1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Dissect this play

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Shamrock, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    That's a complicated blitz run by Wade Phillips.

Merriman is in a 4-3 look at the RDE. He and Robinson run a stunt, with McCree coming on the outside of that side of the line. :59: comes in BETWEEN the two stunting players on the right as well. This makes for FOUR players coming from the defensive right of the center.

The right guard doesn't know what to do at first, so he then goes to help the center on Merriman.

The left side of our rush is Castillo one on one with the left tackle. Castillo swings wide to provide outside QB containment.

S. Phillips "zone blitzes" by dropping into the coverage flat.

The Chiefs were running a screen to the right on this play. Notice the left guard and running back both bail to the right - which would have been in Shaun Phillips zone.

The good thing that Donnie's bad tackle (he missed him high, then missed a low level ankle nibble) did was force Green to his left. It would have been impossible for Green to get the screen off in that position, and had he tried to throw downfield to a WR, the Chiefs would have been guilty of having a lineman (LG) downfield. At the point that Donnie missed the sack, Green's choices were run or take a sack.

Wade Phillips had the perfect call. A five man overload right blitz, with the zone blitzer responsible for the area the Chiefs intended to exploit.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    That was a tremendous call at the perfect time. I think Wade called as good a defensive game as I've ever seen on Sunday. It seemed that every blitz he dialed up worked.

3. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    That's just Beautiful!
    Thank You!
    :ABQ1:

4. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Meanwhile, somewhere near Seattle... Matt Hasselbeck just **** himself. :D

5. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    I love dissecting plays like this. I wish there were more NFL shows that did that sort of thing.

6. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Assigning blame to the Chiefs OL .....

My take ....

The center is the one who screwed up. He should have passed Merriman off to the RG and slid to pick up the blitzing Edwards. However, my best guess says in the Chiefs meeting rooms they would have argued against ever passing off Merriman, as the fraction of time to do that would allow Lights Out to blaze his way to the QB. Also, the OL's protection scheme knew that TE #84 was in the backfield to account for any extra blitzers and they probably expected 84 to pick up Edwards. Specifically to the linemen protection, overloaded and swamped to the offensive left, they didn't account for McCree coming from the outside and occupying #84.

The left guard is the primary screen blocker. He initially hits Robinson, passes him to the left tackle, then heads for his play assignment on the screen. He did nothing wrong, IMO.

It also looks like the left tackle moved just before the snap.

7. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Seems like the middle blitz was workin cuz the Cheifs were so committed to stopping the outside rushers (the 2 Shawns).

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    that's what wade exploited to perfection; our main guys getting pressure are the Shawns and maybe Castillo; as such with all the protection sliding on the outside, it allows the inside to be exploited on blitzes. Interestingly enough we could keep this up which would force other teams to jam the middle and free up Phillips and Merriman

9. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Donnie completely whiffed on the tackle and then bit Green's ankle and it still took another player to get him down LOL

Donnie would make a great car-dealer

10. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Give me a break. Go hate on someone who actually deserves it.