1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Dilfer: The Jets are a "matchup nightmare" for the Chargers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by IFiredCHart, Jan 9, 2010.

1. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Dilfer: The Jets are a "matchup nightmare" for the Chargers, Esiason + Sharpe agree

I am not as high on Dilfer as others as it is, but he totally and completely lost me on his "analysis" on how the Jets are a "matchup nightmare" for us.

--He argues that their coverage will remove our best receiver...my question to Dilfer is this: which one? Revis can cover Jackson, but Gates will be open all day, and David Harris is good, but he cannot cover Gates. Also, Floyd versus Lito is a matchup I will take all day long...and heck, Rivers has been able to place the ball in VJ's hands when covered by some of the league's best corners in the past (like Leon Hall, Champ Bailey, Nnamdi Asomugha, etc). We have played 16 games this season, some of which were against elite defenses, and not a single time was our offense stopped.

--He argues even more stupidly that Rivers will be unable to execute a 7-step drop and throw the ball down the field. The Jets have a dismal pass rush, and the O-line has held off good pass rushes from the likes of Ware, Harrison, Woodley, and others to absolutely torch opposing offenses down the field (28 points against the Steelers in one quarter). The Jets have great coverage, but our receiving core can beat coverage, but their pass rush Sucks with a capital S.

--He claims that we cannot stop the run...did Dilfer stop watching us at 2-3? :lol: Completely false ever since Ellison, Gregory, Siler, and Dobbins started seeing more playing time and our D-line rotation was put into full swing. We stopped the likes of Benson, stood up the Cowgirls at the goal line, and could have held CJ under 100 yards if we didn't give him garbage time treatment.

I actually think the Jets are a good matchup for us, as the formula for beating us is to throw underneath and pass rush us...the Jets are below average at the first and are terrible at the second...but the media has already started the barrage.

Embrace the hate! :icon_twisted:

2. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    dilfer as usual is babbeling. The chargers would mop up the jits. The chargers offense would eat the jits defense up. And the chargers defense would stifle the jits offense.

Doesn't matter who the chargers face to the super bowl. IF the chargers play a serious game they'll kill any team they go against.:yes:

• Like Like x 1
  3. VJ IS THE MAN!!!!!

VJ IS THE MAN!!!!! BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    I think Dilfer is a moron. I also feel it won't matter we are going to play NE. Which i love cause payback is the greatest feeling!!!!!

4. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    What a joke. The Bengals never recovered from their loss to us and the death of Chris Henry. But suddenly, the Jets beat them a couple times and beat the Colts backups and we are supposed to be quaking in our boots. I don't get it. We are a matchup nightmare for the Jets because we have so many weapons. The Jets can't rely on Revis to shutdown our passing game the way he shutdown the Bengals only vertical weapon. We have two receivers who averaged 17 yards per reception and a tight end who averaged 14 yards a catch. Put Revis on whoever you want. The other guys will beat you.

This is the same **** we heard before the Titans game. "The Titans are hot. The Chargers can't stop their running game. The Titans defense can slow down the Chargers." Same ****, different week. The Jets are the Titans with a better defense and a shittier offense.

5. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I agree.

VJack could get erased, but Shepherd is only 5'9 going against 6'5 Floyd....a "matchup nightmare" for the Jets.
    And their hyper aggressive pass rush will leave them incredibly vulnerable to Sproles out of the backfield and Gates 1 on 1 vs Jim Lehnard.

The Bengals were shut down because they have 1 good reciever and NO TIGHTENDS, we have 2 good recievers, the best TE in the game, and arguably the best screen game in the league.....I am surprised that Dilfer is so ignorant in this fact considering that he's hyped the Chargers all year long.

Defensively, we're going to confuse the **** out of Marc Sanchez. This isn't a strait up 4-3 defense or even a typical 3-4, Rivera has made it into something of a hybrid.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Dilfer is basically arguing passion of the moment. That because Sanchez had his first good game in HOW LONG and because they stymied the Bengals offense (which we did too, la-de-dah) and because the Jets defense is ranked so high (which I agree) and their running game is very good (which it is), they'll beat us.

Of all the teams out there the Jets probably concern me the most because of their run game and because of their desire to protect sanchez. But their fans need to remember that we've put up big numbers against equally as good defenses and big passing days (Rivers vs Ravens, Eagles, Broncos, Bengals, Cowboys). And Revis might be a good CB (which he is) but I don't remember him being very successful against Rivers and Jackson last time we all met up.

7. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    The less they believe in us the better i feel :tup:
    the last time everyone was picking us it went to our players heads:tdown::mad: do u guys remem Igor and his stupid a** quote "Who? New England? Seriously, I mean, they're more worried than we are, I promise you. Believe me. They know what's up." :banghead::grindteeth::pissed: not sure that they can handel the praise GIVE ME "US AGAINST THE WORLD"

8. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I don't remember Revis having that much of an impact when we met up last year. I know their defense is better than last year's, but our offense is better, too. I just don't get all that scared when I look at the Jets. They are extremely beatable. Look at some of the teams that beat them this year--Miami (twice), Buffalo, Atlanta. As long as we don't beat ourselves with turnovers, etc., I say we beat the Jets by at least two scores.

9. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Rivers had 3 TD passes, and VJ caught 3 passes for 74 yards. That's almost 25 yards per reception.

10. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Dilfer is a world class D-Bag on ESPN. He rides the jock of whoever is the hot topic right now. He sucked as a QB, and sucks as an analyst. I always turn down the volume when he starts talking.

11. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Dilfer must be a knee-jerk analyst, along with the Jet talk he proclaimed that the Cowboys are the best and hottest team in the playoffs. I wonder what expert analysis he'll bring us tomorrow. Probably something like the Pats are back (if they win).

Jets have a good defense and running game, but the running game can be neutralized if the Jets fall behind. Really it's not even like they dominated the Bengals, if the Bengals had any kind of passing game they would have easily won, but Palmer was awful, Ocho was shut down by Revis (which is more Revis than anything), the other 2 guys were hurt. Plus you add the 2 missed chip shots which could have resulted in a very different outcome, if one of those are made the Bengals wouldn't have been forced to abandon the running game.

And like already mentioned our offense is a bigger mismatch for their defense than their defense is to our offense. Revis can only cover 1 guy.

12. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    When I look at Revis, as well, I see a corner who is awesome, no questions asked. However, after watching plenty of games against the Raiders, I think that Asomugha is a better corner--and Rivers still has found Jackson a number of times with the game on the line.

Oh well, I am glad that I am not the only person who thinks that Dilfer is taking the easy way out...just another reason to embrace the hate. :abq2:

13. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    It's good to see the national media talking about the Bolt's, even bad press is good news for this team. In the end, all that matters is winning. Good, bad or ugly, just get that dang Lombardi and all the negative talk will fade away.

• Like Like x 1
  14. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    this is only good news for this team...they play better as the underdog anyway. However I do think the point is moot as they will be facing the Patriots for some long overdue payback...

15. Yngwie77

Yngwie77 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +17
    i just don't get the unbelievable amount of people jumping on the Jet bandwagon. And it's not only Dilfer, it's alot of Charger fans. I read the forums last night on NFl.com and Signonsandiego and can't believe how many Charger fans actually seem scared of the Jets. I read a TON of posts about how the Jets are so hot and their Def is so scary........please! First of all Cincinnati hasn't played a good game in a month and a half at least. Indy would have beat them by two TD's if Peyton didnt come out. Yeah maybe they can run a little on us but they wont be able to pass worth a damn. Sanchez will have a minimum of 2 picks against us. And yes they have a pretty good defense but thats against teams that have one receiving threat that Revis can shut down. Our team can hit you from all sides....take out VJ...fine we have Gates, Floyd, Sproles on a screen, LT with a swing pass. They blitz us like they do other teams and Rivers will eat them alive!
    We didn't come all this way to be scared of the Jets...I was shocked at all the posts saying how they were a scary matchup for us. If we cant beat the Jets at home after a week of rest then I wont even be heartbroken....i'll know we were just totally fooled about how good we are. If we lost to the Jets we had no damn shot right from the beginning. Please people don't be scared of the Jets....we finally got to the point where this team should be scared of no one and we pick the NYJ to be worried about....Cmon people..........

16. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    +1 :yes:

And I will now be fair and state who I consider "bad matchups" for the Chargers:

Steelers: Their pass rush and zone blitzing always finds a way to get to Rivers, and the coverage scheme makes it difficult for Rivers to locate open receivers, since Polamalu must be located at all times despite the weak play at corner. Sadly, Rivers realized too late this year that the coverage was as weak as it was and he could have likely molested the coverage all day :icon_twisted:.

On offense, Miller is very, very good at torching us underneath, and Wines is a great #2 possession option. Although their running game imposed its will on us earlier this year, that would not happen again--their O-line was playing its best game of the season, we did not use Siler or Ellison, and Mendenhall was looking to avoid riding the pine.

But they can essentially do everything the Jets cannot that makes them a true matchup nightmare for us.

Giants: I was pumped when we beat the Giants, mainly because they came to play against us. Rivers threw two picks against their scheme (neither of which were terrible) and was not sacked much, but was hurried considerably.

On offense, they have a great underneath possession receiver core, with Steve Smith being a constant annoyance and Boss getting open far too often.

Technically, the Colts could be a difficult matchup if they wanted to be, but taking Clark and Freeney out of the game really limits them.

There are other "bad" matchups for us, but these are two that should be relatively obvious.

17. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    Shannon Sharpe call the Jets the "2000 Ravens all over again".

Boomer says that the Jets are a "nightmare" for the chargers because they could run the ball at will against us and have a great defense, especially using the blitz.

3 points for the morons who make me feel like I could be an analyst:

--No defense has come close to shutting us down this year.

--Since playing Siler, Dobbins, Ellison, and Gregory more, we have been one of the better teams against the run.

--This is the funny one, check Rivers's QB rating versus the blitz. I am sure it is well over 110. And the Jets cannot generate any pass rush without it.

18. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I love it! I was getting tired of all the "Chargers are the favorite, a shoo-in, etc." Let the Jets and the Cowboys be the media darlings for awhile.

19. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    NFL's Best & Worst: QBs Versus The Blitz

When the defense sends six players or more at the quarterback, which ones thrive under the pressure--and which ones fail? Scout.com's Ed Thompson ranks the NFL's best and worst at handling the blitz.

Thirty four quarterbacks have felt the pressure of the blitz at least 75 times this season. So who's the best and the worst at handling that heat?

As I dug into the stats to help me rank those players, I looked at how the players performed in a number of categories. I've included some of that information immediately below the rankings to provide you with a deeper look at how some of the quarterbacks from around the league perform in those areas when defenses send six or more players charging across the line.

The Best Versus The Blitz

1. Drew Brees (New Orleans Saints): His 71-percent completion rate and 10.24 passing yards per attempt surpass his numbers in non-blitz situations (68.9 percent and 8.2 yards). With seven touchdown passes, just three interceptions and ten sacks versus the blitz, defensive coordinators have noticed it doesn't pay to take defenders out of pass coverage to apply pressure. As a result, he's only had to throw 107 passes against a blitz, tenth-lowest out of the 34 quarterbacks.

2. Peyton Manning (Indianapolis Colts): Opponents also know it's tough to rattle Manning, so his 133 attempts versus the blitz is near the middle of the pack (16th). His completion rate is virtually even whether facing a blitz or not, but he makes opponents pay with 9.01 yards per attempt--significantly higher than his 7.56 without that pressure. With ten touchdown passes, four interceptions and just five sacks, the blitz isn't a significant factor in deterring him from keeping his offense moving.

3. Aaron Rodgers (Green Bay Packers): Oddly enough, although he's been sacked 49 times this year, just 18 have occurred while being blitzed. Rodgers has been victimized by coverage sacks much more frequently than by an unexpected pass rush. His completion rate is nearly six points higher and his yards per attempt jumps from 7.44 to 9.23. Despite the improved production under the gun, he's thrown the ninth-most passes against the blitz this year. Defensive coordinators should wake up.

4. Donovan McNabb (Philadelphia Eagles): His completion rate drops two percent against the blitz, but he's still hitting 59.1 percent in those situations. And although he's been sacked fourteen times, he's only thrown two interceptions this season when the pressure's on. McNabb is averaging 8.83 yards per attempt versus just 7.84 against a standard pass rush.

5. Philip Rivers (San Diego Chargers): Half of the 24 times that Rivers has hit the turf, it's been due to a blitz. And his completion percentage drops from 69.6 to 59.6 when opponents try to overwhelm him. But his league-best 14 touchdown passes under pressure is higher than his total when he's facing a traditional pass rush (11), and his average gain per pass versus the blitz is one of the best in the league at 9.20 yards. So there's a high level of risk for defensive coordinators in pursuing the reward.

