1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Do we want to take a step backward?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by reddenedbeard, Jan 16, 2007.

1. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I know we are all disappointed in the Chargers lost and a lot of people are calling for Schottenheimer's head. Honestly I'm on the fence and see both sides of the issue.

Curious though .. Is this the time to be looking for a new coach? This is a Franchise that hadn't been to the playoffs since 1995 before Schottenheimer came to this organization. We had a history of losing and some obvious bad draft picks. Since he has been hired we see a new attitude from the players and we have been to the playoffs twice out of the last 3 years. We had the best record in the NFL this season.

Granted, someone needs to take the blame and I guess the easiest person to give that to is Schottenheimer .. I guess my main concern in firing the HC is taking a step backwards rather than taking that next step. Maybe he should have another year.

I really believe the players are going to be hungry next year especially how this one ended this year.

Anyway, just some thoughts .. :icon_shrug:

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,827
    I think we should all avoid calling for peoples heads for at least two weeks. Some, like Parker88fan, maybe two months.... ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    I don't remember taking a step back when Boss Ross came in and we went 11-5 his first year after being something like 4-12 the year before.

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,727
    I see your point, but IMO, I don't wanna go through this again. With Marty running the show, chances are we'll be right back here again, same time, discussing the same exact thing.

I'd much rather be talking about playing in the AFC Championship game.

5. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    True .. but bringing in a coach when the team is 4-12 is a lot different than bringing in a coach when the team is just 14-2. Ross didn't have the same sort of pressure or expectation that anyone we would hire now ..

6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,827
    And? Who in the hell are you?

Why you want the staff fired is beyond me. Why anyone of you football mensas are calling for the head of a coach who just lead the team to its best season ever amazes me.

Hell I am thinkin aobut firing some of you idgits right now... ;)

7. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    FIRE MARTY !!!

8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,827
    AND? If you think a fan who is happy with the IMPROVEMENTS this team has been making is a loser, then you have mental issues.

9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,827
    FIRE Fair Weather Trumpie!!!

:lol:

10. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Look, the one and only reason that Marty should stay is so these players can pay him his due... they owe him big time for this horrible performance. Hart, Florence, Olivea, McCree, Parker, Jackson, Rivers... anyone who was responsible for a mistake during this game needs to charge through Dean's door and beg for Marty to stay.

I've given this a lot of thought. I do not want Marty to go right now. He did not lose this game. The players did and they owe him another season.

And if he does return, these players better not even plan on taking a vacation. Get your *** into the complex every single day. You work 8 hours a day (or more...god forbid) on getting better and proving to Marty that you are truly sorry for putting him in this position.

I know I could get flamed for this position, but I've reconsidered how I feel about Marty's job performance on Sunday. He did enough to put those players in a position to succeed... and they let him down.

That's just how I see it.

11. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    I know I'm relatively new to posting in here but this kind of thing shocks me from you .. I've been listening to podcasts since almost when they started and it is obvious your enthusiasm for this team ..

This just seems like a complete 180 from where you have been all year ..

12. mapcap55

mapcap55 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +66
    Dean Spanos said this preseason that he expected to go deep into the playoffs.

That was before the team went 14-2.

Doncha think that he was expecting, at the very least, a superbowl appearance with the best record in the NFL?

In the end 14-2 is nice and all but settling for anything less than a superbowl win (especially when a team does as well in the regular season) is thinking like a loser.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,827
    You are correct, but our local fair weather football mensas have other plans. They are more than happy to throw the baby out with the bath water, claiming 'ANYTHING BUT A RING IS A FAILURE!" Like the Chargers have 10 superbowl championships under their belts. They are more than willing to DESTROY any continuity this team has, to see them have to start from scratch so they can fell better because 'their coach' (Whom they will turn on in a hart beat) is now coaching the team to mediocrity.

Yeah that is what our local football mensas want, new systems and mediocrity. Man, they know thier stuff dont they?

:drama:

14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,827
    Hey if you thin Marty got Drayton's 15 yard penalty, or you think Marty could not cover the Pats receivers to save his life you got a point.

Marty had this team in position to win. The players gave us the loss. FIRE THE PLAYERS!

15. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Did you ever wonder if maybe the players stuck it to Marty and gave him his due ? They may just do it all over again to get some attentions.

FIRE THIS MOTHER FUGGER !!!!

Everyone knew Marty needed to go DEEP in the playoffs and it did not happen.

FUC him. He had his chance. FUC HIM in the heart. The crusty old bastard can go to fuc-king hell. :icon_evil:

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,827
    Trumpie is a flip flopper. He will turn on anyone at any time. Ya gotta let him be him.

17. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I have been Marty's biggest defender but I also said he needed to go deep or he is out. I am not changing that position.

We went 14-2 and then one and out so it is what it is.

Marty must be fired. The players had their chance to get the gorilla off Marty''s back. The players did not decide to go for it on 4th and 11 in the first quarter when facing a 47 yard fg and how many points did we lose by again? 3

Fire Marty's candyass NOW. I mean right fah-king NOW. I trust AJ will be able to get someone who will light the entire league up so time to do it. Screw it. I have had it with Marty. I am finished defending him. He has to go. :helm1:

18. bravo3g

bravo3g BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Like I said before......They need to offer Jimmie Johnson a sweet deal. He has the coaching skills to turn this young team into a dynasty

19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,827
    Hey NB... Why do yo have a picture of Leisure for your avatar?:icon_rofl:

20. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,827
    I dont think Jimmy would be all of that. There are no more Hershal Wlaker trades out there to turn a team around instantly. he has also turned the job down twice before.

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,827
    It is the football mensas like you who would see this team return to mediocrity. So you go girl! Dance that jig!

22. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    14-2 is hardly mediocrity.

23. bravo3g

bravo3g BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    I think this team ALREADY has the talent to be Super Bowl champs.....they just need a fresh start. Maybe the answer is to let Marty have one more shot at it but I just have a sick feling that the loss of key players and injuries will be our downfall next season. Morale plays a big part in winning and I think a new coach could be the boost the Chargers need

24. mapcap55

mapcap55 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +66
    Marty wasted the timeout on an obviously futile challenge that could have given us more time to get into the endzone for the win or a little closer for Kaeding to tie it up... but you are right, that penalty by Florence was atrocious:icon_evil: