1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

DO YOU RESIGN QB BILLY VOLEK ???????????????

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Trumpet_Man, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    NOTEBOOK: Volek wants to start, stay
    By Kevin Acee

Monday, January 3, 2011 at 7:12 p.m.

Billy Volek wants to be a starting quarterback, has been a starter and believes he’s better than some of the guys who end up starting at the position in the NFL.

But he wants to continue being on the same team as Philip Rivers, who if all goes according to plan will start every Chargers game for at least the next five seasons.

“I absolutely love being a Charger,” Volek said yesterday. “Hopefully, I’ll be back here ... Philip and I have a good chemistry. We work well together. I want to go play. I miss playing. I don’t want Philip to get hurt, but if it happens I want my chance to go out there and show people what I can do. San Diego is not a bad place to live. I enjoy coming to work every day.”

Volek, who started eight games for the Tennessee Titans in 2004 and directed the game-winning drive in the Chargers’ divisional-round victory in Indianapolis in the 2007 postseason, just finished a three-year contract that paid him $9 million to be the Chargers' backup quarterback. The Chargers value the fact Volek has been in this system for five seasons and in the league since 2000. They don’t want to have to start over with a backup.

“We want Billy here, and he's been great, he's great for Philip,” head coach Norv Turner said. “We all sleep better at night knowing if something happened (Volek) would be ready to go play."

While speaking passionately of his desire to remain conjoined to Rivers and play in San Diego, Volek also exhibited an understanding of the business side of his situation.

“It’s a quarterback-hungry league,” Volek said. “I know my agent is very excited about it … Right now, the ball is in the San Diego Chargers’ court.”

Gates could play another game

It doesn’t matter now, obviously, but tight end Antonio Gates confirmed he was ready to go had the Chargers’ season been extended into the playoffs.

“I would have played – 100 percent chance,” Gates said. “I know me. I know how I felt going into this last game. The rest I’ve had was critical to me being able to play in the playoffs.”

Gates’ last game was Dec. 5 against the Oakland Raiders. It was decided the next week that he would shut down his injured right foot for the regular season in hopes of being healthy enough to play in the postseason should the Chargers qualify. He was placed on Injured Reserve last week after the Chargers were eliminated from the playoff race.

Now Gates and the Chargers will confer on whether he does have one more “game” in him this month – the Jan. 30 Pro Bowl.

Players on IR generally are not allowed to play in the Pro Bowl. But Gates could play because was not on IR at the time of balloting.

“If I can get in a position where I can still run and be healthy without it looking a certain way at the same time,” Gates said. “I’ll meet with Norv. We’ve still got an ongoing progress with the rehab.”

Jackson speaks, sort of

Wide receiver Vincent Jackson, who played in the equivalent of 3½ games and made 14 catches for 248 yards and three touchdowns after a lengthy contract dispute, spoke briefly on his way out of the locker room Monday.

Asked if he think he'll be back, he said. "I have no idea."

Asked if wanted to continue playing for the Chargers, he replied: "Yep."

Asked his thoughts on having the franchise tag placed on him, he said, "I’m not going to get into that."

Asked how his time here this season was, Jackson said, "Awesome."

Rivers to Hawaii
    After skipping his first four opportunities to play in the Pro Bowl, three times due to injury and once to attend to the birth of a baby, Philip Rivers will play in the all-star game this year.

Rivers said he is "looking forward to it, being around the guys, the best players in the league."

Find this article at:
    NOTEBOOK: Volek wants to start, stay - SignOnSanDiego.com

2. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Consider this fan SOLD on Billy Volek. I wanted AJ to get this guy when he was on the Titans and bam, A.J. delivered.

I spoke with one of Billy Voleks agents a few weeks ago. I thought the agent was pulling my leg until they played the voice mail left on the agents cell phone. Oh and the guy said "this is Billy Volek" on the message. I am thinking "cool" and if all plays out, I will get to meet Billy and family personally. Maybe I can get Billy to do the podcast interview thing? I will try if the opportunity presents itself.

Anyway, this is one of the FIRST free agents the Chargers need to sign as an insurance policy against Rivers going down.

AJ - SIGN BILLY VOLEK NOW !!!

3 YEARS FOR $10-11 MILLION

DO IT !!!

3. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    I'd rather have Alex Smith myself...we know what Billy's best is (playoff game at Indy), we haven't seen the best of Alex Smith, and I think Norv is the guy to get it.

4. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60
    I'd be perfectly happy is Volek was re-signed, solid veteran backup. Just dont bring back JT O Sullivan as third string, get a young guy outta college.

5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,460
    "Volek wants to start, stay"?

