1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Dobbins speaks softly, but carries big hits

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Casey Pearce
    10-28-09

Tim Dobbins didn’t have much to say Wednesday about what Head Coach Norv Turner called his best performance of the linebacker’s career, but Dobbins’ teammates expect the fourth-year pro to continue his outstanding play.

Chargers linebacker Tim Dobbins[​IMG] didn’t have much to say about his performance against the Chiefs Sunday, which according to his teammates is characteristic of Dobbins’ personality.
    “He doesn’t say much,” linebacker Shaun Phillips[​IMG] said. “He just likes to lock in and stay focused. That’s what we let him do here.”
    Linebacker Stephen Cooper[​IMG] described Dobbins as a blue-collar guy, one that speaks when spoken to and prefers to stay out of the spotlight.
    “It’s just the person he is,” Cooper said. “He kind of keeps to himself. When you talk to him he talks back and when he needs to ask a question he asks it, but he’s not real flamboyant. He’s all about coming to work and getting the job done.”
    That’s exactly what Dobbins did Sunday in Kansas City. He started eight games a year ago but made his first start of the season last week when an ankle injury forced Kevin Burnett[​IMG] out of the lineup. Dobbins responded with what Head Coach Norv Turner called the best performance of his young career. According to the coaches’ stats, Dobbins posted a team-high 14 tackles. He also recorded the second interception of his career.
    “Tim has been a good player here,” Turner said. “We tell our guys regularly if you get the opportunity, make the most of it. He played as well as I’ve seen him play.”
    Dobbins’ performance came as no surprise to his teammates, players who have seen Dobbins unselfishly excel on special teams throughout his four seasons with the Chargers in addition to flashing at times on defense.
    “It’s expected,” Phillips said. “He has been working hard. He’s starting to get in the flow of things and understand how to be a professional and play this game the way it’s supposed to be played. I believe it’s only a start for him. He has a lot more to come and hopefully he handles success well and goes out there and produces again.”
    Before Sunday’s game, Cooper made it a point to speak to Dobbins. Cooper told his teammate of how he grabbed the bull by the horn four seasons ago when veteran Randall Godfrey missed some time due to injury. Cooper saw his words resonate, and he liked what he saw from Dobbins.
    “He understands his opportunity,” Cooper said. “He’s a great middle linebacker. “He’s stout; he’s strong; he’s fast. The biggest thing for him is just understanding the defense and that’s what he’s doing. He put himself in great position to make plays. He showed our coaches that he can go get the job done.'

Injury update
    Burnett (ankle) and defensive tackle Ogemdi Nwagbuo[​IMG] (ankle) missed Wednesday’s practice while center Nick Hardwick[​IMG] (ankle), defensive tackle Travis Johnson[​IMG] (groin) and linebacker Shawne Merriman[​IMG] (foot) saw limited practice time.
    The Raiders had seven players miss practice, including running back Darren McFadden (knee) and defensive end Greg Ellis (knee). Guard Robert Gallery practiced for the first time since breaking his leg in Week 2 and was limited.

Jackson clutch
    As much as wide receiver Vincent Jackson[​IMG] enjoyed his two 51-yard catches Sunday at Kansas City, he was equally pleased with the two grabs he made on third down to keep drives alive.
    “I try to be as dynamic of a receiver as I can,” Jackson said. “I don’t want to be known as just a big guy who is going to go catch the bomb. I want to be a third-down guy, a possession guy. I want to be able to do a lot of different things to help my team.”

Of Jackson’s 26 catches this season, 29 have gone for first downs. His conversion rate of 89.7 percent is the second highest in the NFL among players with at least 10 catches.
    “He just keeps getting better and better,” Turner said.

On the season, Jackson ranks sixth in the NFL with 561 yards and every player ahead of Jackson has played one more game than him due to the Chargers’ early bye. His average of 19.3 yards per catch is the best among players with at least 25 catches.

Sack attack
    Phillips said it felt great to get to the quarterback twice last week, but he was more pleased with the defense’s performance as a whole, one that saw the Chiefs gain just 203 total yards on offense.
    “It doesn’t just start with me,” Phillips said. “It’s a team effort and it’s a collective effort. That’s what we’re going to continue to preach around here. Do everything collectively and do everything as a group.”
    Phillips would love nothing more than to continue his success this week. Of his 40.5 career sacks, nearly a fourth of them (9.5) have come against the Raiders.

2. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
  3. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    my kinda guy :tup:

4. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    He is quickly becoming oneofmy favorite Chargers: attention getters like Merriman, Cro and Phillips need to learn from this guy: let your team D do the talking.

I still think we'll need Burnett...but Dobbins has proved we have a quality LB'er in this 3-4 D who played it in college, and his knowledge of the position maybe even makes up for some of his pass D deficiencies.

We will need his physical play against the Raiders sunday.

5. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    We won't have to worry about freaking tweeter with him!:tup:

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Yep - a lunch pail kinda guy.

[​IMG]

7. Haterproof2020

Haterproof2020 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    YESSS SIR TIMMYS A BEAST, IM TELLING YOU WITH HIM AND COOPER IN THAT MIDDLE THAT MAKES A LINEBACKING CORP VIOLENT. ONCE COOP GETS THAT CHEVY OFF HIS KNEE AND TIMMY PROVES HE CAN CONTINUE TO STAY DISCIPLINED IN HIS COVERAGES THAT MIGHT BE THE GAME CHANGER... GO BOLLTTTS!!!! :tup: :icon_toast:

8. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Chill the **** out with the caps bro.