb. manmoth like him having a violent seizure in such a confined space must have been a singularly frightening experience.

30. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    No it is not pattycakes. It is the NFL, and there is an increased focus on concussions and the long term effects there of.