The Worst

1. Derek Anderson (Cleveland Browns): His passer rating against the blitz is 14.6. Folks, that's not a typo. Just 14.6. Out of 80 pass attempts with at least six pass rushers charging at him, he's completed just 38.8 percent of his throws, averaged just 4.01 yards per attempt, has thrown seven interceptions and no touchdowns. With Brady Quinn added to the team's injured reserve list this past week, Anderson will be back under center for the team's final two contests.

2. Jake Delhomme (Carolina Panthers): Not handling the blitz particularly well was just one of the reasons that the veteran finds himself on the sidelines as this year winds down. He completed just 44.8 percent of his throws when the pressure was on, dropped nearly a yard in average gain per pass attempt to just 5.6, and tossed seven of his 18 interceptions in those situations.

3. JaMarcus Russell (Oakland Raiders): Against the blitz he threw four interceptions, was sacked ten times and completed just 43.8 percent of his throws. Russell's average gain in those situations was a meager 5.48 yards, putting him in a tie with Brady Quinn of the Browns for second-lowest behind Derek Anderson.

4. Mark Sanchez (New York Jets): The Jets rookie has thrown more interceptions in these situations--eight with two games to go--than any other NFL quarterback this year. And he's also been dropped for a sack six times. To his credit, he's completed 55.7 percent of his passes and has tossed six touchdowns.

5. Josh Freeman (Tampa Bay Buccaneers): He's a rookie with just seven starts under his belt, so you have to cut him some slack. But the fact of the matter is he's completing just 46.8 percent of his throws against the blitz for less than six yards a pop.

Categories Evaluated

Completion Percent

How often the 34 quarterbacks were able to make a connection with defenders breathing down his neck--even if it was just to a safety-valve receiver--was one area of consideration when ranking the best and the worst overall.

Drew Brees stands far above the crowd with a 71 percent completion rate. The next tier would include Peyton Manning (68.4), Aaron Rodgers (68.3), and Ben Roethlisberger of the Pittsburgh Steelers (67.8). Other quarterbacks completing a healthy 60 percent or better include Kurt Warner, Matt Schaub of the Houston Texans, Tom Brady of the New England Patriots, Jay Cutler of the Chicago Bears, Brett Favre of the Minnesota Vikings, Kyle Orton of the Denver Broncos, Joe Flacco of the Baltimore Ravens, and Jason Campbell of the Washington Redskins.

The lowest completion rate against the blitz this year has been logged by Derek Anderson (38.8 percent). By comparison, Brady Quinn had the sixth-worst rate out of the 34 quarterbacks at 48.7 percent. The four quarterbacks joining them at the bottom of the list are JaMarcus Russell (43.8), Jake Delhomme (44.8), Josh Freeman (46.8) and Vince Young of the Tennessee Titans (48.1).

Touchdowns

Six quarterbacks have thrown at least ten touchdown passes against the blitz. Philip Rivers leads the pack with 14 so far this season. Eli Manning of the New York Giants trails him at 13, while Joe Flacco, Peyton Manning Kyle Orton and Kurt Warner have ten each.

While most of the quarterbacks who have only thrown two touchdowns or less against the blitz have either been benched or were elevated to the starter's role during the season, there's one execption--Donovan McNabb of the Philadelphia Eagles. Joining him with just two touchdowns are Jake Delhomme, Josh Freeman, and Chad Henne of the Miami Dolphins. JaMarcus Russell has thrown one while Derek Anderson hasn't tossed any against the blitz.

Interceptions

Hearing the footsteps of a defender causes miscues as well, and New York Jets rookie Mark Sanchez has suffered from that problem with a league-high eight interceptions while under pressure. Four other quarterbacks--Derek Anderson, Jay Cutler, Jake Delhomme and Chad Henne--are just one off of his pace.

While each of the 34 quarterbacks reviewed have thrown at least one pick, four have only thrown one--Brady Quinn, David Garrard of the Jacksonville Jaguars, Brett Favre, and Marc Burger of the St. Louis Rams.

Sacks

Four starters have been thrown to the turf for a loss at least 20 times while attempting to avoid a blitz, but none more the Ben Roethlisberger, who's been sacked 25 times when six or more defenders come across the line at the snap. Matt Cassel of the Kansas City Chiefs is second at 23 followed by Tony Romo (22) and Matt Hasselbeck of the Seattle Seahawks (21).

At the other end of the spectrum is Tom Brady, who's allowed himself to be tackled for a loss just twice when he sees the blitz. Titans quarterbacks Kerry Collins and Vince Young have suffered just three setbacks each as part-time starters this year, while Peyton Manning and Matt Ryan have allowed just five each.

