1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

DIELMAN WILL NOT CROSS THE LINE

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Trumpet_Man, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp...umn?coll=la-headlines-sports&track=crosspromo

Dielman won’t cross the line, not even for $49 million
    Chargers guard came close to leaving for Seattle as a free agent.

Bill Dwyre

8:55 PM PDT, August 24, 2007

SAN DIEGO -- In the category of tough West Coast departures, Tony Bennett has nothing on Kris Dielman. Bennett left only his heart in San Francisco. Dielman left $10 million in Seattle.

Dielman is No. 68 in the San Diego Chargers' program, and fast approaching No. 1 in the fans' hearts.

It's not that LT doesn't dominate the affection of San Diego's pro football fans. Hard to top LaDainian Tomlinson's NFL record 31 touchdowns last season.

But it's also hard not to love a player who actually declined to take the money and run. As a matter of fact, Dielman left the money and flew.

It was March 2, and Dielman, a 310-pounder coming into his own as one of the better offensive guards in the NFL, had been, in his own words, a free agent "for about 24 hours."

He had been an All-Big Ten tight end his junior year at Indiana, and an All-Big Ten defensive tackle his senior year. When he left IU, his statistics were unlike almost any other player in a Division I program: 62 tackles, and 26 pass receptions for 361 yards and five touchdowns.

That, and the non-legacy of football at Indiana, left him undrafted in 2003.

The Chargers signed him May 2, waived him Aug. 26 and signed him back on the practice squad seven days later. For a year, he was mostly a special teams player, but by 2005 he was the starting left guard. And by the end of 2006, he was an All-Pro choice of ESPN.com. That's not exactly consensus, but it was a hint at better things to come.

Which is exactly why the Seattle Seahawks sent their corporate jet to San Diego on March 1 to pick up Dielman and fly him north to sign a six-year, $49-million contract.

"I'd never been on a plane like that," he says. "There were two of their O-line coaches on the plane and it was real nice. But, at the same time, it didn't feel right."

He met other Seahawks, including quarterback Matt Hasselbeck, who he would be signing on to protect.

"Nice people," Dielman says.

The signing was to take place the next morning at 9. All Dielman had to do was walk downstairs to his hotel lobby, scribble his name, and his future would be assured.

Not bad for a guy who hadn't even been drafted. And not bad for a guy who had grown up in the South Bend, Ind., suburb of Mishawaka and was such a huge Notre Dame fan that he was crushed when then-coach Bob Davie told him that, at 220 pounds, he was too small to play tight end for the Irish.

"Except if they play Indiana," Dielman says, "I still root for Notre Dame against everybody else."

Dielman's trip to the lobby didn't go exactly as planned, though. The night before, and that morning, Chargers teammates had jumped into the middle of things and the phone lines buzzed.

"Guys like Lorenzo [Neal] and Scott [Mruczkowski] had pulled some strings," Dielman says. Neal is a 15-year veteran fullback; Mruczkowski a three-year player and fellow offensive lineman.

At 8:55, five minutes before Dielman was to walk down to the lobby and meet happily awaiting Seahawks officials, Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith reached a deal with Dielman's agent and Dielman went to the lobby with a different message. He was staying with the Chargers, not signing the Seahawks' deal.

"It was a little tough," Dielman says. "They weren't happy. There were some words exchanged."

And so, as quickly as possible, Dielman left. He had agreed to a Chargers offer that would bring him $6.5 million a year for six years, or about $39 million.

Clearly, there would be no Seahawks corporate jet ferrying him back home.

"I wanted out of there as fast as I could, and the only thing I could get was a last-minute seat on Alaska Airlines," Dielman says. "But when I got on the plane and sat down, I knew I had done the right thing."

His seat number was 21A, and the omen was obvious. Tomlinson's number is 21.

Dielman is 26, single, has a home with a spectacular view in Pacific Beach -- "It's no big deal, just 1,500 square feet," he says -- and loves that his team is recognized as a dominating run-left team, behind him and tackle Marcus McNeill.

"There's nothing like when we get a good run-drive going," he says. "You can feel it, the rhythm, the three-four-five-10-12 yards, one play after another."

That is certainly music to the ears of Norv Turner. The new coach was signed on Feb. 19, and just 12 days later was at a news conference, taking pats on the back for keeping Dielman.

