1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Does Sproles Have The Advantage?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltsnow, Jan 9, 2009.

1. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    If the conditions come Sunday are a slick field would Sproles have the advantage or disadvantage? The way chunks of turf always seem to come up there I was thinking that the bigger/heavier you are the better chance there is of bad footing. So if Sproles makes his quick cuts and the defenders try to change direction quickly that their footing could cause them to slip. Nothing major but Sproles doesn't need much room to break a long one.:yes:

2. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    I think you're right. Not only is Sproles lighter but his cuts aren't as sudden as LT's. LT cuts in one move by spreading his feet out wide and then changing direction. Sproles seems to chop step into his cut more. An example is that touchdown run agains the Colts.

3. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    mike nolan was just on nfl radio he said most people wouldnt think this but Sproles will have the advantage cause the little guy can get traction better then the big guys on that field

4. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    spoles is gonna finally put to rest the discussion of whether or not he can be an "every down" back sunday.

5. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    That was my line of thinking. But wasn't sure if the bigger guys would get a deeper penetration with their cleats to dig in.

6. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072

Midgets rule!!!!!!!!!!

7. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    I was thinking the exact same thing !!! :tup::abq1::abq2::icon_toast:

8. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Yes, Sproles has the advantage but the guys who get screwed are the lineman and defenders. The offensive lineman are forced to put their feet in weird positions and usually it throws off thier technique - I noticed it in New England's blowout of Arizona. I hope Clary, McNeil and Co. adjust. But yes, when Sproles cuts and defenders try to follow they'll lose traction and Sproles will run right past them.

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I was thinking about this while watching the NFLN replay of the 1st game. Field conditions will likely be about the same. With his lighter weight & lowere center of gravity, I say advantage Sproles. Let's not forget that Hester is a mudder, too.

10. SteelersDave

SteelersDave BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    In the most friendly way I can say it, your key to victory rides on Rivers arm and pressuring Ben. The running game will not get either of us very far this weekend imo. Noone runs well on us, and our running game seems to have retired with Cowher. :icon_toast:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Lets see. Smaller, lower to the ground, better center of gravity. He can make cuts better than taller and heavier defenders.

12. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    That and The Bus.

13. SteelersDave

SteelersDave BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    I sure miss the Bus! I hope Mendenhall can hammer the line when he returns next season...no replacing a Bettis though.
    I just hope we can keep contain on Sproles, if he gets the 2nd level with that speed...only Polamalu has a chance of catching him, and needs a good angle to do it. Tashard choice (dallas rookie with a somewhat similar style as sproles) did have some success on us. Can Sunday just hurry up and get here! lol

14. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976

So Dave, how do you see the two teams matching up? What are the strengths to weaknesses of each team?

15. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    You know, it occurs to me that all of the emphasis being put on Sproles is going to open up other options to the offense. I do believe that Sproles will get his touches and yards too.

Go Chargers!!!
    :flag:

16. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Let's not forget, Bennett, Hester, Tolbert can you say running back by committee? Hell throw the kitchen sink at them, it's win or go home anyway.

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Exactly. Nothing to hold back for.

18. -Scar-

-Scar- thedoomship.com

Ratings:
    +205
    I'm Actually With Dave On This One

:cool:

19. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    norv is gonna be stubborn with sproles to begin the game to establish him so he can go jedi mind trick with him later in the game. spoles might not get his yards but in the end will be a big part of why we win.
    i actually see our D winning the game with some big plays.

20. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I wonder if they have been working on the halfback pass with Sproles, he's about the same height as the Breeser.:bolt: :icon_tease: :icon_rofl:

21. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Naanee was a QB at Boise. He could run it well and he has some height to go with it. With below freezing tempsl, and a projected low of 24, the field might be hard. If it isn't Sproles will have a real advantage.

22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'm hearing that Floyd is still out - no link, just buzz. We may well see more of Legedu Naanee this week.