Sorry, dude, you can't do both.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Uhhhh... It is ACEE who puts that thought in your head.

Volek says he is content to "start" if Rivers gets hurt (not that Volek wishes Rivers to get hurt).

7. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Billy Volek is like 10th on my list of key players to sign or re-sign. But sure, I'm in favor of him coming back at a decent price. *yawn*

8. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    RESIGN or RE-SIGN ?

9. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    RE-SIGN.

10. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +508
    Billy is laughing all the way to the bank. He'll never see the field unless our 17 gets injured. Stick around, play golf, live in a beautiful city, never see snow etc, and make off like a bandit on 2-3m a year. I'm so wanting us to find a younger version though.

11. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    A veteran backup QB is critical. Lock him up.

12. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,046
    How many starting QBs (real or potentially) are on the market this year? How many are thought of in higher regard than our guy?

13. Lightning

Lightning Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    The problem being that Billy is going to want starting money for being a backup. He said it himself and Whitehurst was proof that a "good" QB is in demand or seattle wouldn't have taken him. So, that means less money for other positions of more need IMO. Other than being the "colt killer" for one game, I think there are other options.

14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Carpe Diem et omni Mundio Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +3,016
    It basically means that Volek is in a tough tug of war that he needs to decide - does he want to take his chances trying to start when feasibly this is his last shot ever at starting or does he want to stay in a good situation like the one he is in?

Only he can answer that but i'd be all for resigning Volek to keep him here until he retires

• Like Like x 1
  15. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +815
  16. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +512
    QB's:

Rivers & re-sign Volek for 2 years 6 million, bring in a rookie FA after the draft or keep Leg's as #3 if he stays

RB's:

Mathews & pay Tolbert 4 years 16 million, let Sproles go cause the money is needed on the Beef and D, use Brinkley or draft one with our only day 2 pick this year

WR's:

Franchise VJ, make him prove himself for 3/4 of the season next year on and off the field then give him the money, sign Floyd if we can get him for 4 years 22 million, if he wants 25+ let him go, we got Crayton for one more year, Leg's is borderline to me, I'm cool with keeping or dropping, sign Kelley Washington 3 years 10 million, and keep Tutu as the project

TE's:

Gates & re-sign McMichael 3 years 18 million, and keep Sperry, kid showed some hands, teach him to block and he'll be fine, Wilson got Rivers killed in the last game and dropped too many this season, time to go.

OL:

McNeil, Dielman, Hardwick, Vazquez, and re-sign Clary as a backup RT if he'll sign for cheap otherwise can him. Let Dombo take over RT for next year. Draft a RT in the first or second this year and coach him up. Sign Mruc again for cheap as a solid backup. No problem with them drafting a big center as well.

DL:

Castillo, Garay, re-sign Cesaire for cheap to backup DE or can him if he wont sign. Draft first or second round a big pounding DE. Coach him up and get him out there. Re-sign Travis as a backup again.

LB's:

This ones gonna hurt. Sign Burnett, Barnes, and Siler to deals. Try and sign Coop if you can get him on the cheap but I think everyone saw him get slower this year, love the guy and his heart but he cant keep up. Butler will get the start next to Kevin this year. Draft a fast pass rushing LB in the second or third this year. And PLEASE AJ, make a run at Tamba Hali. I am so tired of him whipping our tackles and getting to Philip, lets set him lose on the opposition. Pay him the money Merriman wanted.

CB's:

Starting two are set, Cason performed far better this year than I thought he would. Not sure if Strickland will stay around but Hughes looked serviceable at Nickel. We need to draft one, but probably wont do it until round three. Hey Cromartie and D-Flo are FA's???? Didnt think so hahaha

SS/FS:

Sign Weddle, pay him 5 years 28 million. Sign Oliver as a backup, good ball hawking skills, but we need a new Safety badly, Gregory and Oliver wont cut it as the starter and I havent seen enough of Stuckey to know if he's ready to step up. I would love to go get a solid FA Safety but the only good ones are going to be re-signed for sure, so that leaves us to draft another but no idea what pick we are going to use.

Hopefully A.J. gets a little more active in FA this year as he knows he screwed the pooch this year and was part of the reason wee not in the playoffs. We have 5 or possibly even 6 picks on day one this year, he better use them wisely (1st round: OL/DL 2nd round: DL/OL Cromartie pick 2 or 3: OLB/Safety 3rd round: Safety/OLB & CB 4th round: Backup RB\QB\OL\DL No more picks unless we get a comp)

And yes I know I didnt talk about the kickers but we all know Nate the Great and Big Mike will be back next year and that they will bring in a camp fodder kicker and punter to save their legs.