1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Do TT and MM get a break now?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by two1, May 21, 2013.

1. two1

two1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    These guys came in with a plan for a team that was in decline. They have made some real changes and have addressed some real needs. We are not complete yet, however I love what they have done so far. They have brought a new energy to our team that was long over due. I know a lot of folks have given them hell for not getting the lt that we all knew that we needed, however today they have taken care of that with Max Starks and even got us DF on the budget they were on. So I ask do they deserve a bit of a break at least till the season gets started? I think so. Lets go CHARGERS!

2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,405
    I wasn't aware that they were under enormous criticism. Sure, fans saw roster holes that needed filling, but I wouldn't say they were disappointed with their efforts so far.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    I agree it with what Blue said, I never heard anyone suggest Telesco was making things worse, Now if he were to just sit there and do absolutely nothing and admit defeat the that's fair to criticize.

If anything it was the complete opposite IMO

Aside from on paper Telesco had a killer draft, 3 highly touted prospects with possible late 1st round early 2nd round grades in the first three rounds.

Free agency, if you were to tell me given our cap to start FA we'd land Freeney, Starks, Cox, and Woodhead while filling out depth with impact players like Keiser, Rinehart, Wynn, Smith, Phillips I'd tell you to quit jerking me around, but he did it all.................I'd say that alone is a great off season.

Now I'll admit, I like many others wasn't too sure what was going to happen when we started this, seeing Novak, Rinehart, Dunlap as the big signings, but now that it has come together I gotta say I am very very very happy.

Telesco in 6 months has done what AJ failed to do in the past 6 years.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. two1

two1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    See I agree with both of you guys, I think for what they started with they'ev done pretty good. I asked this because I go to other sites and blogs and I have seen where people have no faith in them, and my thoughts are they just started and people act like they forgot we just had dumb and dumber here!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. newjerseydamo

newjerseydamo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    gotten me pretty excited for the new season, will be watching from the first pre-season game! can't wait!

6. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +442
    I've seen some slandering their efforts but water off a ducks back for me. They have 3 yrs to turn this thing around imho and on paper/what they have done so far I v much approve of. I am now really looking forward to the season. I can't say I was so looking forward to it since before Norv's time.

7. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    The same would hold true for John Spanos, IMO. I don't think Deano woke up one morning and said, "Hey, let's hire a couple whizkids for GM and HC."
    John got skewered and roasted alive (on another board) when he got promoted, but I am of the opinion he had a lot of input into hiring McCoy and Telesco.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    I think it was a lot of people thinking he was inheriting the company as the pretty little rich boy who was going to be partying all night and doing cocaine off of hookers butts, who was going to take this team down.

Then once you see how knowledgeable, and passionate he is for the game, how well his thinking compliments that of Telesco's and McCoy's you kind of wish he would have taken over sooner:whistling:

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,897
    Yeah, while I do think some fans have overreacted in regards to not re-signing Phillips or Barnes after the Ingram injury happened I wouldn't say either has received massive criticism to this point.

10. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +223

He's is just as much to blame for putting the team in the mess anyhow. Or have you forgotten the previous four drafts.

11. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    January 17, 2013

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    How so? I'm pretty sure that He had some input on what was happening but it was abundantly clear who had the final say. He even said this year Telesco approach to the draft and free agency was like no other he has ever seen before. Telesco had everyone go around the room and discuss a list full of players and compared A to B and had everyone (Scouts included) put in their say as to what they thought. The main decline to this team had to do more with not keeping the players that had a lot to do with the success to this team in past years.

Also the last 4 drafts? Many scouts, Gm's, Analysts will agree that even if you can hit 60% of your picks to get players that contribute, that is all accounted to as success. I may be on an island alone on this but I believe the last 4 drafts were pretty good.

2010:
    Ryan Mathews (when healthy I'd say he is a play maker, we can piss and moan all we want about this guy and how we traded up to get him, I'd still have him over 17 to 20 other starting RB's)

Donald Butler (3rd round home run in my book.)

