1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Dielman's replacement at LG has arrived.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Dublin Bolt, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +449
  2. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    He should've been doing this 2 seasons ago. I'll believe that he's a consistent, dedicated, productive player if I see him dominating his blocks during the season against defenders, instead of against trucks...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,383
    Hopefully, the fact that Green is in his contract year is just a happy coincidence. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Let's just hope the switch has flipped and it stays on.

4. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Exactly, never ceases to amaze me how many of these players of todays era dont work at getting themselves better and trying to replace a starter, rather than waiting for them to retire, as is the case here.

So what, he's just been going through the motions in his first 2 seasons because he never thought he was good enough to replace Dielman ?..............what about if he needed to be used on short notice if there had been a season-ending injury ?

Look, good on the kid for finally seeing the light, but I've seen a brazillion workout stars who were never able to replicate it in a real game situation, lets hope he doesn't fall into that category and can take over from where Dielman left off.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,089
    If he needs to be "switched on" simply because its his contract year, then I'd certainly have my doubts he's the man for the job for the longhaul.

I'd like to think he wants to be an NFL player for 10 years or more and would do whatever it takes to achieve that goal, if he took that attitude the money rolls in by the truckload anyway.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,666
    I will say that there was a noticeable improvement this past year filling in for dielman versus his play in 2009/2010 - the first two years he was absolutely pathetic as a fill in. Last year he really did lock down the left guard position and held it well. Based on his performance alone I'd say he's improved his craft, so while I think he's really taking it seriously now that he's pencilled in at starter (which is a good thing), I don't think he's screwed around over the last year

7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,777
    I reckon when one has a perennial all-pro in front of him there is no need for worry, however, it does bother me a bit that he waits until his contract year to get with the project. AJ may want to sit down with this kid and discuss his future and offer an extension to see where it may lead.

8. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,773
    Further reason to pass on Glenn.

9. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I think that depends on whether Vasquez is viewed as the long-term answer or not, as well as what else is on the board. You have to also consider that Glenn might be viewed as a RT prospect.

10. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Now if we can only read an article about Clary doing what it takes to better his performance...........just sayin';)

Also the fact that he is impressed with his overall self is a nice thing. I went from 260 to 195 and the difference I see in myself is amazing. I go to the gym every day and tell myself "I'm not going back to the fat kid I was" lets hope he shares the same mindset

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,383
    I don't think working hard has ever been Clary's problem. With Clary its more a case of a player having maximized his ability.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    It probably is hard to get motivated knowing that you will never become the starter. I was thinking the same thing about AJ.

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Exactly. Clary is a hard worker - that's just his mentality. And he has improved a LOT over the years via that hard work. He's just not a very good athlete. He's big but not particularly coordinated & his feet are SLOOOOOOWWWWWW.

14. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I question Clarys mental focus on when on the field.

15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,666
    I think it's like his work ethic - I think he tries hard and he tries to make it work, but much as with physical he just doesn't have the ability

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I don't even think it's a matter of focus. I think it's a case of being lined up across from guys who, in virtually every case, are better players than you are. Clary goes into every snap knowing he's going to lose, and just has to suck it up and try to avoid losing long enough for Rivers to get the ball off. Think about how different that is from the elite linemen who go into every snap knowing they're going to win their matchup.

17. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,773
    Cordy Glenn is a 2nd round talent. He's too fat for RT, and he doesn't have the upside of a DeCastro who is the only OG in years I would ever consider taking in the 1st....and even then I don't know that I'd do it at 18.

Sorry to the Glenn fans out there, just trying to bring it back to earth.

18. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I'm absolutely not a Glenn fan. However, I think you have to remember that our GM is a moron.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Is that was causes his false starts, knowing he's going to get beat so he tries to get the upper hand by engaging first?

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    That's the primary reason, yes. Clary has poor foot speed & very average reactions. He needs to get as big a jump as possible, i.e. false starts.