1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Do we sit the starters if we win the division?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Trumpet_Man, Dec 6, 2007.

?

Do we sit the starters in some manner when we win the division ?

Poll closed Dec 20, 2007.
  1. YES

22.2%
  2. NO

61.1%
  3. DUDE - YOU ARE STILL A DICK FOR DOING ANOTHER WORTHLESS POLL

16.7%
  1. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Poll time.

If we clinch the division, should we consider sitting the starters in some fashion?

YES OR NO ?

Consider the starters could play a half and if the team is leading, the starters can rest the second half and we can play the backups. Maybe we can play them one quarter regardless and then sit down the starters.

There are an infinite number of combos here.

Again, do we want to protect the starters or is it "damn the torpedos and full speed ahead" ?

This question was bugging me so I thought I would ask and get a feel for what is the forum's consensus.

2. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    they should play. It's not like they look like they can take a break. Maybe rest them if we're winning by 5 td's in the fourth. The team isn't in playoff shape yet, ****, they haven't even made the playoffs yet. I say, damn the torpedos, full speed ahead. And remember, we need 9 straight and mnf victory!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Obviously, we do not want to go into the playoffs COLD.

I suspect a healthy balance or medium can be struck where the players get in their reps yet are pulled judiciously.

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    yes, big ones like LT/Rivers/Jamal Williams etc get rested

5. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    With the way this team has played, I think you have to have everyone in and continue to improve. Being on a roll headed into the Playoffs is very important. Clearly, players of questionable health should be held out, but everyone else should be in there battling.

Even if we clinch the division, we still have something to strive for: the #3 seed. Getting the #3 seed would mean that, should Pittsburgh upset the Pats, the Chargers would have a shot at hosting the AFC Championship.

6. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Give the guys who are banged up a rest with a bye. Play some of the back ups for experience and evaluation if we're stomping someone, but the starters otherwise have to play most of the time. They haven't shown that they can consistently cope with play off teams yet and wins are still important even after we've clinched the division because they affect our relative position in the play off pecking order. I am still not satisfied that they have learned to really put someone away in the fourth quarter if that team is a legitimate comeback threat. If we were 9-2 and had been knocking people off all the time, maybe it would be different, but the Chargers haven't earned any time off yet. They still have not displayed that edge that a team poised to make a run in the playoffs needs. That's especially true of Rivers, who needs to work with the starting receivers as much as ever and needs the starting line to be effective.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +345
    If we win the division, and there is no reason to continue to win, by that I mean, for seeding... (of course we want to win every game regardless) but I'd like to see more substituting of 2nd and 3rd string players, get them some minutes, rest our straters, but let them play enough to keep loose for the playoffs...

8. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654

We could be on a roll just as well with the back ups in exciting close games or blow outs.

Getting the AFC Championship at home has proven historically to mean ****. If I remember the stat I read, it was around 35%-40% of the time, the home team for the AFC Championship game won. AJ Smith was commenting on this stat....it was in a recent UT article.

9. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    These were my thoughts as well.

I am not real keen on the damn the torpedos full speed ahead mentality ala the Patriots because as we are seeing, those dudes are burning out.

10. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    NO, the playoffs start now... they need to get onna role...

• Like Like x 1
  11. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    You play them and let them stay hot.

I have not seen a team that sits it starters do well in the playoffs, at least I cant remember a team. Play them.

12. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Zactly!

13. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    they already had their 5 bye games... :lol:

besides, let's be honest here, they still have a bunch of chiat they need to work on... and the coaches are just now "getting it".... if they were playing like the teams in front of us, I'd might say yes, but they haven't proven squat yet... eye of the tiger *man*...

14. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942

Well, it will mean something to me.

15. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288
    I say sit Hart starting THIS week, dude needs all the rest he can get :yes: :lol:

16. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    After this week, we do not have any playoff type teams to prove anything against (Lions, Broncos, Raiders). If one of these teams stood out as playoff caliber, I might agree but given the balance of the schedule, I see pre-season football games at best.

Maybe I am being too mother hen-ish in protecting the boyz but my gut says otherwise. I want the best recipe to get us the Lombardi and if it means giving the starters a rest for the final push, my gut says "do it".

As far as Rivers getting in synch, let him do it for two or three quarters a game and then sit. I really want to see Volek and Whitehurst get some reps. If Rivers goes down (god forbid in the playoffs), Whitehurst is now number two and I think that would illicit a bunch of colons to get tightened. :yes: I like Whitehurst but he needs some gameday reps. I would feel a whole hell of a lot better seeing our backup QB's both get some reps before we start waltzing around in the playoffs.

17. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    play them until we secure a bye week

:tup:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Pfffft....we could be the first 8-8 team in history to win the Super Bowl. :lol:

19. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    If we've clinched the division and can't improve our seeding vs Oakland, I say start the backups.

20. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Me as well but in terms of a statistical advantage, it did not mean dick. The Home team lost most of the time.

I found that fact disturbing and somewhat of a challenge to give mother fate a big middle finger and say "bring it" to our house. :yes: :bolt:

21. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Now you're talking!

That stat is wierd.

22. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    I agree with this.

When we clinch the Division, our next goal should be to improve or maintain as high a seed as possible.

If Oakland doesn't present us with an opportunity to lose or gain in seeding, then we sit the starters and let them take a look at our first round opponent.

23. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    You need your starters to be on a roll, not your backups. Until these guy consistently play well, I want them in there improving. **** the stats. Hosting the AFC Championship game is an advantage worth having.

24. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    If it means beating the PATRIOTS in their house versus having an AFC Championship game here, I would rather see us knock off the Patriots there. That would be payback in their casa and sweet revenge.

Having the championship game here, deprives us of that payback until next year (at least I am pretty sure that is the way it unfolds).

25. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    I thought Volek was the number 2. :icon_huh:

26. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    If Rivers goes down, Volek is now number one and Whitehurst is number two.

If this happens in the playoffs, Whitehurst will not have had any reps whatsoever and he will be our number two. This small possibility is knawing away at me right now when I know it could be somewhat remedied.

I hate to think this way but our bases are not entirely covered.

27. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    I think he means that if Rivers gets hurt, Volek then becomes the starter and Charlie is the #2 guy.

EDIT: Didn't see your response when I wrote this. Sorry!

28. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    The ONLY player I’d sit is Jamal. He could use the rest to get closer to 100%, and it gives PT to the backups.

IMO you can’t sit LT. The line is just starting to get that badass attitude, we need to continue to improve the run-blocking.

I also don’t want to sit any of the WR’s. Philip Rivers needs to elevate his game for the postseason, he needs all the work he can get with all of the offensive starters.

29. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    No worries.

I am a little puzzled Chargers fans are not more concerned about the lack of reps for Whitey. I understand the team has not really come together but I sort of like the fact we have been sand-bagging and not flashing any exotic offensive sets - yet. It feels like a trap that is set and ready to be sprung on the fanbase and by that I mean that the best is yet to come - by design.

30. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    I pretty much agree with this. I would sit Castillo as well or any other guy struggling with injury.

Would be nice to have Castillo at a 100% for the playoffs.