1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion, or Monologue: Chargers V. Browns; which fans should wear bags this week

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Well, next up the Browns.
    They have not been playing as poorly this season as in past seasons...

Total Offense,
    Browns rank 23rd
    (I do not think this has been updated for week 3 yet; how ever Minnesota ranked 27 before hanging an L on the Chargers!)
    Chargers rank 4th (I expect that to fall when stats are updated tomorrow.)

Total Defense,
    Browns rank 27th
    Chargers rank 11th (tied with St. Louis)

I expect all Chargers ranking to drop. So the question is can the Chargers field a prepared team. Again our ranks are being decimated by injury. Fluker seemed to say in a tweet yesterday that he came back so soon because there was no one else available. Not good ju-ju in my honest opinion.

So; open thread...
    1) Can the Chargers beat the Browns,
    2) Will the Chargers beat the Browns
    3) Will the Chargers play down to their opponents once again.

PR17 needs to stop giving the ball away. He does have a point when he says there is still a lot of football left. Now is the time to make a statement. Each week there is less and less football left Mr. Rivers.

And.... GO!

2. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
  3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
  4. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
  5. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    There's going to be the same amount of football left whether you win or lose, Mr. Rivers. Quit giving the ball away and you can, you know, sort of help determine whether you win or lose. As an added bonus, when you win you don't have to come up with nonsensical remarks such as, "there's still a lot of football left."
    (not directed at you Conc. I just heard that too many times last year. Then it morphed to "not much football left." Then the fat lady sang.)

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Only the fans who are weak and unoriginal.

7. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    Browns Beatdown 2015

8. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    We lose if he plays. Well maybe we lose not matter who's back there.

9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    What happened to the ever positive ChargerRay?! You make angels cry now! ;)

10. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Mobile QBs always give our D fits.... with the secondary injuries, and lack of a pass rush, I would expect that trend to continue.

11. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,024
    Kaepernick is a very agile and quick mobile QB. IIRC, we had a very nice come back last season against his 40'rs. True to form that the 49'rs are also a bad team with an erratic and inaccurate Kaepy at the helm, but still neither our secondary nor our pass rush was daunting last year. The big difference last year when we had the good River in the 1st half of the season was that we did not turn the ball over as many times as we are giving it away this year.

This team with the exception of maybe the RB crew, Donald Brown not in consideration, has regressed and got poorer in every facet of the game including coaching. In 2013 we either had the beginner's luck with the McCoy crew or the Whizzer was the X-Factor. I am leaning toward the latter!

12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    We have no O-line..... That pretty much trumps everything, but my point still stands. Our defense has historically been crap against mobile QBs. One game against the 49ers doesn't change that, Blitzy.

13. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,024
    I had heard that Russell Wilson was also a quick and agile mobile QB, last year ;)

Seriously though, I am not refuting what you are saying but compounding the argument that evidently, we have regressed in almost every facet.

One interesting note: I noticed a couple of the Vikes defensive front who looked quite muscular and jacked in appearances than the lard arses in the Chargers employment. Although a muscular appearance onto itself doesn't mean much in terms of translating into superior NFL performance (for instance, Shaun Phillips was never jacked) they just looked to be in better aesthetic shape than what I was seeing on the gold& blue side.

14. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    We've also historically not done well against backup quarterbacks, rookie wide receivers, left guards that were working at Wal-Mart until three days before the game, & etc.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Simply put, the Chargers have a rather checkered history.

16. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,024
    How much do the residents of Carson, CA know about their past? I'd say, less the better ;)

17. Slam

Slam BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +137
    Feeling as a trauma survivor and happy that Rivers is still alive... Bring on Manziel.

I will enjoy Ingram smashing him

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Unbelievable...

