1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Do we have another Donaghy?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Retired Catholic, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I hesitate to ask this, but the problem is obvious.

2. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    One can't help but wonder.

3. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    If you watch the video... The look on his face tells all... He knew he screwed up the minute the whistle blew... It was like... Oppps I shouldn't be doing this.

BTW... I don't think he was cheating. I simply think he made the worst call of his carrer and he knew it the second he did it.

4. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Well then he should have approached Shanahan and said "I blew the call but it is a fumble. I have to give it to the Chargers."

So you made a bad call but that's what review is for.
    Then you realize you made a bad call, so you fix it.
    He didn't!!!

5. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    But he has to follow the rules that pertain to him as well. Just like a judge, he can't say sure you're guilty of 1st degree murder, but the guy really had it coming so you can go.

When that whistle blows the play is over, the ball is dead and can not change hands no matter what happened before the whistle or what happens after. He can't suddenly change NFL regulations and allow a play to continue after the whistle is blown. He made the wrong decision by blowing the whistle early, but when to blow the whistle is a matter of interpretation. Right on wrong, What you do afterward is not.

He made a mistake and it sucks, but after making his mistake he did exactly what the book told him to do.

EDIT: By the way, please keep this thread a comparison to Tim Donaghy or it is going to get eaten by the monster Ed thread.

6. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    CONCUR...

Had he changed the result to what "would have or should have" happened then it would have been cheating and the bronocos would have a reason to *****.

I still think EH is one of the better refs in the land. He made a very bad boo boo that could cost us the Playoffs or even a stadium in that if we vote this year, and the product sucks, the vote will suck.

If he were cheating, it would have happened in a manner that didn't have the media propensity that this does.

7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Ed made a mistake.

****ing MONUMENTAL mistake, but still a mistake.

D should never put us in a position where 1 missed/bad call costs us the game. NEVER.