1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Divisional Round news

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,223
  2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    Uh huh :cautious:

3. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,919
    3 interviews probably takes up a total of 3, maybe 6 hours of his time combined. And that's if he's meticulously going over their roster or something like it was reported TT did in his interview for GM here.

I'm sure he can squeeze in a little time to work with the offense around that since they're coming to him instead of him having to fly to these cities.

4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    Maybe that's active time. But how much is he thinking about it, considering his options, during practice, during film study, during the game itself as we're fighting for our season to move on?

It's a distraction, maybe not as negative as an arrest or a suspension but a distraction to him for sure and probably to the players as well.

If we win I'll drop it, or if the offense scores 30+ points in a good effort.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  5. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,374
    Yeah, this is the kind of thing that gets completely overblown by people looking in from the outside. If we lose Sunday, it will not be because Whiz has interviewed for other jobs.

6. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    How should we know? None of us are mind readers so what's the point of breaking a sweat over it?

How do you know he wouldn't be distracting himself with the possibility of job openings that are sure to come if he weren't interviewing? (Getting them out of the way and moving on, as opposed to trying to run the offense and thinking about what's still there after the season)

How do you know they didn't grant these interviews in the first place to quell the anxiety that may or may not have existed?

Getting upset over things you can't possibly know but might be the case (but can just as easily not be) is wasted energy.

7. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    And even if we lose on Sunday with a poor offensive outing we STILL have no way of knowing if it was because Whiz was distracted, or if the Denver D just had that great of a showing, or if some other unknown factor was involved with one or more of the players.....but people will no doubt use these interviews as a scapegoat should that happen.

8. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    Weak, falling back on a "nobody can know for sure" argument is not an argument that supports Whisenhunts decision (or the Chargers for allowing it).

You can spin it negative or neutral, but there is no way you can spin this into a positive for the Chargers. And that's my problem.

I'll worry about what energy I expend, you can worry about yourself.

9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,223
    Perhaps you could look at his statement in another light. Rather than him directly confronting, and arguing with you, they could indeed be taken as a differing perspective. He has valid points as to why thing may have happened as they did. You take is just as speculative as is mine BSB's etc...

Time to enjoy this ride, we have all off season to get butt hurt about possible meanings hidden in posts! ;)

10. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    Pure, unadulterated speculation isn't an argument either.

And I wasn't telling you what energy you should expend. I was explaining why I don't share your unsubstantiated concern and expend the energy myself.

11. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    Valid or not, nothing about this situation is positive. Therefore I retain the right to be critical.

Simple enough logic?

12. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    Not really.

You created a bad scenario in your mind then argued why it's bad for us.

I created a scenario in my response that's just as likely if they were to not allow him to interview.

13. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,223
    That is your take. Frankly given the time that players are allowed to interact in meetings and such, daily by the NFL, I doubt that these interviews are impacting the O much at all. We will find out Sunday.

Annie Heilbrunn ‏@annieheilbrunn1m
    Seems Whisenhunt will speak with Lions, Titans & Browns over next few days. Can't blame him for interviewing. This is the way league goes.

UTKevinAcee ‏@UTKevinAcee20m
    Ken Whisenhunt waited until end of week. This is 18th game. If Chargers lose in Denver, won't be because he's interviewing for other jobs.

14. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    I hope you're right Conc.

But regardless of Acee's speculation that it won't affect the game, the questions will be asked should we lose and the offense sputters.

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,223
    If we lose there will be a plethora of questions...

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,223
  17. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    It can be asked, but we'll never under any circumstance have a way of answering it. Which will, of course, leave some fans to just assume it was the case in that scenario.

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,223
  19. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,374
    Assuming that correlation=causation is far weaker. The fact that something cannot be definitively disproven is not proof that it happened. You just need something to whine about. Congrats. You found it.

• Winner Winner x 2
  20. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    You think I need something to whine about? I just want to hear that the biggest game for this organization since 2007 has everyone's full attention.

Am I the only one?

If this is just the way the NFL works then so be it, players should be allowed to talk free agent contracts this week too....yet somehow I don't think you guys would react the same if Donald Butler were having dinner with Jets brass tonight.

21. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,374
    This just seems so far removed from anything that will happen on the field Sunday that I have a hard time believing it's worth concerning ourselves with. Whiz and the Offensive staff will prepare as they do for every game. Whiz will have a few interviews in the few hours he has off. On Sunday Whiz will be calling the plays. What's the big deal?

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +611
  23. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +611
    Obviously it is concerning factor because of the distraction worries, but quite different to the analogy which you used with say, Donald Butler. From the article I understood that these interviews (most probably still in preliminary states) will be conducted from here in San Diego (for now) to minimize the effect on the team.

Like it or not, success breeds interest and Whizzy is hot commodity.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  24. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    That's fine you feel that way, I think you're wrong, and I hope you're 100% right because I do truly believe we can win this game if all 3 phases are delivering.

25. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,374
    It "seems" like it would be a distraction, so it must be bad. It's just kind of a pointless thing to worry about. There's no way to predict the impact it will have on the game, but if the team is that easily distracted then I'm sure they'll find some shiny object to keep them from playing their best.

26. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
  27. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,764
    McWhizzor talking shop won't be the cause if the Bolts lose, It will be because the Bolts take the day off. The donks and the pizza face won't win because they're better, hell, This young and injured defense has already given them more than they want, twice!!!. The donks have complained the last two years to the league office because the Bolts are mean to them and pizza face, they know who to fear and who to call. ARCHIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

28. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Here's an 'interesting' quote from Fox

"The Wizard of Oz," Fox said. "Now that was a scary movie. I was so young that when I saw it, the whole movie was in black and white. It scared the (expletive) out of me. That witch? And those flying apes? And playing that music: 'Dun ta dun ta dun dun. Dun ta dun ta dun dun.' Now that was scary."

Context being that playing the Chargers isn't scary.

Topical conclusion to the article:
    "You do this job because of that pressure," Fox said. "Otherwise, life can be kind of boring."

As somebody who likes Fox and respects how the coach treats his players, here's one piece of friendly advice:

Don't get Schottenheimered.

Kiszla: Pressure is on Broncos coach John Fox even if he can't feel it - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci...-is-broncos-coach-john-fox-even#ixzz2pwxBhIQP

29. Burlington Bolt Brother

Burlington Bolt Brother BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +162
    May the best Marty win!

30. Burlington Bolt Brother

Burlington Bolt Brother BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +162
    like a hooker?