1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Dobbins a starter?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltmanbz, Aug 31, 2007.

1. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    after Dobbins play this preseaon anyone else think he has a good shot to start?

2. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    He has no chance to start unless there's an injury.

3. HeatMiser

HeatMiser BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    I like Dobbins a lot, but he is not ready to start. At best, right now he is running downs player who needs to come off the field if the ball will be thrown.

4. oldschool1

oldschool1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    His pass coverage is clearly inferior to Wilhelm's.

So, the answer is no.

[​IMG]

Oldie Out

5. Rule12b

Rule12b Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +116
    Agreed. He has been all over the place in the last two games.

6. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Roach, Waters, Siler and maybe even Tucker should make the team. I think that has to happen even at the cost of Harris and Polk, but that's easy for me-my job ain't on the line. I would also have given the first string defense more time before the season started. Dobbins reminds me of Mike Singletarry. If he can become adept at pass coverage he will be a beast.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Roach we ahve to see about his injury
    Tucker for sure I'd put him on the practice squad
    Waters and Siler certainly have made the team

8. oldschool1

oldschool1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    Harris is too valuable, he proved that during Merriman's suspension last season.

With the removal of Merriman's sack dance, Harris's somersault is a welcome replacement.

Oldie Out

9. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    FU I was the first person to pimp him anywhere. Northwestern is one of my faves :abq2:

10. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    Any chance Harris could be backup for both OLB spots so we could save some of the guys in the middle? Or move some of the guys from the middle to OLB, where they would have to be as good as Polk ever has been? I'd hate to see us lose a young playmaker with upside to keep Polk around.

11. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Harris needs to be on this team. :yes: :bolt:

12. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    If they IR Roach, then there is some space. I can't remember any team this good, especially one this young, having so many late decisions about roster positions ever. This draft was a work of art. The Chargers have hit on every draft choice despite drafting near the end of the rounds. They even have a number of very useful players among the UFDA's. It's possible that more than half of the guys we talk about for the PS will clear waivers. Some other teams are probably looking at the scraps from AJ's table like it's the buffet at a country club.

13. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    Jyles Tucker is 265 lbs. so he's big enough to play OLB. He also played D-line early in Wake Forest, so maybe he can rush the passer. Of all the guys mentioned, him and my boy Waters would have the best chance. Roach is kinda short (6'0.5'') to be a OLB in a 3-4 defense, but he played OLB in the 4-3, so maybe he could too. Siler is a Godfrey clone, as is Dobbins, so those guys would almost have to be MLBs or special teamers, but nothing else.

14. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    Yeah I would think a couple of them would fit outside at least as well as Polk, who is kinda a misfit at OLB anyway. Hopefully he's a cut.