1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Does Rivers possess the skills and composure to handle Chambers?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by pgreenbe305, Oct 16, 2007.

1. pgreenbe305

pgreenbe305 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +22
    I think this needed to be its own thread. We all keep saying "I hope Rivers doesn't muck this up, and he needs to make better decisions," etc.

Seriously... can Rivers get the ball to the right spots so that Chambers will explode, like we think he will?

I'll be the first to respond- I think the mental errors need to go away. Check down your progression, if there is nothing there, get back to the LOS or run forward, and slide. I would have much rather taken a sack this past week instead of a INT-TD.

Needless to say, I want to hear if people think he has what it takes to take advantage of Chris Chambers.
    :bolt::flag::bolt::flag::bolt::flag::bolt::flag::bolt:

2. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    :yes:

Most of the defensive trouble Rivers has experienced has come from the right side.

Rivers' sack and foot injury in last year's Arizona game was caused by a speed rusher coming from the right side.

He was then pressured from the right side in the NE playoff game and tried to throw over the rusher, and was INTd by Colvin.

This happened again versus NE in week 2 this year, when he was hit from the right side and fumbled the ball. Also in the game, he tried again to throw a quick pass to avoid a rusher from the right side and was picked off by Adalius Thomas for a TD.

In the KC loss several weeks ago, Rivers was hit from his right side, fumbled the ball, and it was picked up for a defensive TD.

They've often put Gates or Manu on the right side to help out Olivea. Olivea's not good enough to be left alone to handle speed rushers. His arms are too short and he doesn't possess enough punch power or lateral movement to handle them.

3. goboilers

goboilers BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    chambers is a great pick up!

4. LTisCool

LTisCool BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17
    I think Rivers is a very talented young quarterback and he does have the skill and composure to deliver the right passes to Chambers.

Rivers needs to mature as a quarterback. He's having a bad start to the season and that's not good (obviously) and we've seen a lot of errors from him - but from what we saw last season he's a good quarterback. He'll improve with time, I think.

• Like Like x 2
  5. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    so we're supposed to blame Shane's stubby arms for Rivers staring down recievers? I like Rivers alot, but he seems worse this year. I hope having Chambers doesn't just give him better weapons to stare down:icon_shrug:

6. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Chambers will do wonders for Rivers' confidence. He gives him a target that can make tough catches. He will loosen things up for the wide receivers and even more for Gates and LT. I suspect they will feed off one another. Chambers will know a good deal about the DB's in the league, having played against them more. Valuable lessons for young receivers.

7. TJBOLT

TJBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +19
    it a great pickup
    he kill us 2 years ago adjusting his routes to help his QB after some good coverage and catching everything

8. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Killing our secondary in 05' was just about as hard as it has been this year. Its not a great feet.

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Chambers will give the opposing DBs a deep threat to worry about. As for PR - he's had a shaky start, but I do believe in the kid. He'll work through these issues. :tup:

As for Olivea - unimpressive. Maybe we plug Oben in for awhile?

10. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I sure hope Rivers can be better in his next 23 games, than he was in his last. A pro bowl in his first year starting will be hard to beat though.
    :bolt:

11. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    I see it the same way. Chambers can help us like McKardell could.
    I too hope for Eric Parkers return.

12. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Parker's on IR.

13. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    Quite often in life, the answer to our future can be found by examining the past.

Did we not all witness Rivers leading this team to the greatest comeback in Chargers football history by leading the Chargers to 41 second half points over the bengals last year ?

There is your answer. :bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  14. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    "We" don't all keep saying "we hope Rivers doesn't muck this up." I have no doubts about Rivers continuing to improve and play with more consistency. Rivers has made too many mistakes in the first six games, but I believe he'll turn it around. The addition of Chambers will help.

15. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    I think the reason why Rivers has been so inconsistet IS because he doesn't have a legitimate wideout he trusts. I think that they've been trying to establish the current receivers as threats but they haven't panned out the way they were supposed to. Meaning that when Rivers drops back he gives up on the wideouts too early and therefore we see mr. happy feet trying to figure out what to do next. Hopefully with Chambers he'll be more patient and let the play develop a little more. Besides, teams KNOW who Chris Chambers is and they'll have to commit some resources to him hopefully backing some people off the box.

16. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    IMO Chambers should help Rivers quite a bit.

In terms of Olivea, I want a tackle with our #1 next year.

17. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I think he does. Rivers just needs to quit getting happy feet and stay calm in the pocket like Brady does. Take the sack or throw it away if nothing is there. You hurt your team a lot more if you throw a pick. Sometimes you have to say "Phucket" and get rid of the ball or take the sack. A sack is better than a turnover. If the line can hold up and give PR time, I think he'll take full advantage of Chambers skills since he'll be single covered most of the time. Pick your poison in this offense!! :icon_toast: