1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Does Norv Understand?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Monkeybacon, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Monkeybacon

Monkeybacon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    This is a quote from Norv that is in several of todays papers in regards to the fans booing on SD's first posession:

"I'd like to say I don't hear it, but I don't like to lie," Coach Norv Turner said. "I just think it's unfortunate because I don't think people understand. That team [Baltimore] is second in the league in rush defense. Certainly there were some things we wanted to do early to feel them out. It's a long game.

"I don't think any game has been won on the first play of the game, and certainly not on the second play of the game."

:icon_shrug:

I wasn't at the game, but the booing is not because of an isolated incident. Fans are sick of watching Norv send L.T. up the middle of a stacked defense and bouncing off of them. More often than not this year, first and second downs have been unsuccessful running plays up the middle followed by 3rd and long passes against a nickel defense.

I think this quote by Norv is very revealing. He needs to stop being so stubborn try to improve his play selection. If anyone watched the Denver vs Chicago game, the Broncos had great success running the rookie #23 (forget his name, but he ain't no Terrel Davis) outside on pitch plays after faking up the middle. If Norv would look around the league at what other coaches like Shanarat are doing and implement some new plays, he might get a consistent running game going.

2. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    While I understand your sentiment I am going to have to defend Norv here. I think one of our biggest problems this year is our lack of identity. We are at our best when LT touches the ball 30+ times a game. We can run it up the gut the first play of every game for the rest of the season and I will be fine with that. Because we need to get back to reminding people that we are the San Diego Chargers and we are here to run the ball down you f'ing throat.

Don't hate on the man for putting the rock in the hands of our best player.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Monkeybacon

Monkeybacon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    I have no problem with L.T. getting touches, I would just like the plays to be less predictable. As goofy as those fake reverses of Cam's looked last year, they at least kept the defense from focusing entirely on L.T. Just a little misdirection and some outside runs would do wonders.

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Ya know, I can identify with what both of you guys are saying. I like for us to be the smashmouth, run it down your throat Chargers. But I also want to win, & if the middle isn't working, then get the ball to LT in space.

Sunday was better. Baltimore's D is no pushover, & we put up 32 points on them. If we actually begin to use all of the weapons that we have at our disposal, LT's touches are going to go drop. But we aren't there yet, so let's get him the ball where he can do something with it.

5. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Yeah, but what Norv failed to reveal is just how many games are won on the third play of the game.

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    You know what we need to run?

A flea flicker.

Imagine the bite the entire d would make on a hand off to LT up the middle, then BOOM, pitch back to Rivers and throw to a wide open Chambers streaking deep down the middle of the field.

Running right into the line on every 1st down and 2nd down is not "feeling out the defense". It's madness. Mix it up you stubborn douchebag. A pitch play or screen on 1st would be a welcome sight.

7. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Not only that... but think about how many games are lost on the last play!!!?

Holy crap!! Gawd dammit!!! Norv's not retarded... HE'S BRILLIANT!!! :lol:

8. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    I thought Norv responded well with screens and dump offs. It basically serves the same purpose. One of the plays that got booed was when Philip had to roll to his right when Baltimore sent the house and blew the LOS up. The actual play was designed to go left on a screen to Chambers that would have gone for big yardage had the protection held. PR rolled right and threw it away which brought out the boo birds.

I honestly don't have as big of a problem with the play calling as I do with the excecution of the OL.

9. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82

we should be patient. once the passing game is more established (which we are making progress in) they will have no choice but to play the pass as well. The Ravens like most teams that play against us will play the run first because that's how we've beaten so many teams.

10. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    :icon_rofl:

Crap we fun around sometimes.

11. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    What is needed is a lack of inevitability in the kind of running play they open up with. If the Chargers would go wide, run a reverse or begin off of a play action pass, defenses would not simply dig in and wait for what the odds tell them is coming. I'd love to see what would happen if the opened up with the half back pass. I'd even try lining up in a standard formation and then drop into a shotgun off of motion. You could use LT as a lead blocker off of a fake and hand it off to LoNeal. Put LT in the slot and run LoNeal into the inside. All kinds of ways to cross up a defense.

12. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Norv = Marty 2.0?

13. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I was pissed at the inability to get a fisrt down on the initial drive. Run, Run, Pass, Punt. I blamed it on play calling, because that is where it belonged. That is Norv. He responded well and started calling plays that forced the Ravens to loosen up the LOS a bit, and eneded up with a great game for the Chargers.

