1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Do NOT Play For The Win!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Lance19, Sep 23, 2013.

1. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,762
    Thanks again, 1k times better than I had it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I think that it's worth remember that part of what made our line "historically bad" was that under our previous offensive scheme, rarely used short passes, and asked our linemen to pass block for too long. If we can't trust Rivers to make a 2 yard completion, then he shouldn't be our QB. It shouldn't have been that difficult to go out there with Brown, Royal, Green, Gates, and Woodhead and have one of those four guys be open for a 2 yard pass, or to force the D to come off the line enough to audible to a short run.

3. tittylated

tittylated bolttalk cheerleader sweet

Ratings:
    +24
    I completely understand this thinking however you also have to account for situational factors. The offense had been playing well but they had just lost one of the better pieces of our o line and the coaching staff had no idea if Harris could hold up well at all in the LT position. Our offense would have been playing against the strongest unit of the titans their defense where as our D would be playing against their weakest. With 2:02 to go and no timeouts the Titans had time to run about 7 or 8 plays max. 8 plays to go 94 yards and score a TD with Jake Locker leading the offense. Im sorry but I dont see any way how this could be the fault of McCoy, this defeat rests soley on the hands of the defense particulary Pags for blitzing Weddle on the last play.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,695
    You don't think the Titans would have pressed the WRs forcing Rivers to wait a tick longer for them to get open? You'll almost never see a nice cushion in that situation unless Ted Cotrell is calling the shots.

Albeit Rivers did blow it just two weeks ago in a similar situation, I think this was more about the O-line than Rivers.As well as the fact that it was a TD differential and not just a FG.

5. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    How could McCoy know the Titans would need to go anywhere near as long as 94 yards?
    (normally punting from your 40 won't yield field position that good...remember, Titans had a freak 'blocking
    above the waist' penalty that got them back to the 6)

McCoy just got lucky on that part of the strategy.

Counting on the 2nd worst defense instead of the 2nd most productive QB...well, the luck ran out on that bad plan.

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,205
    We can agree to disagree. The Titans 'weakest' unit (as you tagged them) had just came back in the last half to withing 4 points of the Chargers lead. Given that fact alone why should McCoy or you have any faith that the Chargers would actually be able to stop a below average college O, let alone an NFL O? I get it that McCoy has the 'new coach smell' to him and he will be given a lot of slack (rightfully so), but in all 3 games the D has allowed first half leads to slip away. I have no confidence in our D, and am quickly losing confidence in McCoy and Whissy-wiggs ability to call game winning plays with a lead.

7. Kayworks

Kayworks BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    I think we doomed ....... with our "D"

They made a song about us..... a while back

8. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +498
    Abandon ship!!!!

Remember, this team is 15 seconds away from being 3-0.
    Undefeated.
    Feel free to whine away. For me, we're still in it (until maybe Week 9). :bolt2:

9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,205
    No one is whining.

The team is equally that close to 0-3.

Why is that? What has been the most glaring similarities between the 3 games?

To me is it a solid 1st half lead, and a shameful 2nd half collapse. Each and every time. If you wish to paint that in the light of people 'abandoning the ship' or whining, then you have your head firmly impacted in the sand, in my honest assessment.

As far as being in it until week 9... I agree. I have said numerous time before this team could have as many as 11 wins and I wouldn't be surprised. Equally I would not be surprised with as few as 4.

10. Joy Division

Ratings:
    +498
    Yes, there are people whining. Our definitions are clearly different.
    No, it doesn't matter if there is whining or not. It makes no difference in any past
    or future outcomes of the games.
    It also appears that you are taking personal offense to it with your remark about
    me having my head firmly impacted in the sand (in your honest assessment). Maybe I'm
    wrong. You'll state that I am wrong, and it still won't matter. You mean it's not all about me?
    The rest is all very chummy and I agree with it (still makes no difference).
    This response is irrelevant. Any replies to it will clearly put me in my place, wherever that may be.
    My sarcasm isn't so subtle today. Must have something to do with the wind, it couldn't possibly
    be an attribute of mine.

11. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    All division today. :oops: I prefer the usual joy. :laugh:

p.s.: You probably don't remember, but you sent me a nice note the week I signed up, almost 2 years ago
    (because someone had been kinda d/ckish towards me my first day or so)...
    I don't forget gestures like that

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  12. Joy Division

Ratings:
    +498
    I see what you did there. Good show.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,365
    If we had "collapsed" in the 2nd half "each and every time," we'd be 0-3. As for "2nd half collapses," in Philly the score was 13-10 at the half and both the Bolts and the Eagles scored 20 points in the 2nd half. Not seeing the "collapse." At Tennessee, the teams were tied 10-10 at halftime. The Bolts were outscored 10-7 in the 2nd half. Yes, they gave up the lead at the end. But I'm not sure losing a close game on the road qualifies as a "collapse."

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Burlington Bolt Brother

Burlington Bolt Brother BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +162
    I think that poor coaching ,for all the reasons mentioned above, lost the game but what was amazing is that the Chargers shouldn't have been in position to lose it to begin with. Those two non call PI's in the endzone (worst one by Weddle) would have been 1st and goals on the 1- yet only resulted in 3 points for the Titans. Also, the amazing non-reversals costing the Titans 2 timeouts on top of possibly more points. Funny is that the Chargers -despite being out manned and out talented-were actually in the game and it wasn't talent that ultimately lost it...coaching did. That kid from the couch, Butler actually played that very well but it was a one on one mismatch and the coverage should have never been called. Also, would have been nice to not lose a roster spot due to not getting your paper turned in on time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,205
    You really shouldn't drink and post... ;) (<-- Indicates a jest)
    Perhaps you can clarify what is whining in your book? It sounds, based on what I have seen on this forum, that anyone posing any frustration about the teams performance is whining. I look at Twitter and see a lot of whining and melting down. Folks like B4L (Allan not the current one) whined and ruined every thread they were in with it. I haven't seen any of that here this season for which I was pleasantly surprised. Perhaps you could illuminate your perception for us?

Then why post about it? Simply to express your angst to the 'whiners'? Which is fine I don't know of any rules against it, but it does seems counter to your nature as you seem to have rallied against such postings by others in the past, and sent comforting PMs to people. Why the paradigm shift?

You ARE wrong, because I am NOT going to tell you that you are wrong. You have your opinion and are welcome to it. I have mine, and I am welcome to it.
    Personal offense? Not really, I tend not to like shotgun blast posts such as you made. You know a general post about whiners, abandon ship and feel free to whine away with no definition of a target.
    Am I out of line by responding to it?
    Did 'head firmly impacted in the sand' offend you. If so I am sorry you are offended. I thought it was a semi-humerus way to say we disagree.

Then why are you posting if it makes no difference. I would point out that this is a passive aggressive stance. What is bothering you Joy?

Are you 'put in your place'? Tell me, what tone are you reading this in your head with? The written word rarely carries emotion well.

Damn that wind....

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,205
    Then your definition of collapse is different than mine. Watch the games on a good connection and see the difference in play. You might understand what I am saying.

17. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    ...and days after I'd tired of beating this dead horse...

I just remembered this relatively new NFL slogan:

(Mike, I think it refers to how much of the game you should let a 116.2 passer rating QB play)

Play Rivers All 60 minutes.jpeg