"We barely had met," Turner says, "and I was getting credit for this. I started telling people criticizing us for not doing enough on the free-agent market that we had landed the biggest free agent of all, Kris Dielman."

Dielman has no regrets about the lost money.

"I came here as a walk-on," he says, "and look at the chances they've given me."

A couple of All-Pro seasons and he can get his own corporate jet.

But probably not from Boeing.

2. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Dielman = 100% class.

What great character we have in our locker room.

3. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Kris will stay in my Boltsheart.
    He'll have a fine season with LT running from behind.

4. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    That's my boi!!! Gotta have a nasty attitude in the trenches, and Dirty has this in spades. He makes that OL tick. And play ticked off.

5. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Man, what a refreshing deviation from DBo, Marsha, Stephanie, Ball...hangin with the Chargers cuz he wantsta be with the best!! :yes: :tup: :icon_toast:

6. Prito James

Prito James BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    He really sets the attidude of our line. I really think having the firery Dielman next to him helped motivate McNiel. The left side our line is sweat!:abq2: :abq1:

7. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Pure Class! A football players football player:abq2:

8. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Kris Dielman + Marcus McNeill + 50 Power = 28 rushing TDs in a single season.

Basic mathematics.

9. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Going by AJs track record of getting his players signed long term, I used to think he was all about the money and was just waiting for FA to take the best contract available.

After what he did this year, i have a whole new level of respect for Dielman. He went from being another player, to one of my favorite players in the league
    That right there shows the true character of the man!

10. IgorUnchained

IgorUnchained BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10

Amen.

That is also a reminder who excuse the players and front office types for acting like jerks by saying "football is a business".

True, but that doesnt mean everyone has to sell themselves and their teams out for the almighty dollar. Kris Dielman walks it like he talks it. Go #68!

11. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    What Dielman did, while noble, certainly did not set any earthshaking precedents.

The Patriots and their GM guru Scott Pioli have had a long standing policy of low ball signing their players for the good of the team and look what it coincidentially produced in an era of free agency.

A.J. has modeled his formula after what the Patriots were doing during their run of Super Bowls but has added long term core stability with prudent contractural signings at a time when we were way fat in the salary cap the last few years.

Ed McGuire has to commended as well for his cap-o-nomics.

I would not be doing summer-saults and backflips to kiss Dielman's *** and I put it in a different perspective.

AJ's mojo is working much in the same way the Patriots players bought into the formula. Dielman did the exact same thing.

12. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Imagine the right side of our line looking like our left side.

There is no way in hell we do not win the Super Bowl for years to come and convincingly with that set up. This mean bye bye to the entire right side.............

13. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195

I eagerly want at least the Lombardi of 2007/8.
    Late things come late.

14. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    That was a great story man. I will admit to all of you I shed a tear reading the part where he got seat 21A. It's a sign guys. Our time is now! I love the "Deal" man!:crying:

15. IgorUnchained

IgorUnchained BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10

Taking less money to stay on a winning team is nothing new...you are right about that. The Seahawks arent as good as the Chargers (in my biased point of view, and many others unbiased points of view)....but they are around the top of the NFC and that is an excellent O line up there!

Even after seeing the way the FO has treated veterans in years past, Kris showed who cares about winning the most...and in doing so, demonstrated loyalty to a team, that a team (Packers notwithstanding) would NEVER give to a player. Good on Dielman! Like I said, staying with a good team for less money isnt unprecedented.....but Dielman left 10 MIL on the table. Name a short list of players (esp a walk on with a crappy contract) who ever turned down 10 mil more on a contract to go to a team that was in the Super Bowl 2 seasons prior!

As for AJ EVER following "The Pats Plan".....that is something akin to a Fox News talking point.
    AJ said it....it gets repeated....and people believe it.

Pioli NEVER shyed away from signing Free Agents. Pioli brought in more CHARGERS than AJ did FAs in general in the past few years.
    This last Pats offseason was a bit of a fluke, but it was a conscious move that showed you CANT keep up that kind of managing forever. The Pats drafted Meriweather when everyone in Chargerland was biting a pillow and wondering about his character. The Pats took Randy Moss without wondering whether their dainty little lockerroom could handle his very presence.
    Pioli brought the WINNING before he brought the hard assed attitude. Brady has taken pay cuts in at least 3 occasions to accomodate cap room for other players.....he is a loyal player as well. There were alot of things that wouldnt have been possible if Brady wasnt willing to sacrifice too.

Pioli signed C Dillon, Rodney Harrison, Junior Seau, Chad Brown, Reche Caldwell, A Thomas, D Stallworth, W Welker, and Vinny Testaverde...to name a few.
    There are so many reasons why Aj wouldnt sign any of those guys, and you all know em by heart. Too old, too expensive, better guys on the roster, whatever his reason was for not signing Junior to SOMETHING.
    You cant say that Pioli doesnt spend too much for FAs....you cant say he doesnt take risks on character guys....you cant say that Pioli is in a blood feud with his own coaching staff.

You are right that he lowballs his own roster and he isnt afraid to get rid of the playmakers that got him to where he has been (see Vinitieri)......that is the only way that AJ and Pioli resemble each other.

"The Patriot's Plan" is an excuse for doing something unpopular....but it never works the other way, and hasnt won us a playoff game any more than Martyball ever did.

To use a Trumpyism...."Scoreboard"....06 Playoffs.

16. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    dielman definitely has class. it shows where his priorities are -- family over cash. yes, family.

17. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Words were exchanged? :lol: WTF could these guys say to him? I wouldn't say chiat to this crazy mother******......:lol: :bolt:

FU Seattle and get the fuc out there and hit somebody Kris!! :yes: :abq2:

18. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I bet the coaches who flew with him said **** like "what do we tell our boss?"
    Kris replies, "tell him to go phuc himself I'm outta here" :lol:

19. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    He's a throwback .. it isn't often these days you get a guy who feels a responsibility for where they are at ..

20. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Whose to say that Holmgren wasn't one of those fellas that Dirty told to stick it .. ;)

21. o-line protagonist

o-line protagonist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    Mark this down.

There is nothing wrong with the right side of our line. They had every bit to do with last year being a success, as they will this year.
    Frankly, I am sick and tired of the notion that the left side of the line is so much better than the right. That is simply not true.

This line is great due to the sum of ALL its parts, not just some of them. It should not go un-noticed that this is the first year that this line has had the same coaches, in consecutive years, coaching the same players at their positions. In the discipline of cohesiveness and gelling, this fact cannot be stated more prominently.
    In four years, there have been 3 different O-line coaches(four if you include Hunter). I would say that the line has done a pretty darn good job handling themselves through adversity.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Shane Olivea is going to get Philip Rivers IR'd. He already cost Rivers his foot last year and I do not want to see our QB go down because of a stubby armed slow footed 7th round feel good story who is a backup on any other team.

Can we win the Super Bowl with this line? Yes.

Does this mean there is no room for improvement? Of course not.

23. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The Shane Olivea lovers of the universe should all unite at Torrey Pines Cliffs - and then jump off. :yes: :abq2:

24. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Olivea has pursued a conditioning problem similar to Merriman's in the off season that included boxing and foot speed drills, so maybe it's paying off. He says he has a stronger initial punch and more stamina later in the game. It appears that we don't have anyone better than him on the roster at the moment. We'll find out for sure in Chi Town.

25. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I have never bought into speed being taught. You either have it or you do not.

The foot drills may make him more efficient such as what we have seen with Rivers but speed? That would take the hand of god.

26. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    i agree, you can become more coordinated, and have more body control, but i dont think you can genuinely become faster.

27. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I'm not speaking of straight ahead speed, more like the quickness of shifting your feet for balance, like you say. It's like learning dance steps. He won't get any faster in the 20 or 40 times, but he'll be able to shift his weight quicker without sacrificing balance and his timing will be better. It comes down to being able to implement techniques more quickly rather than sprinting. Quicker foot work keeps you centered on your man and on balance. It's a big help if you don't have McNeil's wing span. He's also in better condition than last year. It appears he's gonna be the guy, and he's doing the right things to improve. He's practising against Phillips and Merriman and Castillo, so we'll see how much that helps.

28. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I do feel a whole lot better seeing Manu's fatass over there helping Shane out. He needs it and any help he can get is a plus for this team.

29. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    Easiest Maths we'll ever do