1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Does Television control the NFL?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SDRaiderH8er, Oct 20, 2010.

1. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Jeff Fisher was asked to call timeouts for MNF commercial breaks - Shutdown Corner - NFL  - Yahoo! Sports

Our own Chris Chase wondered earlier Tuesday why Chris Johnson was in the game so late when the Tennessee Titans were beating up on the Jacksonville Jaguars on "Monday Night Football." You may have wondered why Jags head coach Jack Del Rio seemed insistent on prolonging the suffering in a 30-3 laugher in which we saw far too little interesting football and far too much Trent Edwards(notes). Titans coach Jeff Fisher intimated in Chase's piece that he kept the pedal to the floor because of the two timeouts Del Rio called after the two-minute warning, but as it turns out, Del Rio had a reason for doing so that went beyond the strategic:

Jack used his timeouts," Fisher said. "My understanding is they needed network timeouts, and that's why Jack used his timeouts. They came over and asked me to do it, but I said, 'I was hoping to get a first down and kneel on it.'"

Fisher has an interesting sense of humor (you may remember that he tried to break his team's 2009 losing streak by donning a Peyton Manning jersey), but in this case, he wasn't joking. Terry McCormick of TitanInsider.com has the real story, based on Fisher's Tuesday press conference with the local media:

"At the two-minute warning in every game in the fourth quarter, there are conversations that go by. There's conversations that take place at the two-minute warning before the first half. But there's conversations that take place, and it's the official's responsibility to give the head coach a status of commercials and TV timeouts," Fisher said. "Yesterday, I was told that they were two short. And they looked at me and smiled, and I said, 'Sorry, I can't help you.' Mike Carey came across and said, 'Here's the deal. We're two short.' And I said, 'Mike, I can't help you. I'm trying to get a first down and I'm gonna kneel on it.'

McCormick told me that he did not know (nor did Fisher) whether Del Rio took his timeouts in accordance with Carey's request, or the league's specific need for TV timeouts.

According to several sources, the NFL is investingating ESPN's handling of the timeout issue.

Perhaps the most disconcerting thing about this story -- the part that made it so hard to believe at first -- is the idea of a television network, and the need for ad revenue, deciding the pace of a game (no matter how awful it may be). That Carey would break away from his responsibility as a supposedly objective arbiter of the on-field action to try and wrangle timeouts from coaches in the name of commercial breaks -- well, this is where we truly have gone down the rabbit hole. And judging from Fisher's comments, this happens all the time.

Hmmm. Maybe when we blame Andy Reid and other coaches for all that clock-mangling inside the two-minute warning, it's been another culprit all along?

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Wow.

very interesting...

3. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    as it is right now it sucks. After a team scores they break to a commercial. Then after the kickoff, they break to a commercial again. All that dead time adds up when you are sitting in your seats. After almost every punt, they break for a commerical. They break for a commercial every chance they get.

4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    It was hard to get use to watching the players just stand around during the TV timeouts. Many fans at home do not realize TV timeouts happen unless they go to the games. Defenses get a chance to catch a breather. It interrupts the offenses when they are on a roll.

Of course the TV timeout rule the world of football. Attending the games just proves it.

5. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I wont be at all surprised if this proves to be true. What's Trumpy always say about loyalty going as deep as one's pockets?

6. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,729
    Here's a thought. Maybe the NFL should build a game around a bunch of commercials... Have a movie director with a zebra-striped beret yelling, "Lights, camera, action!" between plays and then saying "That's a wrap, cut to commercial." What next, a reality TV show about football sponsored by Miller Beer and Frito Lay?...

Pointy

7. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Follow the money trail.

I bet that ref remembers Del Rios FAVOR in calling the timeouts to help the network if ya know what I mean Vern.

8. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    How much does the league make in television revenue sharing? Not surprised in the least something like this would happen. Actually, I'm surprised the refs said anything at all and didn't just take the regular TV time outs on their own. Why would they even bother with the coaches?

9. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,729
    I alsways thought that those extra motions the zebras were making were to get better antenna reception... Ever notice that before they have a television time out, the refs put their arms straight out like the letter "T" and then they raise their arms in the rabbit ear position and it looks like a "V"??? Coincidence?...

Pointy

10. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Gee, I don't know ---

from Wiki ---

Currently, three American terrestrial television networks CBS ($3.73B), NBC ($3.6B) and Fox ($4.27B), as well as cable television's ESPN ($8.8B) are paying a combined total of $20.4 billion to broadcast NFL games through the 2011 season for CBS, Fox, and NBC and through 2013 for ESPN. However, the league imposes several strict television policies to ensure that stadiums are filled and sold out, to maximize telecast ratings, and to help leverage content on these networks.

Commercial breaks

During each half of a network-televised game, there are ten prescribed commercial breaks following the official kickoff. Two are firmly scheduled, and eight others are worked in during breaks in the play.[25]

Pre-scheduled commercial breaks:

* The end of the first (or third) quarter
    * The two-minute warning of the second (or fourth) quarter

Other instances used for commercial breaks (eight total required per half):

* A timeout called by either team
    * Instant replay stoppage
    * Game stoppage after a score
    * Game stoppage after a kickoff or punt (excluding the opening kickoff of each half)
    * Game stoppage after a turnover
    * Injury timeout

Two commercial breaks during the typical 12-minute halftime period are considered separate.

Networks are more apt to front-load their commercials in the first and third quarters, to prevent an overrun in the second and fourth quarters respectively. If a team calls a timeout and the network decides to use it for a commercial break, a representative from the broadcast crew stationed on the sidelines wearing orange sleeves makes a crossing motion with his hands to alert the officials. The referee declares it a "two-minute timeout."

Once a broadcast has fulfilled the 8 "random" breaks, game stoppages are no longer needed for commercials. The orange sleeve will hold his hands down in a twirl motion to alert the officials. If a team calls a timeout, the referee will declare it a "30-second timeout." Once any timeout in a half is declared a 30-second timeout, all remaining timeouts will be of the same duration.

Since the 10 total commercial breaks for the second half are to be finished prior to the end of regulation, commercial breaks are rarely needed in overtime situations. In many cases, overtime periods are conducted without any commercials. This also allows the extended broadcast to finish in a timely manner.

11. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072

I wanna see those Budweiser Clydesdales play football

12. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    [​IMG]

HOLDING!!!!

:eek::eek::eek:

13. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    now we are talking, where can I get season tickets, and do they play in the rain and mud?

14. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,729
    Welcome to the TFL! This should bring them all out of the closet! ROFL

Pointy

15. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    We control the verticle.... We control the horizontal...

16. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    To answer the question, yes, and with $20.5 billion invested there it wouldn't make sense not to tightly control it.

17. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    since I don't buy tickets to the game, I'm not going to complain about commercials, after all, they pay for a huge part of the game. Football is entertainment just like a tv show, so it's perfectly normal that commercial breaks are part of the equation

18. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    But to be part of the game like calling timeouts seems a bit too controlling.

19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    It is all a balancing act in this day of digital wizardry!

20. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    But the players can't tweet from the sidelines....

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    They can, it just costs them more to do so.

22. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    but for those of us that do, that is nothing more than dead time. And that dead time gets old.

23. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072

to stop a game because you have not had enough timeouts so that someone can sell you something where do you draw the line?

Why not let the players wear advertisements like the Soccer players do on the Uniforms.

24. markrc99

markrc99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    It's just as Trumpet Man says, this isn't anything new. There's a guy or sometimes I've seen two who wear something florescent, so to be easily identified. And when they're doing their thing, it is not on the sideline! Their a$$es are very much on the field, dictating precisely when the game will resume. And just as he says, both teams are just standing around doing nothing. So the notion that some eight commercials "are worked in during breaks" isn't exactly the case. This past Sunday at Lambeau, at every break they played a lot of garbage and it was really fuq'n loud. You can't even hear yourself think. That ruined what was otherwise a great experience.

25. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    It seems to me a unknown to us rule like if a 1st drive stalls-cut to comercial. If a drive lasts up to 8 mins or is near scoring range then-cut to commercial.

As I was watching the SD game last week I did notice that KC had a long opening drive that kept the game on everytime I flipped over for another game to watch on guess what a commercial break.

Also from the other side, watching my first ever NFL game in the stadium week 1 vs KC I saw the commercial down time. Unfortunatly shortly after witnessing that game and another I watched Any Given Sunday.

2 things they had as themes in that movie were commercial breaks interupt the game and the players playing a game. The other I will leave to you to know or post if you feel the need.

More and more commercials. Prime time games you can see how they segment commercials in long 3+ minute bursts after the first 25 minuets of gametime. They will stay with the game for the first half of the 1st quarter 8+ minutes, then you could bet on the commercial break times like clockwork.

26. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,729
    So, what do they do to a team where the coach refuses to call time outs during a game? Just curious.

Pointy

27. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341

SO yea what ever happend to 30 minute halftimes? 12 minutes sounds pretty dead on plus 6-10 minutes commercial. And is it just madden that has a 40 second play clock count??

Also I guess I am vaugely remembering some rule tweeks purely designed to speed up the game. Less time to review plays from 90 seconds to 60 for officals under the hood one I remember. :/

And we knew why they were trying to speed up the game, to fit more commercial time. Also the force out rule taken out to lessen the need for on field judgment/officals under the hood eating up precious commercial time. I am so glad I caugt that one Fox feed taht the announcers were able to find a camera that saw the under hood screen. That was great almost as great as when for some reason the hood review malfunctioned in the 08 Hocculi bowl.

GATES caught the ball was down and ddint fumble if i rmember how that went down right...

28. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    Good question. If there are no ramifications why even oblige the order.

29. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Media timeouts occur in college games too. Like I said before, with $20.5 billion invested in broadcasting football to the masses, I couldn't care less about TV's influence on the in-game action.

30. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    would you guys preffer in-game advertisement like in soccer games? let's say that between plays a pepsi logo pops up at the bottom of the screen, maybe a little animation, slogan, et.