1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Does anybody else question Wade?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BOLTS4LIFE, Jan 23, 2007.

1. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    IMO, I don't think our defense wasn't as good as it should have been.
    Don't get me wrong. They came through a lot of times when we needed them but I still think they should have been better.

Two examples that I can think of right away was the inability to hold the Quiefs from their own 20 in less than a minute and the inability to keep the Patsies out of the endzone in the last seconds of the first half.

Maybe the players have not yet gelled as a full unit?
    Maybe the Merriman suspension was more of a distraction than we think?
    Maybe Wade didn't get them to the best of their ability?
    Maybe we're still just a few players short?

What do you think?

2. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    IMO Wade goes into prevent mode too often and the other team ALWAYS puts up points when he does it. Like at the end of the Half against the Patriots. We were kicking their *** the whole half and he goes into pus sy mode and they drive for a TD.

Pisses me off more than anything else.

3. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I agree and I won't be crying if Wade hits the road. The best D-Coordinator in the AFC West is in sorry *** Oakland right now. I think Manusky (sp?) would be a great fit if Wade somehow gets a HC position. I've also heard AJ loves Wade which doesn't sit well with me either. :no:

4. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Oakland's D was overrated. Teams threw over 100 fewer passes against them last year than they did against us...primarily because no one was afraid of their pathetic offense. Their run defense was poor and their pass defense was good pretty much only because no one threw against them.

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Wade has a bad habit of being WAY too predictable, like only blitzing on 3rd and long, going to prevent at the end of halves, that sort of ****. When was the last time we sent Jammer on a corner blitz?

I also will not shed a tear if he goes bye bye. Pissed off Manusky for DC.

6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I won't be too upset if Wade goes either.
    I think he's done good for us but a change might be good too.

7. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Good point about their offense but in our second game against them their defense played pretty well (other than giving up another passing TD from LT). I watched quite a few of their games and Ryan and his squad impressed me. Wade doesn't. JMO. :) :helm1:

8. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I'm still trying to figure out why everyone is in love with Manusky. Was a great player and has had a great start to his coaching career in his 5 years. I'm just not convinced he is ready to make the jump.

9. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    I think the reason I like him is cuz he will likely employ more man to man and agressive defense.....which is what fits our personal the best. Think Pittsburgh's 3-4 with Lebeau.

10. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I guess my thing is that we really don't know that much about him (in respect to coaching) other than that he has one year experience as LB coach for Washington and now 5 years with SD. I know that there needs to be a leap of faith sometimes when hiring young, but I question if he is ready.

How do we know he'll do more man to man? It's not like we get to hear many or our assistants speak to the media.

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    he had a tendency to do that but lets also face facts that he's the best at DCing a 3-4 and has nothing but success wherever he takes it and in molding players to that system. Complain as much as you want, some of its very valid, but you can't deny what he's done here first with weaker components and now with this team we have now.
    I don't see anyone who I think could truly do better and I'm a Manusky fan, i'm just not sure of him

12. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    I think Dick Labaeu could do better and has. I think Dom Capers could do better and i think Marvin Lewis could do better if he wasnt a HC already.

Theres three. I like what Wade has done but i cannot stand it when he gives points away by going into that puss y mode at the end of halfs and the end of games.

I just dont see why you dont keep doing what you have the whole game when we were kicking offenses butts the whole time prior to it.

Manusky we have no clue about really but at least he has been involve in our 3-4.

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930

LeBeau - very talented no question but honestly, their defense was less impressive then ours, especially this year, and the only real pieces they missed was Von Olherofton and Hope. Its understandable why their offense would suffer but not their defense.

Capers - Uh....no. No freakin way considering what he's coached

Lewis - Was responsible for the ravens great defense but that was a 4-3 and he's a coach

14. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Well Ant...when your QB alone is giving up over 20 turnovers...that makes it tough on a defense. Any defense would have trouble there. Ben had over 20 INT's and i dont even know how many fumbles.

On Capers...see, your judging him as a HC. Clearly you arent familiar with him.

Id take Lewis in any defense.

15. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Sure it does but not all the time. Some defenses stay with what is working. There was no need to go soft at the end of the first half against the Patriots. There were doing NOTHING.

16. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Dick Lebeau is a GAWD

17. DjChemical

DjChemical BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Chargers have been playing prevent for YEARS and i hate it. Wade is 0-3 in the playoffs id be happier if he left that way AJ cant promote him to HC.

18. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I'm with you guys on the prevent...but you will get this with most old school coaches. What I do like about Wade is that he comes up with great blitz packages that expose the chit out of opponents and he attacks the QB like a rabid dog and gets the most out of his personnel. The 2nd KC game as an example was pure genius...blitzing Donnie and Godfrey up the middle non-stop forcing LJ to run laterally (which he hates to do and it makes him a very average back)....and totally caught the Chiefs unprepared....I noticed that the Colts were paying attention to that when playing the Chiefs and attacked the middle also. We also had great game plans for Manning and the Colts in 04 and 05...and we were more than prepared for Brady in the playoffs....and just shot ourselves in the foot...err..head with execution.

In short...I like Wade...I can live with the prevent..even though it drives me nuts also...because I think he knows this personnel and will continue to improve this unit.