1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think Larry English and Vaugh Martin will make an impact on the D!!!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by luckeystar6, May 23, 2009.

1. luckeystar6

luckeystar6 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    After looking at highlight reel of Larry English The guy is pretty good. Great edge rusher, remind me of Ray Lewis type guy nice but vicious on the field.

2. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Yeah Ray Lewis is a real nice guy...

.....(So long as he and his boys don't murder me)

3. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    I expect English to make an immediate impact and Martin to be more and more involved throughout the season.

4. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    English will have a damn good season, but I'm gunna call Martin one of the defensive steals from this years draft.

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Larry might, just depends how much of the field he can see with merriman and Phillips in front of him.

Martin, I'm not expecting too much. He's just so damn raw that its hard to imagine he's going to do anything 'big' or 'impressive', but who knows.

6. luckeystar6

luckeystar6 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    When you mean raw u mean as talent and experience wise right??

7. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I expect English to get 8-10 sacks only because we need as much pressure as we can get, and the coaches will have no excuse to sit him.

I expect you to rarely hear Martins name called as a rookie, because like all rookies they'll coddle him until they think he's ready to push another human being off the LOS. Because god knows it takes a year to learn how to shove someone.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    i mean experience wise - canada isn't even I-AA level, so he has no real experience in the american game. So he has alot to learn - and with that, that might be too much and too far to come from to make a big difference on a super bowl calibur team

9. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    "Impact" might be a bit strong. I expect English to contribute. He'll get some sacks, make some good plays and some rookie mistakes. The team will be better for having him but he won't be a major factor in turning the D around this year. Too young, too inexperienced, not enough of a physical freak.

Vaugh Martin fill some gaps but if he get's playing time I expect that it will be because we're in between a rock and a hard place. If that's the case he will make some big time mistakes. So, yes, if Vaugh Martin plays I expect him to make an impact. A negative one.

10. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I know the arresting officer. :yes: He was a college buddy of mine. If Ray had only told the truth but he decided to lie. That is what I got out of the conversation with my amigo from yester year.

11. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Yes on English, no on Martin.

Martin's a project. ANYTHING he contributes as a rookie is an unexpected plus.

12. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    This season will hinge ALL on Vaughn Martin (watch eyes pop on that one). If he knocks it out of the park, we win it all.

If he is a project, then this year will be another 1 or 2 and out in the playoffs. Our DE's and depth right now are not what we need to push it over the top.

AJ needs to get us a starter DE or the 3-4 will suffer and for the worse.

13. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Then we wait. The guy can have all the physical tools in the world but he will turn our D into swiss cheese unless he can perform in the role he is given. Shat... there are U.S. high school teams that could give Big Bubba Martin from Moosefart, Ontario a better run for his money than the handfull of dick-weed Cannucks who couldn't make the junior college hockey team.

14. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    A.J. needs to get us a DE before the season starts.

I would add a STARTING RT and depth along the O&D Lines but that is another story.

To compete deep we need linemen fat fucs who can deliver. :bolt:

15. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Truth.

16. Bagman

Bagman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Vicious is gonna surprise some folks. And you'll see a good amount of SP, SM, & English on the field at the same time.

I fully expect English, Vasquez, Johnson, & Martin to have a positive impact on the team this season.

As for Martin's steep learning curve - sit back & be pleasantly surprised, Charger fans.

RT is my biggest concern going into the summer.

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    This year's D is gonna rock. Hard. :yes:

18. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Does this mean your finally losing your erection over clinton hart? If so THANK GOD!

19. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Vaughn Martin will win DROY

20. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    He IS a project, and we've got a very good shot at going deep into the playoffs and maybe the SB, of course we need the ball to bounce our way and hopefully no major injuries. It is going to be a great year to be a fan!

Don't get me wrong, I also hope that Martin has a big impact this year, but I'd be surprised.

21. Bagman

Bagman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    You will be - quite pleasantly, I believe. :icon_toast:

22. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    :abq1: I hope so! :abq1:

23. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    We'll see, and I would love it.

24. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    i dont know. Does anybody think that Merriman contributed his rookie season? If English was half that good that would be enough for me!