1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Dielman told Greg Manusky to go EFF himself

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Trumpet_Man, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20080102-9999-1s2chargers.html

Cantankerous Dielman good to the last pop

By Kevin Acee
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

January 2, 2008

Kris Dielman knows the play is pretty much finished, not to mention that the ball is some 40 yards away across and down the field. But it's legal, so he gets in one last hard shove on an unsuspecting defensive lineman.
    “He finishes right up through the whistle,” observed offensive line coach Hal Hunter. “He goes all the way through the whistle.”

When did the above play happen? Pick a game, pick a play.

K.C. ALFRED / Union-Tribune

Kris Dielman, who anchors the Chargers' offensive line, delights in his hard-nosed style.
    Watching the Chargers' coaches tape week after week, there is a treat at the end of every offensive play. There – sometimes in the middle, often in the corner of the screen – is Dielman clocking an opposing player.
    “He's always doing something,” center Nick Hardwick said. “He's always going to get the last little something, the last shove, last push. He can't let anyone think he's got an edge.”

Most often, if there is no one to hit, Dielman will find someone.

On one play, he's downfield 30 yards, trailing LaDainian Tomlinson by 10 yards at play's end. His head is moving side to side. Where is there someone to level? On another play, Tomlinson cuts back, away from Dielman, who hits a defender to slow him, then falls on him none-too-softly and stays there until the whistle blows, maybe a second longer.

It's not that such plays are unique among the men who play the game's most physical position, but the gusto with which Dielman pops people is unusual, the zeal with which he looks for contact is almost unmatched.

It was three years ago that veteran left tackle Roman Oben told Dielman, who at the time was just a year into being an offensive lineman: “If you play the way you practice, if you approach every play the way you do right now, in two years you'll be the best guard in the league. Nobody plays football like you do.”

Two training camps ago, then-linebackers coach Greg Manusky told Dielman to take it easy in practice. He was hurting too many people. Dielman told Manusky to, um, do something to himself. :lol::abq2: (insert: and this is who our own MTL wanted as D-Coordinator :lol:)

Hey, it works.

Through a 2007 season in which the offensive line was maligned, Kris Dielman was the Chargers' most consistent tough guy. The way he plays, many teammates say, permeates the entire team.

He was without a doubt the Chargers' most consistent offensive lineman this season, as Mike Goff played more hurt than people knew, Hardwick missed four starts with a sprained foot, Marcus McNeill adjusted slowly to life as a Pro Bowler and Shane Olivea was replaced in November.

It has often been recounted how Dielman was an undrafted defensive lineman in 2003, was switched by the Chargers to offensive line and by early in the 2005 season was starting. After a 2006 season in which he undoubtedly deserved a Pro Bowl bid, he signed a new contract with the Chargers that made him the fourth-highest-paid guard in the NFL, at an average of $6.5 million a year.

The big money changed nothing on the field. Dielman is more ornery than ever.

“He's still got that I'm-not-good-enough-to-make-the-team mentality,” Hardwick said. “He holds grudges, and he's bitter.”

When Dielman was voted to the AFC Pro Bowl team last month, fullback Lorenzo Neal recalled asking him if he was surprised.

“You know, I wanted to go, but all the guys are always yelling at me and cussing at me out on the field,” Dielman replied. “They probably don't like me.”

Neal told him, “That's why they're doing it, because most of the time you're beating their butt. They respect that.”

Well, sort of.

“I think he was above average, but all he did was try and hold me down – just nonsense, that stuff,” said Albert Haynesworth, the Tennessee Titans' Pro Bowl defensive tackle, who faced Dielman last month and will again Sunday in the wild-card playoff game at Qualcomm Stadium. “I mean, he didn't really block me one on one. The only thing he did – and it made me mad – was try and hold me down, thinking he did something when he didn't.”

Haynesworth said of the Pro Bowl, “We voted him as an alternate. Maybe if he cut out all that dumb stuff . . . But as far as we go, we thought he played pretty good and we voted him as an alternate, first alternate actually.”

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

“I don't care if that's what he wants to say,” Dielman said when told of Haynesworth's comments.

For his part, Dielman said Haynesworth was his most difficult adversary this season. Against Haynesworth and end Kyle Vanden Bosch, also a Pro Bowler, the Chargers' offensive line struggled for three quarters at Tennessee before wearing the pair down and figuring out their stunts.

Certainly, the opinion of Dielman depends on one's point of view.

“I'd hate him if I didn't know him,” Chargers linebacker Stephen Cooper said. “He goes past the whistle. He's not a dirty player. He just goes hard every play. He doesn't give up. That's why you have to take your hat off to him and respect him.”

• Like Like x 1
  2. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    :fan:

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Maybe this Sunday Kris should try a head stomp on Fat Al, since he wasn't impressed last time? :icon_shrug: :icon_twisted:

4. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    that was a fun read T, thanx... brings back the "old school" days... we need another Dielman on the other side...

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Thanks Haynesworth, just keep pissing Dielman off and see what happens

• Like Like x 1
  6. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    What we need is a payback crack-back on van-cheaten-bosch(throwing LTs leg out trying to pull his hammy...fuking dirt bag).

Send Manu in motion and ring him up like they did to Merriman.

7. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I started a thread early in the season asking the question: "Who controls the locker room?" I asked it based on what I heard from Darren Woodson who said that during the Cowboys' reign at the top, the O-lineman were in control of their locker room.

I think it's evident that the Chargers O-line is now taking control both on and off the field. Slowly but surely, these guys have taken it upon themselves to be team leaders. It's no coincidence that the ship is no longer sinking.