Chargers:
    Total Offensive Ranking:
    4th
    Passing
    3rd
    Rushing
    28th
    Receiving
    1st
    Give/Take
    tied for 25th with -3 (4 Ints, 4 Fumble, 6 on PR17)

Total Defensive Ranking:
    9th (Tied with St. Louis)
    Passing
    3rd
    Rushing
    28th

19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
  20. SayOw

SayOw BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    IIRC, many of the recent few Chargers-Browns games have been abysmal, with neither team doing anything impressive. Can the Chargers win this game? Yes. Will they? I don't put much stock into the team at this point. I don't think a loss to the Browns means the season is over but it will be yet another loss to probably a sub-.500 team when the season concludes. Good teams don't lose to bad teams and that is something the Chargers consistently have done.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
  22. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Put on your big boy pants and get on down there, Conc. :D

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    At my age perhaps depends are more fitting... ;)

24. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Hey, it's not like they can afford to be choosy at this point. :laugh:

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
  26. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    That is what I thought. Anyone got Toni Fonoti's number?

27. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
  28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
  29. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
  30. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Browns-Chargers Preview
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/preview?gameId=400791714

Multiple Cleveland Browns have denied a report that there's dissension in the locker room over whether Johnny Manziel or Josh McCown should be the starting quarterback.

Coach Mike Pettine knows where the fans' allegiance lies after hearing chants for Manziel last week, but he wouldn't be surprised if his players had differing opinions on the topic.

Despite Manziel having led the Browns to their only victory and McCown being banged up, Pettine remains committed to starting McCown in Sunday's road matchup with the San Diego Chargers.

"Are we going to have one thousand-percent agreement on how we're using players? No," Pettine said. "It falls into coaches coach and players have their jobs to do. And are they going to have their opinions? Certainly. I'm confident there is no rift in the locker room. We're confident in our plan and we'll move ahead forward with it."

McCown suffered a concussion attempting to dive into the end zone on Cleveland's first drive of the season in a loss to the New York Jets. Manziel came on and connected with Travis Benjamin on a 54-yard touchdown pass, and the pair hooked up on a 60-yard TD the following week in a 28-14 victory over Tennessee.

Despite Manziel's success, Pettine decided to go back to McCown last week. He went 28 of 49 for 341 yards and two touchdowns but was intercepted in the final minute and the Browns (1-2) fell 27-20 to Oakland.

McCown also suffered a hand injury in that contest, though he doesn't expect it to be a problem against the Chargers (1-2). He's also dealing with a TMZ report that claimed three unnamed Browns starters would rather have Manziel starting under center, and he certainly heard the fans calling for the Heisman Trophy winner.

Linemen Joe Thomas, John Greco, Mitchell Schwartz questioned the report's authenticity, and Alex Mack and Joel Bitonio said they didn't contribute to anything that was written if it indeed was true.

"Control the controllables," Pettine said. "The only thing we know how to do is not get caught up in that. That stuff can drag you down emotionally. If you start to let the past sit on your shoulders -- I won't allow it to happen to myself. I won't allow it to happen to this team."

San Diego's quarterback situation is completely clear, but protecting Philip Rivers has been an issue. He's been sacked four times in each of the last two weeks and had the wind knocked out of him in the third quarter of Sunday's 31-14 loss at Minnesota.

Rivers committed two turnovers and left the game in the fourth. He's been playing behind a damaged offensive line as D.J. Fluker has been dealing with a badly sprained left ankle and Chris Hairston has dealt with an ankle injury of his own.

Chris Watt suffered a groin injury against the Vikings, Orlando Franklin hurt his right ankle and King Dunlap suffered a concussion. San Diego signed J.D. Walton, who started every game at center for the New York Giants last year, and promoted Tyreek Burwell from the practice squad.

It's uncertain who will be healthy enough to play Sunday.

"The nature of this business is that when you're called upon to do your job, it doesn't matter if you started the game or not," said Trevor Robinson, who replaced Watt against the Vikings. "I think I'm confident in myself and confident in everybody. Whoever those five are, I'm confident we can give ourselves a chance to win."

The Chargers are fourth in total offense at 402.0 yards per game, but their eight turnovers are tied for second-most in the league. Their one sack is tied for the fewest.

"We'll do whatever it takes to fix this," McCoy said. "You've got to have thick skin in this business. We need to be more consistent in all three phases."

The Browns allowed 314 passing yards last week after giving up at least that many once last season. However, All-Pro cornerback Joe Haden played through a rib injury suffered on the game's first play.

Haden and safety Tashaun Gipson (groin) are considered day to day but should play Sunday.