1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Does McCree's blunder rank up there with "The Fumble" and "The Drive"?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Feb 7, 2007.

?

McCrees fumble increase the reality of Marty's curse?

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. No

11 vote(s)
    27.5%
  3. Matilack, your an idiot for asking the question

15 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,456
    I know its all over, but I saw somthing about it on FSN today and I had to ask.:icon_shrug:

2. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    not to their magnetude but yeah id say pretty close, i mean the argument would be there were many plays that sealed our fate but what do you call the drive. of course this was no afc title game. i am over that game mostly, ask clevelanders the same question much different answer.

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,456
    McCrees fumble blunder ranking

Does Marlon McCree's fumble against the Patriots rank up there with "The Drive" and "The Fumble". Was it as serious of a choke as those things. Because if it is it means Marty is seriously cursed, and we should have just let him go.

I know its over, but I saw somthing about it on FSN today and had to ask.:icon_shrug:

4. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +674

You asked. I answered.

5. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703

I voted no...

:bolt: :foley53:

6. Mid-west Chargers fan

Mid-west Chargers fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16
    This quote from the U-T kind of says it all:

“They were clearly the most talented team in the league,” Broncos safety John Lynch said.

Neal is tired of such talk. Lynch told him the Chargers were like the Dallas Cowboys of the early 1990s, poised to make a run to successive Super Bowls.

But Neal and others on the Chargers are having a hard time getting past that 24-21 loss to New England, in which they mostly dominated but were done in by silly penalties, dropped passes, dropped interceptions, a fumble and a dropped punt.

“I'm tired of people saying we had a great season, that we're a great team,” Neal said. "Great teams don't do selfish things. Some of the things we did – it's a game, guys make mistakes. But there were things guys did in that game that were selfish. They had nothing to do with playing between the lines."

“Coach always says one play doesn't lose a game. But selfish things do lose games. They need to be addressed. We've got a lot of great guys. Hopefully, guys learned from this.”

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20070208-9999-1s8chargers.html

7. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,829
    What McCree did was not selfish. He tried to make the play, that is what he is paid for. PFs like the type Florence and Olivia had were selfish.

8. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    This sounds like a thread just looking to be pessimistic.

What people don't realize. THat if mcree hadn't read the play and intercepted it might have gone for a big play for the patriots. And if mcree had just batted it down he may have batted it right to a patriots player. That has happened many times. The interception was correct. But he ran right into the patriot player without having the time to tuck it away so it got stripped. Which was bad luck.

9. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Bullcrap.

Football is about game situational management. In the two minute drill, you sacrifice yards to get out of bounds and preserve clock.

Similar, on fourth down you KNOCK the ball down instead of taking the interception. McCree should have been the veteran reminding the younger DB's of this very fact. Instead, even after the game he said he'd do the same STUPID thing all over again. The VAST majority of interceptions do NOT get returned to the previous team's line of scrimmage. By intercepting the ball, McCree was challenging the field position odds, making the Chargers start further in their own territory had he just knocked the ball down AND he became a target of opportunity for a turnover.

It was completely selfish AND boneheaded.

10. RMANCIL

RMANCIL Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223

McCree as a seasoned vet either was selfish or stupid take your choice. He is supposed to be like a coach on the field and midget league coaches know better.

11. VAN DE MAN CHARGER FAN

VAN DE MAN CHARGER FAN BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    u kno i dont think so.

if its goin to b neplay i think it would b Parker's fumbled PR

12. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,829
    Know better than what? To intercept a ball and try and make a play? Man how do scums like Champ Baily still have a job! Why did we see Dion high steppin soo much when vetereans are supposed to be 'intelligent' enough to not make plays...

All of you who want our secondary to not make plays, better not ***** next season when the 'easy pick' is not picked. Cause all yall dont want our guys to make those.

13. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,829
    Bull crap. Players make plays. Fans moan when other players make plays. Nuff said.

14. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243

Conc -

It was FOURTH FREAKING DOWN ....

Doesn't that register with you?

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,829
    Players make plays, inst that registering with you? Shall we call all of the fourth down interceptions in the history of the game blunders? I cant believe that many of you who are arguing this conservative approach, are the same ones who fry the HC for it.

McCree did not cost us the game, nor was it selfish or a blunder as your would brand it. What was selfish and a blunder were the personal fouls that kept the pats going.

16. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,508
    I tend to agree with Shammy. It's far more likely for a player to attempt to intercept a ball, bat it in the air and have it completed than it is to be batted into an opponents' hands when a player is knocking it to the ground.

Beyond the issue of possession (if the ball is incomplete, we get possession), you have the issue of field position. There was no way McCree was going to advance that INT past the line of scrimmage, where we would have gotten the ball on downs, so intercepting it was a mistake.

17. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    This isn't even a Football 101 instruction. Way below that. More like a first year of high school freshman football game situational discussion.

"Making plays" is making the smart play - in all situations. Knocking a ball down (instead of intercepting) is the SMART play on damn near EVERY 4th down situation.

A few exceptions on fourth down might be a screen pass with an open field, or a one step and throw to a WR in the LOS flat (like the pass Bailey did a pick-6 on Brees in Denver in '05). In those very limited situations, the defender is already behind or near the original LOS and has a clear field in front of him. That was NOT the case in McCree's bonehead interception.

Defending McCree's actions is as loony as his words after the game.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,829
    Wow! Your right, we should never intercept the ball on fourth down! I dont know why that fool Wade didnt relize this, and take the sencondary out on fourth downs.

I want players who will try and make plays, you want to be conservative and have players who will not. Fine.

19. RMANCIL

Ratings:
    +223
    One stupid play does not excuse another. It was 4th down and the result if he had knocked it down or at the very least fallen down with the int was a change of possession with the Chargers retaining the ball and the lead.

If that is not a clear case as to "why" then we just don't know what is.

20. RMANCIL

Ratings:
    +223
    The job of the defense is to stop the opponent from converting on 4th down not and try for some great play with a great display of broken field running.

McCree is a DB not a RB and clearly why you want him to knock it down or fall on it is to prevent exactly what happened.

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,829
    Lets play your 'WHAT IF' game shall we?

What if he goes to knock it down, the ball goes off of his arm into the arms of the Patriot right behind him. Long gain perhaps touch down. Then all yall are screaming "What a selfish, bone headed play" cause he didnt try and intercept it. See thats the way you all work. You are so knowledgable by hindsight that you can always call the correct play. Bully for you!

Same result.

Or what if he misses all together, or a pats player picks it off of the deflection? Wow, I love these what if games... See how you can always what if to your support?

What if he would have held on?
    What if Florence wasnt an idiot?
    What if Olivia controlled himself?
    What if we won?
    What if he ran it back for a TD?
    What if he lateraled?
    What if he ate wheaties for breakfast?
    What if cats and dogs lived together in harmony?

22. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,829
    Really? Really? It is not the D's job to try and make a great play? I suppose that is why we keep track of interceptions and sacks.

I suppose the whole reason the team intercepting the ball doesnt get to keep it is because it is not the D's job to try and get it back, right? But it doesnt work that way. Because it IS the D's job to make those plays.

23. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243

At that point in the game, and at that game situation (4th down) we needed a SMART play. Knocking the ball down was the smart play in damn near EVERY situation conceived.

Relying on "make a great play" is wishful thinking at best. Deluding yourself into thinking the chances of a big play can occur is grounded in some kind of Madden fanboy happenstance.

Do teams throw long on every play just to "make a great play?" I guess you should want an offense consisting of nothing but 9 routes with your logic.

Game situational management. The Chargers showed a lack of that throughout the game, with Marty's 4th and 11 call, bizarre use of timeouts and challenges, questionable second half playcalling, and McCree's BONEHEAD interception.

McCree isn't the sole reason why SD lost, but if, as a veteran player, he had made the correct choice based on the down, time left in the game, etc then the Chargers would have had a MUCH better chance to overcome the other self imposed obstacles that led to defeat.

McCree was brought in to be the smart veteran in the secondary. Instead, at a crucial moment, we got a freaking bonehead play from the leader of the defensive backs.

I still can't believe you are defending his actions on that play. :icon_shrug:

24. RMANCIL

Ratings:
    +223

And that is the very reason stats are flawed in football.

Int on tipped balls , int on hail Marys are not or should not be on the QB.

Nor is it a great play by a DB to make a int on 4th down inside your own 40 with the lead in the 4th QT with under 6 minutes to play. The smart play is to pat the ball into the ground and if you can't clearly make that play then make the int and fall down.

The issue here is to win !

The main concern for the Bolts is the clock not trying to get another score. The chances of making the int and zigzaging 60 yds for another score is remote and we have the lead already!

We want the ball to run out the clock!!!

Now for the love of God you must understand this or I will result to extreme objective judo wit and double throw me down logic don't make me do it!!!!

25. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I disagree. He wanted to add to his stats with an INT, and a run back. Maybe even a score. ALL HE HAD TO DO WAS KNOCK THE BALL DOWN AND WE WIN THE GAME!!!!!! If he's a pro, he should know this, period! He wasn't the only reason we lost this game, but he definitely deserves a big part of the blame.

I sure wouldn't miss him if he were gone next season. Like Neal said, selfish play can cost you a game. In this case it cost us a Super Bowl. :icon_evil:

26. RMANCIL

Ratings:
    +223
    My mistake the int was at the SD 31 with 6:25 on the clock so he would have only needed to go 69 yds to score. :lol:

NE 13 SD 21 score

27. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Its easy to say he should have just knocked it down. But if you check the replay there are a couple of pats players around him. Alot of batted balls don't go where you want them to go alot of times. That ball was coming pretty fast and mcree was coming in pretty fast. That ball could have gone in the air anywhere. The safe thing to do was catch it. But he didn't have enough time to wrap it up before hitting the pats player.

We can argue all we want. But alot of things could have happened with that play. Some good some bad.

What everyone forgets is the defense still could have stopped them and held them to just a field goal. This is the same thing that happened in the jets game years ago. Keading missed the kick. But the chargers defense could have still stopped the jets and we maybe could have won. IMprove the pass defense.

CAuse no matter what. Mistakes are gonna happen. They always do in every game to every team.

28. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    McCree's blunder does NOT rank amongst the greatest in NFL history. The biggest reason is a matter of context. As has been previously pointed out the fumbled INT was one of many bonehead plays, any one of which could have totally changed the outcome of the game. So except for being, perhaps, slightly more dramatic than some of our other F-ups I don't see what makes McCree's blunder any worse or more memorable than D-Flo's headbutt. Maybe if McCree's error stood out as the single defining reason we lost, it may have had a more epic feel... but outside San Diego I believe the INT and fumble will be lumped in with all our other mistakes.

And I don't really buy all the stuff about McCree being "selfish" on this play. The NFL is a game of instincts and reactions. I defiantly don't think that "oh here it comes, should I knock it down or catch it and try to run it back to the house?" went through his mind from the time the pass was thrown until he found himself in posession of the ball. Was it a bonehead move? Yup. As a veteran, should he already have had it in his head that you don't catch it on 4th down? Fuggin' ay! That's not the way it went down, but I don't read any kind of intent into his catching the pass. So I'm not sure exactly how he was being selfish. I mean he probably realized after the rock was in his hands that he shouldn't have caught it and wanted to gain back as much field position as he'd already cost us. That's not being selfish it's trying to attone for a mistake. Unfortunatly, he made a bigger mistake in his effort to gain back the field position.

And Matty you're not an idiot for asking the question... you're and idiot because you don't know the difference between "your" and "you're". :icon_tease:

29. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,879
    I'd say 9 out of 10 NFL players go for the INT with over 6 minutes to play regardless of down. It's easy to arm chair a play after it's happened and thats all I see going on in here. When he ggrabbed that ball everyone watching that game was happy until it was knocked loose, but now all of the "experts" are telling us how wrong and stupid a play it was. :icon_sad: :bolt2:

30. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,829
    Zactly! Well put Hex.