But that does not eliviate the fact that our offensive genius of a head coach cant call a running play to the outside, or something other than a run into a stacked line.

14. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    We are an easy team to defend. Norv has to know this. Norv is correct in that the game is not won on the first, second play or on the first or second drive... The fans booed because we saw yet another wasted series wherein we ran a scat back between the tackles in a power running manner. We ran right at a real damn good defense.

I understand that LT should get 30+ touches...I would like to see a bigger percentage of those touches a tab bit more effective.

Fans can't help but compare...Fans see Brady, Favre and Romo and others dominate the majority of thier drives. In fact, we saw this very Charger team do the same in 06. The fans miss that and see a different approach in Norv. That approach has us crawling to a division title.

I have no problem with fans booing...They simply saw yet another ****** drive.

15. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    I hate to say it but it seems like Norv is trying to establish the passing game since he knew that our passing game was our weakness last year.

16. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Rivers got booed because he had room to run and he pitched away instead.

17. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I don't think the Ravens are the team to try to run outside on. Their linebackers have great range and flow to the ball very well. Norv's point was that the fans were booing after three plays. The fans didn't boo the team when they came on the field, so it's not a matter of last week or last month. They were booing because they didn't like the 3 and out. I think that's kind of stupid.

We were running the ball yesterday to keep the Ravens honest. It was obvious that we were going to have to throw it to beat Baltimore and that's what we did. Norv called a terrific offensive game, and the players executed it well.

18. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    If you think LT is a scat back, you don't know the definition of the term. I think at the start of the game, Norv was trying to build some momentum. He ran it with the hope of getting Philip into a manageable third down situation that he could convert. Unfortunately, the running plays were not successful and we came up short of a first down. I really don't have a problem with such an offensive philosophy: starting out simple, trying to get your players into the game, give them some confidence. Regardless of how it began, Norv's approach yesterday was very successful.

19. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    :yes: :yes:

My neck hurts from agreeing with this post so much!!!

20. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Take me to school then amigo...He's not a power back, he has great hands and can do almost anything you ask of him... Now I understand that a "scat" back is usually a 3rd down back, but LT is an everydown thrid down back... The days of bringing in a Ronnie Harmon are over, we have a back that can do what he did every down.

Scat back IMO is a space running back that uses vision over power. You could never label, John Riggins, the Bus, Ron Dayne and backs like that as scat backs, but backs like LT, Ahman Green, R. Bush etc are scat backs...Those that can do it all in space using vision more then power....All these backs have power, but it's not thier main game.

Some would label scat backs as pure 3rd down backs like Sproles...Not me. Sproles is a scat back, not because he is a third down type back, but because he is vision back...

Turner the Burner IMO is a hybrid...He can use his power/speed has his main focus or he can simply run a brutha over...

BTW, yourdictionary.com defines Scat Back as...

scat·back· (bak′)

noun

Football, Slang a halfback who is fast and agile

Please take me to school on a "scat back".

TBF

21. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I thought a scat back was a guy who has a difficult time wiping his a$$ :icon_shrug:

22. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554

Traditionally, a scat back is someone who runs outside and catches passes. He is a smaller, quicker RB who does not get the tough yards inside the tackles. He is typically a third down back, or at least someone that gets subbed out on short yardage. LT is an every down back. While his quickness and his agility might be his biggest strengths, LT is a powerful runner. He runs through many tackles without even slowing down. LT isn't small like a scat back. He's a compact 5'10 and 220 lbs. He looks smaller because most of his weight is in his lower body. LT has run enough people over and thrown enough monster stiff arms to prove that he's more than a speedy, elusive scat back. He's quite powerful.

23. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I thought (after the first series) the play calling was better yesterday. Not so many runs directly into the line on first down. I mean, if all us have figured it out, I'm guessing defensive coordinators watching film see it.

24. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    The problem is that EVERYONE knew what plays were coming. The plays aren't necessarily the problem, the predictability with which they have thus far been called is.

25. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    That's a shat back. Scat's on the ground. If it clings, its a dingle berry.

26. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    I like that call:tup:

27. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288

Every team we played last year knew what was coming also and we had no problems running the ball. The problem I think is not the play calling (necessarily), its the fact the the Oline isn't blowin SHAT up like last year :yes:

28. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Yeah!:icon_shrug:

29. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    top you see it right:tup:

30. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member