1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone think Sproles could be dangerous catching passes out of the backfield ?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by PhilipRivers#1, May 4, 2007.

1. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    I feel like Sproles is a talent although he hasn't been used in the correct way.

Am I the only one who thinks that Sproles could catch a short screen pass, get one on one with a linebacker or safety, do a quick juke and be gone ?

TOUCHDOWN SPROLES !!! :abq2: :abq1: :bolt: :tup: :helm1:

2. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Does anyone think Sproles could be dangerous catching passes out of the backfield

I have a wait-and-see attitude about Sproles at this point. I wasn't as impressed with him in his rookie season as I'd hoped I would be.

3. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Does anyone think Sproles could be dangerous catching passes out of the backfield

I think if you can get him the ball in open space, he could be great. I just think that is harder than it sounds. He has to be in for enough regular plays for guys to not notice when he comes in to get him in the open field like that. If all we do is run screens or other gimmicks with him they won't work. I don't know if throwing plays away to set up those plays is worth it.

4. vegasboy

vegasboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    I certainly believe that if used correctly, Sproels can add another dimension to our already great offense.

Many guys on this forum think he will be gone but I have a feeling that Norv can design plays to take advantage of his quick and elusive running ability.

With Turner returning kicks and Davis or Parker returning punts, Sproels should be kept away from that area but occasional carries and a few swing passes might work.

Anyone that saw him in college knows he has great open field running ability. Cam and Marty just tried to make him a smaller version of LT and that didn't work. Like running him straight into the line.

I'm betting that Norv gets him open in space to take advantage of his abilities.:yes:

5. KTM

KTM BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    i doubt it, but you never know right? guys can change their game if they work at it i guess

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I think he could be.

7. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    If we were planning on getting rid of Sproles we would have picked someone up in the draft.

8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    If AJ keeps Sproles that should be evidence enough for most.

He had a gret return average when he was healthy, and he could learn to field the punt. He is small and fast. He could be a great returner, he has done nothing to earn the anger of many of the posters here.

9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I have seen Rivers fumble. LT fumble. Parker Fumble... I have seen many, many Charger players fumble. You havent?

I know he was mainly the kick off returner and they were working on him for punts. He was getting better which is more I can say about your favorite Raider...

So, your point is?

10. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    There is another RB on the practice squad (I forget his name) who is just as good. Sproles is just taking up a valuable roster spot. leisure is right. There is no need to keep Sproles.

11. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86

yah keep him away from fielding punts thats for sure

12. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    So let me get this striaght. You guys are all AJ is GAWD, up until you decide that you dont like a player?

SO this RB on the practice squad, he was activated last season? Or did he remain on the practice squad because he is not as good as you think he is?

Sproles when returning had one of the best return yardage averages in the league, yet some of you didnt like him because he wasnt glitsy. Get over it, glitsy doesnt get us anything. Ability does and Sproles has ability even if he is not on your invite list to the tail gaters.

13. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851

After this season, Michael Turner leaves for more money and a starting position.

In addition, D'Flo has already intimated leaving as well, putting Cromartie in his starting spot.

Craig Davis will become our #2 WR.

Eric Weddle will be a starting safety.

You really don't want your #1 or #2 position players returning kicks, due to the violent contact that is much harsher than a standard NFL play. Otherwise, why not just put L.T. as the returner since he's the best runner on the team?

Nevertheless, who's going to be the 2008 kick/punt returner if not Sproles? Eric Parker?

14. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680

No, I think it's pretty tough to "learn" how to field a punt. You either have a knack for it or you don't. Kind of like how Donnie Edwards is always around the ball, or how Quentin Jammer has problems with ball awareness.

Sproles will be of no help to us on offense either. All he can do is catch passes in the flat, and since he's not a blocking threat it is too easy for the 'D to key on him.

15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928

let's see what happens in training camp before throwing sproles over the cliff yes?

16. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The dude is not durable. If you remember watching Lionel Little Train James, you did not get the feeling he was going to break after getting pummeled. That dude bounced up and let the fat boys have it with wreckless abandon. There was no cringe when he ran into the line because he went between legs. Thats takes balls and not glitz.

Even AJ takes a dump on a reach pick every once in a while. It lets us know he bleeds and is a mortal gawd. I want his job. :icon_twisted:

17. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680

Hey, Donnie is a valid example of a player who has a knack for doing something well, that is hard to teach. Definitely germaine to the thread subject, and shouldn't be seen as an attempt to ruffle any feathers.

:)

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    So Sproles has been hurt once, and not from contact, and now he is not durable. Is this another "NUKED" prognosis from Dr. Trumpie?

If it is then I am 100% behind Sproles cause Dr. Trumpie is wrong every time...:lol:

19. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Look it is simple. If you sat a bunch of diehard Bolt fans on a big sofa and you just watched our legs, everytime Sproles would run into the line you would see everyones legs snap shut as though we were kicked in the balls. Why ? You know why.

Do your legs snap shut when anyone else runs their asss into the line ?

I hope not because that means those awipes should not be on my field as well.

20. PhilipRivers#1

Ratings:
    +464

I think this post is right on the money. Coaches are looking 2 to 3 years out, not just next season.

21. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680

AJ ain't like that. He's not afraid to admit to a mistake, unlike John Butler.

Sproles will not be on the roster in 2007.

22. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654

Too late. The lynch mob has his *** dangling off a rope and on fire as an effigy to get the season started.

Sproles will be cut. Sayanora. Get the practice squad dude RB on the active roster and roll.

Better yet - get Ricky Williams. :icon_eek:

Wait - he will be bogarting all my shiit so on second thought nevermind.......:no:

23. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579

Sproles is a joke. Might be a great kid, might catch on with another team that is intrigued by his skill set, no room for him on the roster in SD.

The only reason he wasn't cut last year was because of the injury...

24. PhilipRivers#1

Ratings:
    +464

I know that Donnie gets alot of hate on this board, but he definitely "BROUGHT IT" for our playoff game, and I will always appreciate that ! :tup: :bolt:

25. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    dunno if i would like to see him fielding punts but he is a good KR. my only problem with him was that one incident during the miami game 2 years ago but he should only be better bc of it