1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

DO NOT CUT SHAUN PHILLIPS!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by HollywoodLeo, Jan 22, 2010.

1. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,414
    Seriously, I had no idea anybody was calling for this move until I popped into the BoltTalk podcast earlier tonight and saw many in the chat room asking for this move. And now my uncle just sent me a text arguing the same thing.

Quite frankly, it astonishes me that anyone would even consider it let alone argue for it.

You don't cut somebody as good as Shaun Phillips because of one play, no matter how costly that one (very very stupid) play may have been.

You especially do not cut somebody as good as Shaun Phillips when you might be losing your other starting OLB to free agency.

We already have gaping holes to fill at RB and DT. We do not need to shoot ourselves in the foot by creating another one at OLB because we want to hold a grudge over one play.

Admonish Phillips for his stupidity. Hell, even fine him for all I care, but keep him on the roster.

2. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I AGREE!!!

Phillips is a great player but he also needs someone great on the other side. When that person is someone who ain't s*it without steroids... bad things are going to happen!!!

Let Roid Boy walk and be someone else's problem!!! We'll see an improvement in our defense next season... I guarantee it!!

3. ynnoj

ynnoj BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Agreed. However, how much of his success this year was down to the presence of Merriman on the other side?

He's a great athlete, no doubt, but his professionalism and attitude leave a lot to be desired. He's always on Twitter running his mouth about something, too. He's worse than Cro in that respect.

4. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    He seemed to fair pretty well without Merriman on the other side 3 years ago. :icon_shrug:

And yeah, that's 3 years ago, but it's the only non-Ted Cotrell year I have to go on without Merriman on the other side.

And Merriman being on the other side doesn't allow Phillips to strip the ball as much as he does.

I'm not saying he doesn't have room for improvement in discipline. I'm just saying you don't cut a guy because of one play and because he uses twitter.

5. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    at least he makes plays. i dgaf if hes on twitter as long as hes making plays. cro on the other hand...

[​IMG]

6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    He should have been pulled from the game and benched for a while to think about it. Hell, he and V-Jack should be in the dog house all through the off season.

Like Tomlin did with Mendenhall, it might be old fashion but it works. Bench them and dog house treatment get's the point across along with a few word's leaked out to the press.

7. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Agree....sort of. This was a game of win or go home. I don't think there is any leeway to pull a player and sit him. We needed our best players on the field every snap of the ball. I would have loved to of seen Rivera get all up in his grill when the defense came to the sideline (although he may have but just didn't see it). Only problem with that is that the damage was already done. I still think that the players expected this game to be a cake walk and thought they could be too cocky on the field and get away with it in the end with a "W".

8. ynnoj

ynnoj BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    I think if Merriman goes (hopefully for a 1st round pick), then it's imperative that we keep Phillips. English can step up at OLB, but we need Shaun to mentor him.

Perhaps the added responsibility will help mature him.

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Benching him for a couple play's wouldn't hurt anymore than the stupid play did. Dog housing can go on for week's, I'd make him run until the last dude was done showering after practice. Along with a good chewing out, benching and dog housing is the best punishment a coach has. It commands respect and get's it.

10. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Agreed. But in the situation that just happened it was too late. They better have some SERIOUS attitude training during the off season and training camp. My guess is that someone trash talked better then he did and that's when he reverted to being physical.

11. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Why would the Bolts cut him??? If they wanted to get rid of him, they would just trade him for draft picks or something.

He's immature, cocky, and talks trash too much. But the dude makes plays throughout the season, and we don't have anyone better than him right now to take his place.

He will be here in 2010 under his current contract.

12. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Welcome to the forum!

13. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    I have no problems with Shaun being in the proverbial doghouse. That's different than outright getting rid of him.

14. ynnoj

ynnoj BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks!

It'll be nice to get Jamal back and some new faces on the D line for 2010. We've been lacking inside pressure all year.

15. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    No chance that Phillips gets cut. I do hope that he is missing a few pounds from his *** from Rivera chewing him out for being a complete rockhead during the game.

Current Contract:

2011: $3.9 million
    2012: $4.4 million
    2013: Free Agent

16. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    So we have Shaun for 3 more years.

17. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    There are times it seems to me that Philips is the only one on the field making game changing plays. Love the on-field cockiness of the guy.

Based on on-field performance this guy has to be kept as a cornerstone of the defense. Get the guy married and out of the bars and he will be even better.

18. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    It's amazing what resposibilities can to do a person. :yes:

19. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    :lol: This might cause him to drink, more! :icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Alpenbolt