Yards Per Attempt

One other category that tells an interesting portion of the story is how drastically the blitz impacts the quarterback's yards per pass attempt average. Eighteen of the 34 quarterbacks actually have a better average when under pressure than when they're facing the blitz. Six don't show much impact at all, while ten show a decrease. So that trend is a good indicator of whether or not it may be more worthwhile to blitz to limit the average gain during a pass play. The mix of who fell into those categories was a bit surprising.

Matt Ryan of the Falcons and Drew Brees jump at least two yards per attempt when working against a blitz. Ryan averages 7.96 yards, but just 5.56 without a blitz. Brees gains the most yardage of any NFL quarterback--10.24 yards against the blitz versus 8.20 without.

Other notable increases have been posted by Aaron Rodgers (1.79 yards), Peyton Manning (1.45) and Kyle Orton (1.23).

Whose average dips the most? Not the quarterbacks you'd expect.

New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning grabs 8.66 yards per attempt when not being pressured by the blitz, but 7.41 when the opponent brings it. That's a drop of 1.25 yards per attempt and perhaps one of the reasons that opposing defenses have forced him to throw 203 passes against the blitz--second highest in the league. Carson Palmer of the Cincinnati Bengals is second with a decrease of 1.04 yards from 7.18 to 6.14.

The next three in line are also a bit of a surprise. Matt Hasselbeck and Brett Favre each drop by 0.95 yards while Tom Brady is close behind at 0.88.

20. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    As good as Revis is, I don't know if he's covered WR that are as tall, big, athletic, and used to being agressively defended like VJ and Floyd are.

6' 1" 200 lbs is much different than 6' 5" 225 or 240.

Moss is a tall WR and Owens is a big WR (225 lbs), but they aren't want to be bumping a lot. They are afraid of it.

Revis intimidated OchoSucko by bumping and "gently shoving" him for 6 quarters. VJ and Floyd don't mind that at all.

Oh, and if he tries that junk against Gates? Well, ummm.. in basketball they bump and shove getting position all the time. So, Gates is used to it and just swats it away.

21. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    It's a matchup nightmare for the Jets and should be an easy win over a Jets team that hasn't beaten a good team all year. And no beating the Colts when they did doesn't count.

Revis is good but he hasn't faced a receiver like VJ yet, and Rivers embraces the Blitz. Quick slants and Sproles screens all day baby!

The D will feed off our crowd and easily shutdown Sanchez and the Jets O.

22. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    The last time we faced the Jets....48pts.....Rivers 250yds 3TD's.
    The last time we faced Rex Ryan...32pts.....Rivers 250yds 3TD's.....could have been a lot worse but we took our foot off the gas and didn't throw a single pass in the 4th quarter.

23. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,804
    Bring it - No excuses - We have to bring it and win in our house

This is the NFL and no team is a pushover, including the Chargers. We have a lot to be proud of and a lot to believe in no matter who our opponent is. Our boys didn't work this hard, this long, overcoming all those injuries just to get rattled now :p

24. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    Granted, nothing is ever a 'sure bet', but I'm expecting to see our second stringers playing halfway through the fourth quarter.

25. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Not unlikely, their offense is 1 dimentional with a rookie QB prone to mistakes.

Their defense has been OWNED by Philip Rivers in the past. I expect a huge game by Gates, Sproles and Floyd. And due to the size difference I don't expect VJack to get shut out like more finesse WR's like Ochocinco and Moss.

26. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    VJ is also the second most physical wideout in the league to Wines Hard, and he doesn't need to play dirty to get that billing, either.

Revis will get worn out in the first half, and VJ will start to shine in the second. I have seen this script play out against Asomugha, and I fear him quite a bit more than Revis.

27. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    ..and it's mainly the New York media setting the hype, because the Giants are out of the contention.
    Jets lost at home to Buffalo, Miami, Jaxonville and Atlanta.
    Every playoff game has to be played strong
    and Bolts will show it.

28. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    our guys are football players, they like to hit. :tup:

29. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    You are right. If we score 17 points on the Jets, we can win. Stop the run, make Sanchez try to beat us. :yes:

30. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Good point, VJack plays Aso and Champ twice a year, Revis will not come as a shock.

I expect Revis to get a couple big PI calls in his desperation to out muscle Jackson like he does with most recievers.