1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Dobbins signs 1-year deal with Chargers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

SAN DIEGO (AP)

Apr 19, 2010

San Diego Chargers inside linebacker Tim Dobbins has signed a one-year contract worth $1,176,000.
    He had been a restricted free agent.

Dobbins started two of the 14 games he played in last year, finishing with 57 tackles, one sack, an interception and a forced fumble.

Dobbins' signing leaves the Chargers with five unsigned restricted free agents. They are wide receivers Vincent Jackson and Malcom Floyd, tackle Marcus McNeill, outside linebacker Shawne Merriman[​IMG] and defensive end Travis Johnson. Exclusive rights free agent Antwan Applewhite, a linebacker, also has not yet signed a contract.

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
  3. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    Nice to see us starting to sign some more players up...but I would be alot more excited to see the signing of a genuine starter for our team...and not just a glorified back-up!!:icon_shrug:

Whats taking so long AJ? If you a serious about keeping these guys on the roster...sign them up already!!:icon_twisted:

4. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    It's not AJ. The players.

5. Cap_City_Guy

Cap_City_Guy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Maybe I'm just a cheap bastard, but I think this is a little much for him. I like Dobbins but I would have preferred to sign him for at least 2 yrs. Glad he is staying though at least for another year.

6. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    He is waiting until after the draft. Just in case we get a phone call.

7. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    This has nothing to do with AJ, these are just the restricted free agent tenders AJ placed on them. So really it's all up to the player to decide when he wants to sign, the team really can't do anything about it. The only thing they can do is remove the tender, then the player becomes a free agent.

Either that or work on a long term deal.

As long as the player doesn't sign, then he isn't under contract and can do as he pleases(can skip TC, Pre-season, entire season, without a fine) , once he signs the tender he has to show up to mandatory practices (TC etc.) or risk a fine, because he is then under contract.

8. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Only started 2 games, played in only 14 games and yet has more tackles than Merriman? Trade Cooper and put Dobbins and Siler as the starters!

9. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    They play different positions (Merriman and Dobbins). I mean Dobbins and Ware had the same amount of tackles.

10. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60
    Glad hes coming back, good player, backup or not.:tup:

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Nice - looking forward to seeing you in bolts again this year, Tim. :tup:

12. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Yeah, I am not a big fan of the one year thing either. I am not going to be happy if VJ and McNeil go into the year on a one year deal, and will be out right pissed if Sproles is on this team on a one year deal. He either needs to be signed long term, which is unlikely due to his ridiculous contract demands, or he needs to be traded.

13. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Very glad that we'll see Timmy back in 2010 - for everyone freaking out over other players needing to be signed likeasapomgz - chill out, the draft is this weekend and 2010 is going to be a very unique situation for contracts due to the CBA stuff - all sides are taking their time and feeling stuff out

14. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    Glad to have Dobbins signed.

With all our ILB's on the last year of their contract: Cooper, Dobbins, Siler, and Burnett.

Do Not be surprised by a draft pick of an ILB.

15. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    :tup:

Smart people are waiting to see how things shake out. No sense painting yourself into a corner if you don't have to.

16. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I guess I'll keep bumping into him @ the movies for another year.

Seriously, this has happened about 6 times in the last year. Dude is always @ the movies. I've talked to him a few times, the basic "good luck" or "hoping you get more pt" or "kill the raiders" type of banter. He's a nice dude. I saw him in Jamba Juice the day after he nearly decapitated some dude in a preseason game a few years ago. I asked him if he was wanted for murder, he lol'd.

17. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    YUP :yes: and we allllll know AJ is not a knee jerk reaction type GM anyway - he's just not and really who believes he's going to change anytime soon?

18. Cap_City_Guy

Cap_City_Guy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    I agree man, don't get me wrong. Kudos to AJ for the resign, Not trying to be a complete nit-picker but sheesh, we poney up the greenbacks for the completely unproven J.Tucker but we give Tim Dobbins a 1 year contract? IMO it would have been the more financially conservative move to give him a 2 to 3 year deal now.

19. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    With the CBA all jacked up 1 yr contracts seem pretty smart IMO.

20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    For guys like Dobbins, yes. But there is no reason what so ever we should allow VJ and McNeil to go into the final year of their contract without an extension. We don't even know if the franchise tag will be available in the next CBA.

Just get those 2 guys locked up, and the fans can breath a sigh of relief

21. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Someone (sorry don't remember who or I'd give you credit) pointed it out earlier in another thread

AJ is keeping his options open b4/during the draft

If someone comes along with a sweet deal for one of those guys he could possibly deal them

No one is 100% safe IMO other than Rivers

22. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Not sure who said it. I do think that VJ and McNeil should be on that list as well