1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Dobbins might start over Wilhelm

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Another lineup change has partially occurred and will likely continue to evolve.
    Tim Dobbins played more than he ever has at inside linebacker with Matt Wilhelm healthy. And he appeared to play so superbly that it seemed he was in there more than the 23 plays that he was.
    “It was actually quiet,” Dobbins said of his experience being so “tuned in” Sunday in Denver that he couldn't even hear the crowd.
    He was where he needed to be and made more than a couple of standout plays.
    Now the Chargers are going to use him even more.
    “We're going to give Tim a chance to play,” said coach Norv Turner.
    Turner declined to say whether Dobbins would start over Wilhelm, but he indicated changes are in the works.
    Dobbins is practicing more with the first team this week than last, and it is certainly possible if Dobbins keeps playing soundly that he eventually would replace Wilhelm.
    While Wilhelm continues to seem tentative, Dobbins takes hits to blockers. Always a striker and built perfectly (6 feet 1, 246 pounds) for an inside linebacker, Dobbins attributes his improvement to increased study.
    “Studying, understanding defensive concepts, meeting more with Ron (Rivera, the inside linebackers coach),” Dobbins explained. “It's clicked. Now I know what everybody is doing.”
    He traces his turnaround to almost exactly a year before Sunday's game. It was in New England last Sept. 16, with Wilhelm injured, that Dobbins was exposed as unprepared to play in this defense.
    “That was the wackest performance in my life,” he said. “Ever since that game I have vowed never ever to be as lame as I was. Ever. I let my teammates down, let my coaches down.”
    A year later, the only thing at which Wilhelm appears to be superior is pass coverage, which is why he could continue to play numerous snaps until Stephen Cooper returns from suspension after the Oakland game.

By Kevin Acee

2. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I want Dobbins and Cooper in there... that might work...

• Like Like x 1
  3. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    I'm happy for Tim. When he first came in I think we all said "WOW" that kid is tough and fast. He kinda faded away for the last year or two, playing solid Special Teams but nothing special at LB. This off-season I heard he was working hard to crack the lineup and he looked great in camp. We were on the Chargers Fan Cruise with him this year and he and some of his friends just plopped down with us at our table and played Bingo with us and bought us some drinks. Got a chance to talk to him a little. Seems like a really good guy. Very quiet. Very focused. Hopefully he brings the wood at MLB that Wilhelm the Brain doesnt seem as capable of.

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Didn't we do Cooper and Dobbins last year? The problem is that their both thumpers, neither are all that great in coverage

5. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Thank god. :yes:

6. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    What we need right now is better run support and obviously a better pass rush. If we neutralize the run like we use to, then we make them completely 1 dimensional and we can come after the QB more aggressively.

7. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15