1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Dobbins receives full load in OCS’s

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, May 9, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Wednesday, May 09, 2007
    By Casey Pearce, Chargers.com

After spending much of his time watching, listening and learning a year ago, linebacker Tim Dobbins has had little time to simply be an observer this week during the Chargers’ first round of Offseason Coaching Sessions.

“They’re running me to death and I love it,” Dobbins said. “I can’t get enough. No matter how much I’m doing, I never feel like it’s enough. I always want to do more.”

Due to NFL policy, rookies are not allowed to join their teams for any activity other than a Mini camp until May 15. <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:p></O:p>That leaves just three inside linebackers available for defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell this week with Dobbins serving as the only reserve to both Stephen Cooper and Matt Wilhelm.

Dobbins spoke with a sense of excitement and confidence Wednesday as he discussed what this spring has been like for the former Iowa State Cyclone. Playing behind four veterans, Dobbins didn’t see much action on defense in 2006. This spring, he’s playing both inside linebacker positions and feeling very confident.

“I speak the language now,” Dobbins said. “I didn’t feel lost last year, but everything was new to me and it took some time to adjust. I hadn’t ever played in a defense like ours before. I still mess up from time to time in practice, but that’s the only way you get better. I understand what’s going on now. It’s just been fun for me.”

Being a spectator last season was challenging for Dobbins, who had never before had to wait his turn. He started all four years in college, two at Copiah-Lincoln Junior College and two at Iowa State, and he was named All-Big XII both seasons in Ames.

“I’d always been the man wherever I’d played,” Dobbins said. “I came to a team with a lot of veterans who were good players. Matt and Coop talked to me about being patient. They had to wait their turn and now look where they are. I just tried to learn as much as I could. Now I’m going to get more of a chance to play and I’m going to make sure I’m ready.”

Although he didn’t see a ton of snaps with the defense, Dobbins did make an impact as a rookie. He finished third on the team in special teams tackles with 18, just four behind team leader Clinton Hart. The highlight of his rookie year came in the season finale against Arizona when he recovered a muffed punt in the end zone for a touchdown.

“Any time I get a chance to get on the field, I’m going to give it all I’ve got,” Dobbins said. “Special teams was kind of new to me, but I enjoyed it. I’m sure I’m going to get a lot of chances on kicks this year, too.”

Dobbins’ sense of confidence comes in part from a sense of comfort. As he enters year two of his NFL career, he does so with teammates that he can trust and guys who now know that he is trustworthy.

“When you first get here, guys don’t have any reason to respect you,” Dobbins said. “You have to earn their respect. Everyone has seen me work for a year now. They know what I’m all about. I’m one of the guys now. I’m just going to do whatever I can to help and I’m going to have fun doing it.”

http://www.chargers.com/news/headlines/dobbins-receives-full.htm

2. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288
    Good article:tup:

I'm expecting to see some good things from Dobbins this year :yes:

3. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Dobbins is a beast. He reminds me of singletary.

4. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Even if Dobbins doesn't start, I expect him to get significant playing time on a rotational basis.

He'll have a good year. :tup:

5. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Good. I hope he does well and fills up our LB corps. Although, I don't really know much about him:unsure:

6. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    hopefully..he'll play like singletary:yes: :yes: someday

7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I can't wait to see him crush someone.

8. titanfan24

titanfan24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +77
    That's my homeboy right there. Straight from "the cliff" to the pros. Keep doing your thing Timmy.