Darrell Stuckey (even if he never plays another down at SS I say this was a good pick as a special teams ace)

Cam Thomas (can't really expect more from a guy was taken in the 5th round, could still turn out to be our future NT)

2011:
    Corey Liuget (could end up being a Pro Bowl DE for years to come, arguably one of the best defensive players we have on our team)
    Marcus Gilchrist (the jury is out on him at SS, but still is a starting player on our defense)

Vincent Brown (I think can be a great #2 WR )

Shareece Wright (showed glimpses of a true started last year in pre season, the coaches obviously like the kids potential to not even address this in the draft or free agency)

Andrew Gachkar (another kid who will only be a special teams player but still very good at that

2012:Melvin Ingram (was looking very impressive before the ACL injury, before that Freeney wasn't even in the conversation. Which tells me how much they liked his ability)

Kendall Reyes (another player who could be a foundation to our young up and coming defense)

Brandon Taylor (another player who in very brief moments I really liked what I saw,even if he just becomes a rotational player with Gilchrist from here on out, it's still a plus)

Ladarius Green (another player who I have really high hopes for, just needs to get and stay on the field, I think we'll see a lot more of him this year)

Troutman and Molk (both have reportedly looked very impressive early on in OTA's Molk could eventually be Hardwicks successor while Troutman will be given every opportunity to compete for the starting job)

2013:

Not going to comment on these without seeing them take an NFL snap but on paper everyone is saying how well of a draft this was with Fluker all the way to Steve Williams

Norv (not pointing fingers) is a coach who believes unless there is no other choice to always put a veteran above a rookie. I'm sure there probably was not muc if any at all competition at many of these positions, I'm sure it was set that Rosario was going to take 2nd and 3rd team snaps while Green sat on the side line to observe, just like many of the younger players. This year where it is said to be open competition all the way around, this year we'll get more of an idea on many of the players I mentioned.

13. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,357
    Yeah, I think the jury is still out on the last few drafts. AJ had some misses, but there are some really promising pieces that he put in place. We have him to thank for our talented, young front seven. Obviously, there is some luck involved. Injuries can make even the best draft look awful. The big key to how we look at AJ's last few drafts will be Mathews. If he gets over his injuries, pulls his head out and plays with consistency, he can be a real playmaker. Liguet, Reyes and Butler are all young playmakers that should be cornerstones of the defense for years to come. The new regime has seen enough in Wright and Gilchrist that they believe they both deserve a shot at starting. They are putting alot of faith in Cam Thomas to be the anchor of the defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    No. He's constantly injured, and when he's not, his vision is awful, and his playmaking ability is minimal. Unless it's a broken play by the defense, he doesn't break big runs. Mathews simply does not take a short play and turn it into a big one with his ability, which is why Tolbert was able to get on the field so much while he was on the team.

15. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,610

The injury thing is fair, it's at the point where it could ruin his career. Also I'm not happy with how little progress he's made in pass blocking, not sure if that says more about him or Ollie Wilson.

But as far as big plays, lets be fair we have the worst O-line in the league and it's not debatable. Ty Green, Rex Hadnot, Jeromey Clary, Mike Harris, Kevin Haslem...these are the guys plowing the road for us in '12, and I would even consider Nick Hardwick a mediocre run blocker at best. Never mind the fact that Norv is calling telegraphed dive plays on every 1st down.

In 2011 our O-line was considerably better, and he averaged nearly 5 ypc and had 50 catches, so the talent is there. Lets also not forget he made his bones in the zone blocking scheme in college, and was well known for ripping off huge runs on a regular basis.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,897
    Back no topic, I think Turbo Turtle and Mega Man definitely deserve a break by now.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,405
    I'd have to agree that Mathews' vision is lacking, as are his instincts. He has great athletic ability, but he'll never be an elite player like Tomlinson. Now, there was a back with exceptional vision and instincts. It's a rare player who has the complete package....... LT did, Mathews doesn't.