1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

DiPietro signs 15 year deal

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by MtlBoltsFan, Sep 12, 2006.

1. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    UNIONDALE, N.Y. Sep 12, 2006 (AP)— Rick DiPietro re-signed with the New York Islanders on Tuesday, agreeing to a record 15-year deal that will pay the No. 1 goalie $67.5 million.

The Islanders scheduled an afternoon news conference to officially announce the contract that would keep DiPietro in the fold until 2022, when he would be 40.

"We've been working at it all summer," DiPietro's agent Paul Krepelka told The Associated Press.

The deal, first reported by Newsday, is the longest in NHL history, topping the 10-year, $87.5 million contract the Islanders gave enigmatic center Alexei Yashin in 2001.

That was one of the contracts that sent NHL salaries soaring and led to the salary cap in the collective bargaining agreement that ended the lockout last year. It also saddled New York with a player who is nearly impossible to move and who takes up a big chunk of the team's $44 million maximum payroll.

"With a long-term deal, you're speculating what you'll be worth and what you'll be making," DiPietro said. "I don't think that player salaries are going to go up that much more. I mean, how much higher can they go?"

DiPietro's deal is believed to be second only in length in North American sports to the 25-year pact Magic Johnson signed with the Los Angeles Lakers in 1981.

"Clubs are free to make their own decisions within the confines laid out in the collective bargaining agreement and other applicable league rules," NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said. "Some decisions turn out well, others not so well.

"Time will tell whether this will be a good decision or a bad one for the Islanders."

The contract is guaranteed and DiPietro will be paid in full should he retire because of injury. If he ends his career otherwise before the deal expires, he would forfeit the remaining dollars, Krepelka said.

"I take a lot of pride in what I do," DiPietro said. "In order to make this a good deal, I have to perform and we have to win."

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,889
    .......................................:icon_huh: :icon_wtf:

this is not logical captain

• Like Like x 1
  3. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Yah I'm pretty befuddled myself. First of all 15 years is like selling your soul. Second of all, DiPietro hasn't even proved to be a great goaltender yet. Those crazy new yorkers will do anything to get some attention :yes: