1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Do we need a Big Time WR

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by TJBOLT, Nov 30, 2006.

1. TJBOLT

TJBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +19
    our young WR are good in the long ball and in the red zone but they could not get open and Mcardell is getting up in years and it was obvious he was missed in the last game
    so what do you think?

2. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
  3. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +423
    Until we are no longer in the running for one of the NFL best offenses we should continue to try and bolster the defense. We are fine VJ and Floyd are both 6'5 and Parker is speedy, we still need alot of secondary help, Especially at S!

4. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Im not going to comment on this....everyone knows what I think already.

5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,848
    We have 3.
    Parker
    Jackson
    and
    Floyd.

Watch Floyd and Jackson they are going to be great! :tup:

6. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I agree. We've got good recievers. We need two more very good to super linebackers and or another d-lineman that can walk through walls.

7. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,475
    We have average recievers, reliable, but no gamebreakers.

I love McCardell and Parker, but if you want to have an explosive offense you need the deep threat, and we have NONE!

8. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    What's Jackson run? 4.45ish? that's plenty fast to stretch the field. If he practices his route running and sharpens up in that area, he should be able to double move just about any CB.

9. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Agreed! Add Gates to that list even though Gates is a TE. Our recieving corps is fine. No matter who we brought in, they wouldn't have super star stats because Rivers is so effective at checking down his reads that everyone gets touches.

I like Brees, but Rivers excels here. Brees hit almost exclusively McCardell & Gates, with Parker on occasion. With Rivers, Gate's & McCardell's stats are down, but the other recievers stats are up. I don't think we have a reciever in the top 30 in yardage right now. With Rivers at QB it will be rare that we do, but we're a better team with him sharing the ball than just hitting a single go to guy.

10. Critter

Critter BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    Yes.

The Raiders played us in man and most of the time our receivers could not get seperation.

A true threat at the WR position, like a Chad Johnson, and our offense would be virtually unstoppable.

11. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243

I'll pick on Critter .... :lol:

The Raiders defense is getting better, and I think y'all are making more out of the WR issue than needs to be.

We had 150 net yards passing.

Week 11, KC had 92 net yards passing.

Week 10, Denver had 200 net yards passing.

Week 9, Seattle had 164 net yards passing.

The Raiders have been consistently keeping teams under/around 200 yards since the middle of the season.

Would a so-called #1 WR help? Sure. But at what price? And how much of an upgrade (over what we have now) would he be?

The TV overheads CBS give us don't show enough, but Bauer said multiple times that Rivers had guys open that he didn't get the ball to. Rivers just wasn't as sharp as previous games, maybe worrying about the OL some, and getting away from proper mechanics and fundamentals.

I am fairly certain that AJ wouldn't trade for one of these typical "me first" type WR's, and drafting one most likely won't fix the problem overnight, as few rookie WR's make much of an impact early.

I hope AJ keeps looking for that diamond in the rough, like Colston, while shoring up the OL, ILB, safeties, and adding more depth to the OLB's and DL.

Offense relearns how to do simple things - UT

IMO, Rivers and the OL (and the Raiders D playing well) was more at fault than the lack of a true #1 WR.

12. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +108
    A big time receiver? not sure...A santana moss speed type receiver...yes. We need that option where a wr screen can turn into a td and none of our receivers can do that. We have possesion receivers. VJ, Ma'Foy, KMAC, and EP are possesion.

13. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    While not completely on topic, I do think that we should go with having a tall WR and a shorter one on the field at the same time for the most part. We do a lot of rotating already, so it would just be a different rotation. I just think it would give the defense more to think about.

14. Critter

Critter BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23

I am aware of all of this big guy.:icon_wink:

Well, all of it except the part about Bauer's statements. I obviously cannot see what all of the receivers were doing since the TV broadcast is not that generous.

I was assuming, bad word, that our receivers were having a hard time getting seperation since Rivers was struggling during the game. I knew some of it had to do with the Raiders getting pressure and some of it was River's mechanics. Note to Phil, stop throwing off your back foot.:icon_shrug:

Don't get me wrong, I am not unhappy with our O at all. Right now the only receiver that warrants a double team is Gates. By nature he is not an outside receiver although we line him up outside to try and get favorable matchups.

I was just thinking of the ultimate offense. Imagine that we had an outside receiver that required double coverage, that along with Gates and of course LT out of the backfield? Wow, like I said, an offense that would be virtually unstoppable.

Hey, a grown man can dream, right?

15. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,475
    Floyd and Jackson havent proven anything to me, Ive been dissapointed with Vjack in particular.
    Maybe Rivers isnt throwing to him because hes not getting open?

16. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I do think the Raiders defense is improving. Since the Raiders debacle in San Francisco, they have been playing well on that side of the ball.

Points Allowed:

Denver - 13
    Arizona - 9
    Pittsburgh - 13
    Seattle - 16
    Denver - 17
    KC -17
    San Diego - 21

We scored the most points on them in their last 7 games. We got about the average of what they've been giving up lately in passing yards. We did that missing a starting OG and WR, and our backup RB.

I do think a true #1 would make this offense better, yet the Bolts are still at the top in the NFL in scoring without one.

If the "right" guy is there, then AJ will get him. I just hope to hell it isn't one of these me-firsters like T.O., Moss, Chad Johnson, etc.

I think with better OL play, and less happy feet by Rivers, then we would have seen a much better passing attack vs. the Raiders.

I hope your dreams involve cheerleaders and lap dances. That's a lot more fun that pass stats from a #1 WR. :icon_tease:

17. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    [​IMG]

Dude will fall in the draft and we will pull another Cromartie. Will be 20 years old by the time next preseason starts. I don't give a fruck if people say "oh yeah he's a product of the spurrier offense".. fruck that. He is extremely talented and should not be overlooked. Great length and can fill out his frame. Great understanding of the game for such a young player. Has the "basketball edge" to his game. And yes he is an AJ-type player. People think he has hit his ceiling.. he obviously has not.. he is barely 20 years old right now geeze. Let's pray he declares and we will snag him in the late 1st because everyone jumped off the rice-wagon :icon_mrgreen:

18. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    I think with Rivers at QB we dont need a "STUD Go-to WR". He seems to really spread the ball around and doenst seem to favor anyone WR over the others

Look no further then Gates. 2 Years in a row he was basicly a 1100 yard 10+ TD guy, but this year probably wont even get 850 and 8 yet our offense still by far the #1 ranked scoring offense

Dont get me wrong, i would love to have a Larry Fitzgerald (IMO Best all around WR in the NFL) type WR on this team, but we dont necessarily NEED him.

• Like Like x 1
  19. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Rice already said hes going back to school for his JR year
    http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/sports/colleges/university_of_south_carolina/16014954.htm

20. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Do we need a stud #1 receiver? Probably not. We can probably win a Superbowl without one. We are pretty damned deep and our offense is pretty electric already.

But if we could somehow steal a stud wideout from somewhere it would make things easier and could very well make our offense unstoppable.

The only question then becomes; what price is worthwhile? Because I sure don't want to have to wave bye-bye to Shaun Philips or Kris Dielman or someone like that in order to bring in a receiver when our current corps is serviceable.

21. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    We essentially have 4 possession type receivers. Quite frankly VJ and Floyd are big but they really don't use their height all that well. They always seem to be falling away from the ball instead of going up for it. (They a coulple nice grabs but nothing consistent)

We need a speed receiver but we can't pay too much to get one. Next offseason a nice free agent pickup would be welcome. If not, AJ has to steal one in the draft in the 3rd or 4th round.

22. mapcap55

mapcap55 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +66
    Rivers does not appear to be a "favorite receiver" kind of QB. I think that this is the key to his success. instead of looking to force it into one guy, Philip looks for the open man, it makes him harder to nail down for Dbs.

That being said, a big time receiver would be nice, but someone already made the point that this team is pretty good at scoring without one.

23. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    Since the topic asks "do we need a big time WR?" the answer is no. But a speedster, stretch-the-field guy is what people want. A guy like Kevin Curtis or Az Hakim (in his prime) would work well I think. And if the Rams could get a guy like Curtis in the later rounds, I'm sure AJ can too. To me, a probowler at safety or guard would be more important. A stud NT or ILB would be good too, but a 1st or 2nd round pick for (hopefully) a longterm backup for Jamal is kinda a waste. Plus I have high hopes for Wilhelm, Cooper, Dobbins, (and Polk?) to be our future at ILB. I personally hope AJ can find a fast WR in FA that'll fill that hole like with McCree, because if the Chargers are to be in dynasty mode i want guys who can contribute sooner rather than three years to prove themselves.

24. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +108
    Ive been saying this for so long. The reason why Rivers doesnt have a "favorite receiver" is because we dont have one that is always reliable to get open. We need a speed receiver, not a big time receiver. A wr screen for a td is what we are missing from our receivers.

25. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,888
    while he spreads the ball around as well as Manning and Brady, one big time receiver would be a boon to the team (would open things up for Gates and LT and vice versa), but my only question is "do we have one already?" There's been lots of talk about Jackson and/or Floyd becoming a #1, and I think before we spend a #1 on Ginn or Johnson or the Shark (unless thanks to turner we have an extra 1 ya know :icon_wink: ) it'd behoove us to take a long look at our current crop and see what happens

• Like Like x 1
  26. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,727
    We already have our #1 recieving weapon.

His name is Lorenzo Neil. F'n Duh.

:icon_rofl:

27. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156

Jackson and Floyd had a great chance to show something last week with Keenan out. They didn't bring it. Floyd seems to me like a practice player and not a gamer, but that is just my opinion and I hope I am wrong. Jackson is a possession guy for sure. We need a burner in the mix. Take a superstar if one is available but as many said a cheaper decent speed receiver should work just fine.

28. RMANCIL

RMANCIL Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223
    Brilliant...simply brilliant this is why I love this board.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,727
    :icon_toast:

me too