1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Dielman's gritty effort propelling Chargers-

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BFISA, Dec 6, 2006.

1. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
  2. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
  3. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Why do you think AJ is waiting on this one? I would have thought Dielman before Olivea.

4. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    it helps to have this guy next to him...

[​IMG]

*still in the SI top 5 Rookie Watch.... pretty impressive...

5. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I don't think he's waiting. I just think Dielman's much more valuable than Olivea. The more money involved, the harder it is to come to terms. Dielman's agent is probably telling him not to sign a deal unless the Bolts blow him away. Dielman will get top 5 guard money of he hits the open market. He's physical, nasty, young and his technique is still improving.

6. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    This one is not a slam-dunk signing. I'm still not sure how committed AJ is to the O-Line. :no:

7. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I think that's BS. Every single OL we have has been acquired since AJ was here. He's used draft picks on Hardwick, Olivea, McNeill. He's given long term deals to Hardwick and Olivea. He signed Goff as a FA. He traded a draft pick to bring in Oben.

8. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    I don't know if AJ will pay top-dollar to retain Dielman. His level of commitment to the OL is in doubt. How is that BS? :icon_shrug:

9. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    He's paid big money to retain Hardwick and Olivea. He used a high pick on a LT. He extended Oben after trading to acquire him. He tried to bring LeCharles Bentley in during the offseason.

Just because Dielman and the Bolts have not reached an agreement yet doesn't mean AJ won't. AJ's paid top dollar to extend a ton of players since he became GM.

AJ's not going to put us in cap hell by overpaying Dielman or anyone else. If Dielman wants to squeeze every last cent out of a team, he'll probably sign elsewhere because there are teams that will definitely overpay to get him.

10. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I don't think one has been offered, has it?? :icon_shrug: :icon_huh: :no:

11. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    I know, AJ probably isn't committed to the OL enough to "overpay". But I think Dielman is worth it in this case, and we have the cap space.

12. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    Well, Dielman will be a UFA at the end of the year, since he will have 4 or more accrued seasons. If we do not sign him to an extension, then I expect a TAG of some sort will be placed on him.

13. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Rip is not gonna like this... :no:

14. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    There in lies the problem with your approach. The reason we have the money to "overpay" is because we don't overpay. If we start overpaying players, then we will lack the cap space to retain our top talent in future seasons. It's a vicious cycle. In a few years, guys like Merriman and Castillo and Rivers will all be needing extensions. The only way we will have enough money to retain those guys is if we don't overpay players.

15. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    AJ very much wants to retain Dielman. UT, 11/29/06

16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    AJ wants to retain Dielman
    but unless Dielman doesn't go either online or read football mags, people are proclaiming him to be A. the best/second best guard in FA B. one of the best young OLs in the game today and C. an outstanding LG

If I'm his agent and I see all this, I wouldn't make a single deal with the Chargers until i field some offers in FA, someone would be willing to pay out big money for Dielman

17. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Im not worried

Dielman is going to overvalue himself to the point where he is going to price himself outside of san diego

18. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    I wonder how far apart they are in their numbers.

19. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86

There could be a pretty good argument we overpaid Hardwick (wasn't he paid like a top 5 center at the time of his extension) and Olivea.
    Looking at it that way, AJ has a tendancy to spend over market value on OL.